Quantcast

How light is to light?

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
I got a ccouple of early xmas presents,one is the Serfas saddle that is the copy of a SLR.I think the Serfas is 10g heavier but way more comfy.I also got a set of EC90 bars.Took the boat anchor Bontrager saddle off and it weighed in at a few grams under 400.Put the new saddle and bars on,and my C-dale SS keeps gettin lighter and lighter.Now it weighed 20.6 before this swap so it should be right at 20 flat.Now i still have lx crank and a heavy bb.Is there any such thing as to light?Just a question cuz i'm bored:p

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
too light is when things start to bend or break easily....or when you start floating...

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
When things start to break during normal use or are just a plain old safety risk, that's too light. Stan currently has a Salsa hardtail built to 18.? pounds with luck discs and knobbies but he only weighs 150lbs so he can get away with it and hasn't broken anything yet.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Originally posted by GravityFreakTJ
think the Serfas is 10g heavier but way more comfy.
I always go with comfort. I have boogers that weigh more than 10g.

Of course, my main XC bike weighs 29.5lbs...

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
a few months ago I was quite concerned with saving a couple of grams, now I've realised with the longer enduro type rides/races we are doing now, comfort and durability are way more important. I was so amped to get my bike weight from 25 to 24 lbs, now I dont bother, I'm tired of pinching super light tubes, and plus I'm carying more and more in my camelback, so 35g saving on my bike is cancelled out by that extra CO2 canister and spare tube, energy bars, car keys etc etc.

lastly, never worry about the weight of your saddle, ride the one that fits your ass !

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The perfect bike is the ultimate compromise between price, weight, durability and performance. If your interested in such a thing it takes a whole lot of trial and error to get it right. Personally I have found my perfect bike, a SC superlight with a Fox Float 100 coming in well under 24lbs when I clean the mud off of it. It is light, fast and tough. The only thing I seem to destroy are chains, rear mechs and bottom brackets and I can't seem to find a solution to that no matter the weight.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
we have a guy here in town that has a Giant XTC hardtail built up at 17.5lbs. it has 27gears. i'll try to get a full parts spec next time i see him. but we did use a digi fish scale to get it.
(i rode it in the parking lot, i thought my road bike flexed.)