Quantcast

how long before you think your folks are dead?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
how long would it take you to notice, due to lack of communication? i'm a 36 year-old only-child living out of the nest, and mom and i agreed that she'd need to be radio silent and dead in the house for about a month before i'd begin to notice something was not quite right.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
due to lack of comm... eh....

Mom... 30sec since she lives with her sister
Dad... 3 days tops, but most likely an hour or two since I'm friends with his landlord and chess buddy

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I check on my Dad daily. Sometimes I just roll by his house and if the lights are on. I skip town. He is pretty self sufficient so I leave him alone mostly. Since he is now blind I do what I can.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
i talk to mom about once a week, but if I don't get some awful email forwarded to me at least every other day, I would call.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Talk to my parents every weekend. If not, I send an email to them the following week.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
My mom just had a baby (well 3 years ago) and has a new german husband. He is a total contratian tool but if it works for her it is cool. Though I dont talk to her that often(she hates my dads guts and Im more like him so we have little in common and she distances herself from me a bit) so it would take 2 weeks up to a month. As for my father I would say 1-2 days. I talk to him often, we snowboard and ride bikes often. Though he fainted at work this year and got up to 230-240lbs so I need to get him to train and eat healthy.
Any tips for convincing your 50 year old stubborn as hell woraholic father to change his lifestyle?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Is it bad that since I am home for the holidays I am thinking "Yea, I'd guess they were dead, but I really wouldn't give enough of a **** to check into it..."

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
By the end f the day for me... Dad drives truck with my little bro so I would know pretty quick with him... Mom I hear from regularly, and her boss has my cell phone and calls me anytime she is not on her normal time of showing up to make sure she is ok.

I expect to be getting that call about dad sometime in the next couple years

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Mom: I'd know within minutes via my siblings. I'm the independent child of the three, so I'd be the last to know.

Father: Who knows. I haven't spoken to him in 26 years and don't know anyone who has.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Due to the size of my family (parents divorced when I was 8, remarried, blahblahblah), I'd know within an hour of any of them going. Granted, if I was at work, and can't answer my cell while on the floor, it may actually be longer, but the message would be there within an hour.....

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
my mom, within 6 hours... she still works and am the emergency contact.

my dad? within 7 days, he lives alone in an appartment, and at 64 years old, he is still going out at night, gambling and getting hammered, so its not really unusual if he isnt available, doesnt sleep at his appartment for 1 or 2 days....

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Damn, judging by the responses from a lot of you it seems there are a lot of mommy/daddy issues. Do we need to rename the website Therapymonkey? :think::D

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Not long as my parents are still together.....however I am predicting a murder/suicide scenario any time now.
I'd say if they tried to kill each other for producing you, that's justifiable homicide in pretty much any court in any jurisdiction...

:D

I'd know about Mom in 30 seconds, because that's how often my ****ing sister calls her. It's ridiculous. Dad might take 12-24 hours.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
My parents disappear for weeks at a time. They go off traveling without letting other people know, or with only the merest passing reference in an email.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My Father clearly has more punishment to exact. He will be around for a while to go. He's bullet proof I tell ya....

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Well, after my summer fiasco involving my elderly mom who wrecked her car/ended up in the hospital and "didn't want to bother me", I'd say that I'd know right away now if anything went awry. Have a private aide seeing her 5X a week and got her a lifeline that links up the local hospital with a direct call to me as well. I also try to call daily and monitor her bank account (double checking on the aide!). Seems paranoid I know, but she's already been a victim of elder-type scams a few times.

Last edited:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Might take a year or so for me to find out?
Old mans been dead a couple of years now, but mum?
Well shes 74 and I honestly never even know what Hemisphere of the planet shes in let along what country or god forbid what town!
Usually get maybe 2 emails and 1-2 postcards a year from random parts of the globe.
Although this year was exceptional..... 2 days after my 40th I got a phone call from mum apologizing that she'd forgotten to send the pressie, a month later a really nasty Tshirt 2 sizes to big arrived from Vietnam......

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Fvcked up thread is fvcked up
You know it really isnt, fact is this is something people should have thought about. Sad thing is most are afraid of death and dealing with it, its just another part of life and personally if Ithought one of them had kicked the bucket in the night I would rather find them fast then a couple weeks later...