Quantcast

How long do you keep your DH bike?

yopaulie

Monkey
Jun 4, 2009
NH
It's that time of year when I hear about all the new bikes my bro's will be getting. I feel like the only one who gets a new bike when my frame cracks. Having said that I have a 08 Glory freeride (since 07) and it seems like I can't break this one.
I want a new bike but with 3 kids, 2 grand kids, house, bla bla bla I cant justify it.

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
Ride it till it breaks!!!:thumb: Im still on an 05 frame, so dont feel left out. I look at it like this...some new parts, fresh PC or paint= New bike:D I know how you feel though. Always want the latest and greatest but damn the new stuff is pricey:( just put the money where its needed most on your current ride and Im sure you'll be happy.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
My stable is a Santacruz Chameleon from way back in the day, I think the newest part on it is a set of hone cranks and an 03 zocchi, my commuter is a raleigh mercury roadie bike from the 80s.

No need for a new bike as I still don't get the most out of the ones I already have, and more to the point I seem to be perpetually broke.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If you like it, keep it. I change my dh bike every 2-3 seasons though previously I've had good reasons to change them, now I'd have to probably find a pretty good excuse.

Though what people above me said - If you like it, get some new parts. Wide bars, nice pedals, maybe some new better susp (avy cart? protone air spring to make it lighter), ccdb or elka shock? Some compo changes felt as big as a completely new bike.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Ride it 'till I can't get parts to keep it running. I've got an '04 Specialized Enduro and an '07 Big Hit, neither one shows any sign of dying soon.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Im on my 2007 VPFree, and I still ride (hard) my 2002 Chameleon.

Ill be getting a new DH bike/frame this year, but the VPF will stay active!

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Since 03'. It's Had 4 paint jobs so far, & been to every mtn. in N.E, & NJ, NY. (except for Jiminy, I gotta get ther next year...)
Oh, & I made it in my basement:thumb:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I usually change bike every 2 years. More often in previous years, but when they become big and expensive, I had to change my habits a bit ;)

yopaulie

Monkey
Jun 4, 2009
NH
I am going to keep the bike and I do love it. The only real downfall is the heft of the frame, but that has made it strong. I have almost everything I want on it now (2010 Boxxer WC, wider bars, etc..) except the rear shock. It came OE with the Rocco R (rebound only) so that is all I really need to upgrade (looses air pressure from one ride to the next).
Sean you bikes are cool....and they should not just say made in the USA but also in my basement! :)

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Per the usual, I will add my Capt. Obvious commentary -

I had a '05 V-10 for 4 years of so, and used it for all my DH & freehuck needs. Put a CCDB on it, and slowly upgraded/replaced most of the parts over time. And while I doubt it "slowed me down" any at DH races, I finally decided I wanted something that rode differently (i.e. not with 45% sag) and had more modern racer geo. Enter this guy:

So pragmatically, you could argue I should ride the V-10 until it explodes, but I honestly don't know if it would ever break given how much I ride. Plus, there is the intangible issue of just being stoked about a new DH rig - which I most definitely am. And FWIW, the TR450 does ride much differently than the V10 and feels more aggressive in terms of geo.

In the end, there is simply no way I can rationally justify getting a new DH rig seeing how infrequently I ride it. It'd be different if I lived in Squamish or even near Diablo, where you could legitimately ride a DH bike throughout the warm months. That said, I figure if I am going to drive all the way to a DH race and pay the race fee, I might as well ride something that maximizes my experience. :thumb:

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Having said that I have a 08 Glory freeride (since 07) and it seems like I can't break this one.
These are probably the toughest frames ever made. Besides their heft, one of the other caveats to it's design is the abnormally steep headangle... My buddy decided to run a Boxxer like you, but he installed a pair of K9 angled cups to slacken things out a bit... It put his HA a touch over 65 deg.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I agree with uncle cliffy. The only thing that bike really needs is a slacker front end. If they had anglesets when I owned mine, I would probably still own it today. Rad bike, and ridiculously solid feeling.

yopaulie

Monkey
Jun 4, 2009
NH
I agree with uncle cliffy. The only thing that bike really needs is a slacker front end. If they had anglesets when I owned mine, I would probably still own it today. Rad bike, and ridiculously solid feeling.
I did put in the Works components angled cups (cost 1/2 of the K9 set) and along with the Boxxer the geo feels spot on.

Jackalope, if I was buying a new frame the TR would be on the short list. Oh and I found a way to bust the old V10 (borrowed from my bro)...by crashing....hard...airlifted from platty hard...but that's another story.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Oh and I found a way to bust the old V10 (borrowed from my bro)...by crashing....hard...airlifted from platty hard.
Note to self - don't ever crash Platty hard if possible.

