Quantcast

how is this not noticed?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by -dustin, Oct 12, 2005.

1. -dustin

-dustin boring

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    girlfriend's mom had to go to the ER yesterday. she was complaining about feeling weak. she has a history of being a hypochondriac, so i don't think anyone took her seriously. until.......

the doc had to give her a pint of blood and from what i was told, had she waited another week, she'd likely be dead.

the doc was going to run tests today to see what the deal was, and why the family's normal doc didn't catch this, but again, her blood was too low, and they had to give her another pint. the ER doc was baffled as to why the original doctor never caught this problem. apparently Mandi's mom had been going to the doc and getting blood work quite often these past few months, complaining of not feeling well. he never said anything was wrong, which of course, led to a greater belief that she was a hypochondriac.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. SkaredShtles

SkaredShtles I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!

Rep/Likes:
    247 / 1,871
    The body is supposed to *manufacture* a sufficient amount of blood for survival. This sounds very strange............. :confused:

3. LordOpie

LordOpie MOTHER HEN

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Is the other doctor... Dr. Acula?

4. Ciaran

Ciaran Fear my banana

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 8
    Maybe your GF's mom is a volkswagen and just needs a top off every once in a while.

5. binary visions

binary visions The voice of reason

Rep/Likes:
    80 / 354
    I just thought of about sixteen puns, involving "going for a ride" or "checking her oil level". I really don't know where to start.

6. Dartman

Dartman Old Bastard Mike

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Bleeding ulcer?

7. lovebunny

lovebunny can i lick your balls?

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 19
    RIP mitch

8. LordOpie

LordOpie MOTHER HEN

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Amen :(

9. -dustin

-dustin boring

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    they're going to check for that tomorrow. i didn't know they bled that much. my dad has/ had one, but he never got as bad as Mandi's mom.

10. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    180 / 1,326
    uh, this story is incomplete. please expand on tests, results, and what you mean by "her blood was too low"

11. splat

splat Nam I am

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 60
    Well Maybe Windows is Bearable ! Unix Rules !
    "Hello Everybody !!! "
    "Hi Dr. Nick!! "

12. -dustin

-dustin boring

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Dr. Toshi (you're in med school, right?) -

yeah, there's lots missing. and unfortunately, i won't know what all is missing because her parents and her younger brother keep info under wraps. they know mandi would take it really bad. one of her sisters doesn't know anything at all yet. the family has some weird traits. hopefully i'll know more tomorrow when more tests are run.

13. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    180 / 1,326
    yeah, i'm in med school, slogging through 2nd year now. and in our urinary system class we're actually learning about volume and salt concentration disorders, so i'm curious to see what's up and how it's worked up :D

14. -dustin

-dustin boring

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    i'll keep you posted. i'll even try to use fancy words like leukocytes and erythrocytes.

15. robdamanii

robdamanii OMG! <3 Tom Brady!

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Hrm....wonder if she is anemic, low hematocrit, etc, or just low plasma volume.

Interesting to say the least.

16. scrublover

scrublover Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    13 / 620
    1. your body can have sloooooooow loss (slow enough that you don't notice over time), that it slowly compensates for in terms of blood pressure and so on, until it gets to the point you can no loger compensate, then problems start cropping up. one of those in hindsite things: "you know, i have been feeling kinda' run down the last few months....."

2. i'll not get into detail, but your red cell (or other blood component) production can be off for a variety of reasons, so that you are not producing enough/any/the right kind of cells. or could be some sort of auto-immune thing: you are making the stuff, but your body is destroying it faster/more than normal.

3. the thing to do is figure out which is the case (or maybe a combo of both), and the root cause of it, and why her compensatory mechanisms aren't kicking in properly. could be a host of many things. can't really tell in her case,without labwork and so on to work with.

either one of these to a degree, or in combo can be trouble.
    chronic anemic states; we see them all the time where i'm at, more prevalent in elderly population, or folks with some sort of malnutrition state (ie; folks with eating disorders)

dave, your friendly ICU and sometimes ER nurse.

17. -dustin

-dustin boring

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    initial diagnosis - colon cancer. not a good time for this. well, it's never a good time for it, but now...it's just not good.

18. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    180 / 1,326
    good luck to her and to you as well. never a good time indeed.

19. golgiaparatus

golgiaparatus Out of my element

Rep/Likes:
    15 / 41
    I have been through this... in my intestine. Blood count fell dramatically. Took a few docs to figure it out. Take her to a gastrointerologist or mention it.

They put me on asocol and I bounced back in a few months. Never had to have a transfusion but my RBC fell to 8 from 16 in 4 days (which is high but I was a pretty crazy athlete being a college swimmer and all).

20. -dustin

-dustin boring

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    got a call today, and was told the cancer was found early enough and it is believe that it has not spread anywhere. she goes in for surgery tomorrow.