Quantcast

How long do you keep your DH bike?

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
I've been one to keep my bikes, this year i sold both my 04 Tazer and my 05 DHR (saddest moment of my life). On the way are an Operator and a Tanuki DL as replacements. I plan on keeping them for a season or 2 and selling while prices are still high. the difference will be a "rental fee". then you never have a bike thats out of date and your not dumping endless cash for a bike that will never return its value

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I rode my V10 for 5 seasons, Just picked up a round tube DHR that was 3 months of winter riding used, hopefully I'll get 5 seasons out of this one. New fork and shock internals every year or 2 and I'm happy

adstock

Chimp
Sep 12, 2006
'04 DHR

Selling her now though... Want to try something new since this is the only REAL DH bike I've ever owned.

$500 frame only or $950 with Avy hi/low w/ ti spring

shameless plug, i know...

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I just sold my dh bike, it had 2, 1/2 seasons on it. I had planned on a new demo for next year but even with my discount the price is just too steep. To make the money situation even worse, we will be closing on our first house in 2 months. Looks like I'll be riding my SS next year, if I ever get that fixed...

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
Maybe people aren't unhappy with there bike and they understand that its more about the ride than the bike?
This is directed toward those who say to self, "I want that new frame, but I suppose there is nothing wrong with mine." Im not saying that people should indeed buy new bikes every year because I don't. But I know quite a bit of people who have bikes that they are not thrilled with including myself and won't buy another because of money. I will only spend money on my dh bike. I am perfectly happy with a ****ty xc bike, even though I could really use a new one.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Until it breaks, or until I have a reason to change. That has been 4 years at the longest, or 2 months at the shortest.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Rocking a mini link from '01, I think. I've ridden it for 3.5 seasons now.
Pedals, rims, forks, these things wear out. With periodic service there's no reason a frame can't last a long long time.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
If you have a good relationship with a shop or have some other means of getting a nice discount on a new bike, about 2 seasons seems to be the sweet spot financially. After 2 seasons, the bike/technology seems to get outdated at a faster rate, and the re-sale value on your old bike drops dramatically.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Kid ownership has killed my funding of the cycling industry hype machine. Going into season 5 with a refresh of a few worn bits.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
My 2002 SC V-10 is still going strong so I cannot find a good excuse to replace it.

Note to self - don't ever crash Platty hard if possible.

Glad you survived, but thats honestly one of the few breakage incidents I've heard about that era V-10. I should add another "upside" about a new DH rig, is that since the V-10 has nominal monetary value now, I'm trying to slowly rebuild it and ship it to my Uncle's crib in Whistler. No more bike rentals! :weee:

Anyway, good luck with whatever you end up doing. My vote is a new green 450 ;)

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
If you have a good relationship with a shop or have some other means of getting a nice discount on a new bike, about 2 seasons seems to be the sweet spot financially. After 2 seasons, the bike/technology seems to get outdated at a faster rate, and the re-sale value on your old bike drops dramatically.
I respectufully disagree... How long has the DW link been going strong? I've been riding some version of it since 2002 and the first Hollowpoint. And the VPP tech? What about Horst links? :thumb:

The top 3 main suspension designs have all been around for almost 10 years.

As for the resale value, THAT I will agree with but I think it is more psychological than anything.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I respectufully disagree... How long has the DW link been going strong? I've been riding some version of it since 2002 and the first Hollowpoint. And the VPP tech? What about Horst links? :thumb:

As for the resale value, THAT I will agree with but I think it is more psychological than anything.
VPP and Horst have been around a lot longer than that.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO

Good points, all around.

While I agree those suspension technologies are still strong/relevant, I think the other components and/or geometry on the bike will become outdated more quickly. In my experience, after about 2 years on a new bike, the re-sale starts to drop dramatically due to these sorts of issues (and wear & tear). However, if you can flip the bike before you hit that critical tipping point, you'll generally make a lot more money that you can put towards your new rig.

--JP

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
At 42 I dont think I will be out growning my ride....well maybe I am getting shorter now so I may be under growing from my ride. ;)
Ahhhh . . . don't limit yourself by your age. I'm 55 and am still (I think anyway) getting faster and going bigger than I did at 50. Maybe not recently but there were earlier bikes that I definitely rode to the limits of their capabilities (in my hands at least) and felt the need to move up.

That's about what I have found too. Two seasons and it's time to pass that fun onto someone else while there's still some good left in it.

yopaulie

Monkey
Jun 4, 2009
NH
Ahhhh . . . don't limit yourself by your age. I'm 55 and am still (I think anyway) getting faster and going bigger than I did at 50. Maybe not recently but there were earlier bikes that I definitely rode to the limits of their capabilities (in my hands at least) and felt the need to move up.

That's about what I have found too. Two seasons and it's time to pass that fun onto someone else while there's still some good left in it.
I will never give in to age....as a number anyway. I have gone bigger this year than any year previous. Having said that I have stepped down to race cat 1 next year and look forward to have fun racing with less stress.
So I agree don’t limit yourself by age and keep on pushing!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

I hate when people think that VPP= All bikes with VPP. Same for DW link.

Old VPP bikes had some silly characteristics and worked crap with some dampers. Same for sunday - get a linear shock and you won't be to happy. They still can be upgraded. There is a lot of freedom in a given patent (especialy in the SC trollish patents).

Though I agree, the technology doesn't change as fast. Though with a sport that young it's hard to plot trends ;)