Glad you survived, but thats honestly one of the few breakage incidents I've heard about that era V-10. I should add another "upside" about a new DH rig, is that since the V-10 has nominal monetary value now, I'm trying to slowly rebuild it and ship it to my Uncle's crib in Whistler. No more bike rentals! :weee:

Anyway, good luck with whatever you end up doing. My vote is a new green 450 ;)

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I rode a 2004 Demo 9 for almost four seasons. Next year I'll be on my fourth frame in as many seasons and not by choice. On dented from a crash, one wrecked by a friend and the last one cracked and being replaced under warranty. :(

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I'm on a 07 Rotec RL-9, had it since it was new. I wouldn't mind a new DH bike but every time I think of the money I just think about the other cool stuff I could do with that money, like a bike road trip. Unless I stumble across a really good deal I'm going to ride it for at least another 2 years.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Growing up working in shops, I used to buy a new DH bike at least once a year, sometimes more often if I couldn't get adjusted. Then I rode my 08 RT DHR for nearly two seasons and I realized how nice it is to be familiar with a bike. My next frame only lasted 6mos before it cracked and I was over it, but I imagine I'll be on my Makulu for another season or two before I consider changing frames.

Being familiar and comfortable with your setup by far trumps having the most baller setup. Case in point, think about that guy(s) you ride with that tears ass on a haggard old Sunday.

BikerBoy28

Monkey
Jul 3, 2006
Bellingham, Wa
Just retired my 05 Haro Werx seven for a 2010 Kona Stab. The haro was an awesome bike, just needed to be slacked out a little. I'll probably build it as a Whistler machine.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt

Say whaaaaat?! Are you sure you didn't just lose the spark for the v10 once it wasn't good enough for Craig to race at nationals?

To the original poster...I've been on the "ride it till it dies" program until recently. What I've realized with something as expensive as a DH bike is that sometimes its worthwhile to sell it before its completely clapped. I've taken huge hits on selling DH bikes because I waited until they were completely trashed...then you're left with no bike and no cash, and new DH bikes are retarded expensive. I'm not a total bike whore, but I do plan on selling my current DH rig while its still in good shape so I actually get something out of it.

But if you're happy with your bike and it still works then sometimes there's no reason to upgrade. Spend the cash on lift tickets!

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
I'm still on an '06 Demo 8. I like it, has good geo (oddly enough different than what they listed- 64'ha and 14" bb), but its definitely time for something different. Something a little more nimble, adjustable, longer shock, and modern parts (150m hub, 83mm bb, 1.5" headtube). I'm looking to either get a Yeti RDH or Intense 951 on Go-Ride. 2 bikes I've wanted since they came out, but now dirt cheap.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
lmao @ the tags.

I change mine over when I have a reason to - had one DH bike for 6 months before I sold it for a much nicer bike, kept that one for almost 5 years, had the next one for 8 months till I broke it at which point I bought a new frame, kept that until the warranty replacement for the broken one was available, then back on the warrantied frame. Keeping the current bike until either I have enough money to spare to blow on another bike, or something significantly more appealing pops up.

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
I usually go every season bc i work at a shop and can usually recoop enough money to get a new rig.

But with people that come into the store, i usually suggest every 2-3 years. I always suggest a full tune-up, new bearings, new seals/oil in the suspension, and sometimes a powdercoat if it's pretty worked every year. It usually ends up costing 250 but you have a brand new bike

dunno why folks still hate on people that get a new frame every year. so what, i don't care what their reasons are. consumer dollars drive the industry, get new protos made, and help fund a race program.

if you've got the means, keep on keepin' on. or, if you wanna keep riding your trusty rig year after year, good for you too!

i usually get new frames every 1-2 seasons, depending on usage/condition.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
I try to ride stuff to just before it explodes. I check my frames for cracks religiously so have always been able to catch cracks before a catastrophic failure.

For the last few years I've been on a 8-15 month frame cycle.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
Why be unhappy with a bike for years just so you can call yourself economical? This is America, waste your money!! Maximize your quantum consumer whore potential.
Maybe people aren't unhappy with there bike and they understand that its more about the ride than the bike?

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
IDK - i get bored with what i have pretty easily.

Plus i'm a tech geek and a gullible tool, so i want to believe that the latest is the greatest.

I work in the industry so it seems justifiable sometimes.

Usually only switch frames though, and anything that isn't a DH bike (08 SX Trail, Chromag Samurai, CX bike) will get kept.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
i recently switched to new frame. Before I bought the frame year 2002 :) 8 years old ..

dont worry. ride until break or switch if you think the current frame offer enough improvement as geometry, weight, material

I wonder what kind of frame will it be for year 2020? :D

Last edited:

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
I used to get a new DH frame every year sometimes two in a year, I would have 2-3 built dh/freeride bikes at a time. Now I don't make nearly as much so I am limited on what I can do. Just put fresh powder and 2010/11 parts on my vp free, it served pretty well this season, just not a full Dh bike.

I wish I could say I new what the next bike will be but I don't

Last edited:

Patrick L

Chimp
Feb 14, 2010
Peoria/Kansas City/Bozeman
i've been on a kona stinky since 05'. being a poor college student i haven't had the financial opportunities to build up a new bike, just some minor new parts here or there to keep her riding. that said i think my bike and I are both at a point where an end to our relationship would be appropriate within the next year and a new rig shall be built up. maybe an old Demo 8 or TR450

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
i've got a 06? commencal dh supreme. i love it. gonna ride it till it breaks (everyone is surprised it hasn't already?). love the way it feels and fits me. i've just about got it to 38 lbs too. sometimes you just fall in love with a bike and its built just good enough that you can't break anything on it. why replace something that already does everything you want exactly how you want it to do it?