Quantcast

How long at your current job?

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Today is my four year anniversary with this company. It's the longest stint I've had with one company since finishing college (4th job in 10 years) and I'm not planning on leaving anytime soon.

Job 1: 3 years, left for a promotion opportunity
Job 2: 2 years, jumped shipped when company was heading into bankruptcy (has since gone under)
Job 3: 1 year, lost my job
Current job: 4 years

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
3yrs

Here's a question, when you're young is it good to change jobs to get pay increases?

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Co-op during college - same company for 3 years
Job 1: 3years, left becasue I could see they were going NOWHERE
Job 2: 4years, left becasue I could see I was going NOWHERE
All of these were within on big corporation

Current Job: 2 years and going so fast I can barely keep up!

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
stosh said:
3yrs

Here's a question, when you're young is it good to change jobs to get pay increases?
As long as you don't change jobs every six months and are continuously employed. When I interviewed here, they were concerned about my three jobs in six years. I assured them I wanted a place to settle into for a while.

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
6 Years same job 3 different companies as there were a succession of acquisitions and mergers...only thing that has changed is the letterhead really..and we moved Offices from Boulder to Denver.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
1st job 4 years, left because I travelled too much

2nd and current coming up on 7 years. I want to change job's/careers but I don't know what I want to be when I grow up. Until I figure it out it isn't worth changing from one crap job to another crap job just to change jobs.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Before I moved to Seattle I had two jobs. One for 3 years and the next for 6. Since I have been here I have been stuck in contract hell, but have been on this one for almost a year.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
10 years in July.... add in my military time and I'm going over 15 years! Nothing like getting 8 hrs of annual leave per pay period!*

:dancing:

*that's a day off every two weeks.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Had a whole bunch of bike shop jobs in the 90's. Changed 'career' in 2000 and have been with the same org since. Multiple promotions within.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I Are Baboon said:
As long as you don't change jobs every six months and are continuously employed. When I interviewed here, they were concerned about my three jobs in six years. I assured them I wanted a place to settle into for a while.
I would like that but I feel I may be topping out in my pay here.

I'm going to assume they give me a $1/hr raise this year. Then when my boss says "is that good" I'll say "no". I'm going to do it this year. There are a billion jobs around here for me. The ONLY problem is I really like this office and work. Problem is I don't feel I'm being paid for what I do.

Not sure if you read in the GMT the other day but my future x-con brother in law is making more money than me packing lettuce in a tractor trailer.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
stosh said:
I would like that but I feel I may be topping out in my pay here.

I'm going to assume they give me a $1/hr raise this year. Then when my boss says "is that good" I'll say "no". I'm going to do it this year. There are a billion jobs around here for me. The ONLY problem is I really like this office and work. Problem is I don't feel I'm being paid for what I do.

Not sure if you read in the GMT the other day but my future x-con brother in law is making more money than me packing lettuce in a tractor trailer.
I did read that.

Well Stoshly, you've got the age old job question to answer: Look for more money elsewhere with the uncertaintly that comes with it, or stay where you are for less pay and be happy. Money has always been more a motivator for me, although I tend to be happy no matter where I go.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I Are Baboon said:
I did read that.

Well Stoshly, you've got the age old job question to answer: Look for more money elsewhere with the uncertaintly that comes with it, or stay where you are for less pay and be happy. Money has always been more a motivator for me, although I tend to be happy no matter where I go.
True, I tend to be happy no matter where I go as well. Here they have given me tremendous responsability which makes me more valuable to other companies.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
About 20 jobs since college. There's a lot of job hopping in my field, and I get bored with situations. Like cars, bikes and women.

:cool:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I Are Baboon said:
Time to cash in that lottery ticket, muchambo. :cool:
Ha!
Yeah we'll see!

It's a tough market around here. We're right on the edge of payscales around here.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
1.5 years at current job (a postdoc). I'm looking elsewhere. Hopefully I'll be out of here before 3 years. It's not that I don't like the job. I just don't want to be a postdoc for ever!

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
stosh said:
WTF is a POSTDOC?

Post doctoral. It's an intermediate position you take right after you get your PhD where in principle you fluff up your curriculum vitae (fancy word for resume) with a bunch of publications so you can find a good faculty position somewhere.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jdschall said:
Post doctoral. It's an intermediate position you take right after you get your PhD where in principle you fluff up your curriculum vitae (fancy word for resume) with a bunch of publications so you can find a good faculty position somewhere.
What are you getting your PhD in?

J

JRB

A few before horseshoeing. 8 years for that. I was broke the whole time, but livin' the dream.

3 years farming with a friend.

2 years or so at McLane as a computer operator. Left for hours and money.

2 1/2 years at last gig. Liked customer service mgr and would have retired there, but I didn't dig the new management team, so I planned to leave. Fortunately - they beat to the punch and I got severance and a new job.

3 months here - we'll see.

J

JRB

splat said:
6 years next month and seriously thinking about changing right now. ( was at one job for 13 years, thats my longest )
I'll bet they all hate you there. :D

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
It will be 6 years on July 11th.

2 jobs, same company. Started at the physicians' computer help desk, and moved into desktop/field support which is where I am now.