Quantcast

How long do you expect your bike to last?

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
I ride a 2006 Preston with the majority of parts from a 2004 P.3 and a fork from 2005. This weekend I suddenly started wanting a new bike. I started making excuses for the purchase - the parts are four years old - aren't I past due for a new setup? But by Sunday I must have come to my senses because I realized it's not that old of a bike yet and as noisy and creaky as it gets, it still moves forward when I pedal. And I'm glad for that because I can't shell out $3,000 for a new bike right now and I'd rather put that money toward a down payment on a house. But I have a feeling in another couple years I will definitely need / want a complete change.

I seem to have this expectation that a nice bike will have a short lifespan for some reason. I guess it falls into line with most of the other products I buy. I know my iPod will last only a few years. I probably haven't owned the same car for more than five years. I'm on my second computer in five years. Is it normal for a bike to follow that trend then?

And it may not even break. It may just get old.

When you buy a new bike, how long do you expect it to last?

And I don't necessarily mean specifically when it should fall apart and break, but also when does it just "feel old" and you desire a change?

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Same here i went threw a phase of wanting a new bike, but i came to my senses and said to my self it still does everything i need it to. It's the rider not the bike.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I got my C'dale Prophet in 2005 and expect to keep it at least another 2 years. Probably 3 or 4. It is still perfect with no creaks. Barring some amazing technology that I feel I must have I can't see replaceing it.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I think it depends on where you draw the "this bike is old and worn out line."

For me, my Yeti cost me big bucks, so as long as the frame is in good shape, I'll be riding that for quite a while yet (it's 3 years old now). IMO, some squeeks and chatter does not warrant a new bike. If the frame is damaged or the suspension technology is significantly outdated, then I could see considering a replacement.

But if it's not as shiny as it used to be, that's not reason to be buying a new bike (IMO). That said, I want a new bike about once a month.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I've upgraded everything on my 04 Stinky (four different forks, etc.) and almost want the frame to crack, to justify buying a Preston or the like, but it prolly won't. I still love that bike.

I've had it longer than any of my three wives...

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Aw hell, it happens to me at least every other month. I just got done test riding all these new bikes, then convinced/reminded myself that I really like my frame so i went and bought all new SRAM components, a new handlebar, a new stem and new wheels. All done it was $400 bucks versus $2300 and my "old" bike will be practically "new".

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
here's my stable:

03 spec enduro
02 giant DH
00 IF crown jewel
01 evil imperial

everything still works fine. if i need to update a fork or shock, i will.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I still ride a 97 (I think!) Jamis Dragon on occasion. It is still sweet, although everything on it has been changed over the years. And it is for sale...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I ride them until they break
my last road bike broke after 19 years got replaced with another Steel Colnago frame
My 86 Hoo koo e koo got given away in 98

I still ride my 98 Specialized FSR and my 2000 Schwinn 4Banger but the only original stuff left on the FSR is the Frame and crank arms and on the Schwin, Frame, Hayes Hydraulic brakes, crank arm

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I get a different bike about every year. My bike this year is an '03 frame and '02 fork with all new everything else.

I replace stuff as it wears out, but I like to ride different things. I have wanted a GT DHi since '03, but never had a chance to get one until a few months ago. I doubt I will have it more than a year, but I will enjoy it as long as I have it.

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
One positive thing that came out of this sudden feeling of inadequacy was the realization that I need to take better care of my bike. I've decided to try wrenching on my own bike now, rather than place trust in repair shops which never seem meet my expectations. I figure if I can at least keep my frame in tip-top shape then the parts can be replaced as needed.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Fooling around with new stuff is major fun for me, especially on the mtb side since the technology keeps making big leaps IMO. I really enjoy working with and riding new parts, and it's cool to see how things have progressed over the years. So, I am pretty much constantly checking out gear and pining for something new. It's a passion and one thing I indulge shamelessly.

That said, I expect to keep road bikes for many years. My current road bike is 9 years old or something like that. I kinda want a new one but am in no hurry.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
DH rig... 4 more years (i'm not that hardcore)
Trail Bike... 2 more years (it's a piece of crap but it still pedals)
Road Bike... forever (it's almost 3 years old and I'm still on my first set of tires.)

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
2005 Sunday but with lots of new parts over the years.

2001 Kona Chute even some 1999 parts on the bike.

Both are in great shape. After finally find frames I like and fit me fine tuning parts I much more fun than changing a whole bike. Only thing that would make me do anything is a new DW link DH bike. Dave I am ready to place my order.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I expect to keep a frame for a good while, with continual parts upgrades/ replacements as I break stuff, or just want something better. My frames (discounting the roadie, which is early '80s) range in age from '96 to '07. None are even a little bit stock. On the flip side, I've had frames last as little as 5 months before breaking.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
my xc bike is (was) from 1996, including 1996 era componentry. i just finally retired it this year, converting it into a commuter ride for my girlfriend.

my road bike is from 2000. it won itself a new front fork when it fell off the roof rack on the freeway a few years back :D but otherwise is trucking along just fine.

chains, chainrings, and cassettes are a lot cheaper to replace than the feeling of having a bike that fits properly.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I use to go through bikes and parts like underwear but I have since changed my ways...as long as everything still works I see no need to replace with the latest "cool" item that probably works the same as my 3 year old parts and costs to much money..D

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I expect my bikes to last untill I break them. Parts get replaced, forks get serviced, wheels wear out. But the frames should last. One of the only reasons I Have replaced my bikes in the past was for one of two reasons so far. One, outdated suspension, or two, My skill level advanced me into another bike with bigger suspension. I expect to have my Dirtbag till either I break it, or parts are no longer available to keep fixing the little stuff

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I hang onto my bikes, haven't ever sold any yet. Replace parts as they're needed.

I am happy with my harem as it now sits. I feel no need to replace or buy anything new for a long while.
The next new frame will be one I design/build myself, so I'll have something new whenever I get off my @ss and make it happen.