Quantcast

How long could you survive?.......

How long could you survive?

• an hour without facebook and I would die!

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • overnight is about as "tough" as I get

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • 48 hours and I have spent everything I know

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • 3 days would be testing my luck

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • 1 week and I would starve, need bacon!

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • Forever, tis my true element

Votes: 29 46.0%

• Total voters

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
What sort of wilderness. We talking available water here?

I've been watching a lot of man vs wild recently and I'm a bit over weight so I should be good for at least 8-10 hours.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Does this test involve a wild boar and making bacon man-style ?

You would have to make some tools first, then build the smoke house before you hunted the boar.

This could work, when do we go ?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I think I'd be ok for a week or so. I've spent a fair amount of time in the bush (obviously with supplies) and know how to hunt and identify edible food. I know how to start a fire with no tools, although 'how to' and 'can do' are two different things!

I think in a survival situation, I'd last until rescue came presuming injuries aren't a factor.

I'd also need a spatula. And maybe a rice cooker.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'd be able to get by for at least a week, maybe more. I've done 4 days with a pocket knife and 3 matches and would've been ok to continue. Winter time? Maybe not so long...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
unless you have outrageously low body fat, the average human can survive nearly a week without food. you can't go 24 hours without water.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I survived for 3 weeks with just an ounce of weed following the Grateful Dead in 1987. This included a week long stand at Madison Square Gardens in NYC and the 3 or 4 nights in Philly...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Great question. There's a little voice inside me that wants to find out. I'd like to think I would do well, but the situation would of course set the terms.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Luckily for me I always keep a Rambo style survival knife crammed up my wazoo. Especially when going through airport security.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I think I'd be ok for a week or so. I've spent a fair amount of time in the bush (obviously with supplies) and know how to hunt and identify edible food. I know how to start a fire with no tools, although 'how to' and 'can do' are two different things!

I think in a survival situation, I'd last until rescue came presuming injuries aren't a factor.

I'd also need a spatula. And maybe a rice cooker.
:stupid: Though I can do without a spatula and a rice cooker, but I would need a spork!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
derp survival by gonzales is an excellent book on how to not be a complete idiot in the woods.

Perhaps the most interesting subject he comes across is that small children, 1-6, are extremely resilient in the woods, whereas older children are the weakest. Reason being the younger tykes sleep when they're tired, find food when they're hungry, and stay out of the elements, ie trusting their instincts. Older kids want their mommy for everything, and end up dying.

Anybody else read this?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Catching animals to eat is probably harder than it looks and I don't know how long I could go on plants. Life would probably be easier with a pocketknife. I would like to think I would make it longer than a week, but who knows. I think that when I got to the point of starving, my menu choices would increase significantly...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
derp survival by gonzales is an excellent book on how to not be a complete idiot in the woods.

Perhaps the most interesting subject he comes across is that small children, 1-6, are extremely resilient in the woods, whereas older children are the weakest. Reason being the younger tykes sleep when they're tired, find food when they're hungry, and stay out of the elements, ie trusting their instincts. Older kids want their mommy for everything, and end up dying.

Anybody else read this?
Yes, great book. It had a common theme to The Hitch Hikers Guide, don't panic.

I loved the opening story about his father getting shot down in WWII.