Quantcast

How long do you wear a pair of shoes?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I've worn my current pair of work shoes (Doc Martins) almost every single day for 2 years now.

The pair before them (WalMart), I wore everyday from 1998-2003.

I don't think the Doc's are going to hold up much longer.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Shoes for riding on flat pedals (BMX, DH, freeride) I go thru a couple pairs a year.

My SIDI Dominators seem to last an average of 3 seasons.

My Jesus shoes seem to last a couple of summers.

I never wear out "dress" shoes. I just throw them away when they go out of style.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Shoes are one thing that I'll splurge on and since they're better quality, I wear them until they don't look spiffy enough for work anymore. The pair I like to wear to work I've had for 4 years now and the day they see the back of my closet will be a sad sad day.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I have resoled my cowboy boots 3 times and replaced the heal once. The boots are about done....time for a new pair. I fear the boots will turn to dust soon.....spontaneous dusting?

Tennis shoes until I have destroyed them enough that I am embarrassed to wear them in public. But I tend to do trail work sneakers sometimes....all that mud really shortens their life.

My dress shoes usually aren't nice enough to resole....I just throw them out. I don't buy very expensive dress shoes they jsut need to look good and I mess up shoes fast. I tend to slice dress shoes for some reason.....not all the way through but visable deep gouges.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Wow only 2 years out of your docs?!?! My first pair lasted about 4 years. My current pair is about 6+ years!!! The leather is a bit scuffed, but to go with a pair of jeans and a t-shirt they're still doing good. I just wear 'em until the heel is severely angled (yes mom, I still drag my heels when I walk) or they look so bad you don't want to be seen in them.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Velocity Girl said:
I just wear 'em until the heel is severely angled (yes mom, I still drag my heels when I walk) or they look so bad you don't want to be seen in them.
You and me both sista'!

I drag the outside of my heal, slightly. :mad:

:think: Must be from walking like a penguin? :o:

Andy_B

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
whereabouts unknown
My "work shoes" will last about 2 years.
My "everywhere/all season" sandals chaco's are going on about 5 years...
My "dirt jumping shoes" one pair a year
My "xc shoes" pair every 2 or 3 years

BrokenChain

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
NWCT
I recently got rid of a pair of Lakai sneakers I had for about 4 years. I had been using duct tape to hold them together for more than a year. They were so comfortable. I miss them.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Considering most of my shoes are used off and on for dirtjumping I'd say about 2 years because I have so many damn pairs of shoes. :p (I'm a sucker for the buy one get one half off at Vans Outlet store, since it'll be like $20 and $15 for each pair). Dress shoes last as long as they fit since I don't wear them very frequently. XC shoes last about a year since I usually buy cheap ones and they only last for a while... :p

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I have a pair of Fluevogs that have been going good for 6+ years, that I need to have re-soled. I am still debating on just buying a new pair though, since the re-sole is over half of what they were initially.

Most shoes just get a couple of years though, until the foot bed feels dead.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
my oldest pair is 2 years old, and i wore them for 1.5 years riding. i'll wear them for biking til the grip is gone, and after that ill wear them until they have holes in them

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
Well don't laugh, I don't wear them cuz I am a hippie or anything, but I have Birkenstock dress shoes that I have been wearing for work for almost 3 years with no signs of wear. I have some Birk sandles from 1990 that are pretty smooth on the bottom (slick as snot on ice in the rain, and a dog got a hold of the topside of a strap, since been repaired, yes PETA folks the dog is still alive, just limps), Birk clogs from 1995 (still good to go), Birk sandles (see a pattern yet?) with a heel strap from 1999 (still circulating). My metarsal arch was colapsing so about all I wear are Birks cuz of the killer support they offer. Basically I wear them till they break and can not be repaired.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Had a pair of leather airwalys that lasted me almost 8 years... seams blew out so I got some new replacements. They are going on 4 years... still looking good.

Birks lasted me nearly 10 years... still worn every once in a while. Replaced by keens... may take forever to kill those.

Riding shoes... About 4 seasons, though I managed to kill a pair of high end Lakes in about 1 year.... soles came off.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
RhinofromWA said:
You and me both sista'!

I drag the outside of my heal, slightly. :mad:

:think: Must be from walking like a penguin? :o:
I'm an outside heel dragger too...except I'm slightly pigeon-toed on one leg instead of penguin-toed (I wonder what the opposite term of pigeon-toed really is???).

And yes, Birks are some great sandals. My pair lasted me about 7 years. The summer of 90 I went to Germany and came home with a pair. My friends thought they were the most hideous shoes they had ever seen....they still weren't very popular where I lived yet. A few years later though every friend who made fun of me owened 1 or more pairs! :p

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Velocity Girl said:
Wow only 2 years out of your docs?!?! My first pair lasted about 4 years. My current pair is about 6+ years!!! The leather is a bit scuffed, but to go with a pair of jeans and a t-shirt they're still doing good. I just wear 'em until the heel is severely angled (yes mom, I still drag my heels when I walk) or they look so bad you don't want to be seen in them.
The doc marten quality is declining sharply. (I seem to recall something about them being owned by reebok or something like that. Anyone know the truth?)

I don't wear commercial shoes that long. They may sit in my closet for years but I haven't found many shoes that fit my feet like the ones I make myself. Some shoes are to specialized for me to make - cycling shoes being one - so I buy and wear them till they fall apart or I find a cooler pair I like better. The one exception being my converse all stars. Those I wear till they fall apart and then I just duct tape them back together.

Fluevogs are cool. John Fluevog knows how to make a great shoe. Especially for a (now) mass produced shoe.

Nothing comes close to a custom fitted bespoke made shoe or boot though.

And the opposite of pigeon toed is "Out-Toed". Pigeon toe is really called "In Toe".

If your arch is collapsing see a podiatrist and an orthopedist. You may need orthopaedic supports or shoes, depending on how bad the collapse is.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Meat Foot said:
Well don't laugh, I don't wear them cuz I am a hippie or anything, but I have Birkenstock dress shoes that I have been wearing for work for almost 3 years with no signs of wear. I have some Birk sandles from 1990 that are pretty smooth on the bottom (slick as snot on ice in the rain, and a dog got a hold of the topside of a strap, since been repaired, yes PETA folks the dog is still alive, just limps), Birk clogs from 1995 (still good to go), Birk sandles (see a pattern yet?) with a heel strap from 1999 (still circulating). My metarsal arch was colapsing so about all I wear are Birks cuz of the killer support they offer. Basically I wear them till they break and can not be repaired.
Goddam hippy. :mad:

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Tenchiro said:
I have a pair of Fluevogs that have been going good for 6+ years, that I need to have re-soled. I am still debating on just buying a new pair though, since the re-sole is over half of what they were initially.
I've got a pair of Fluevog Angel boots that are over 8 years old. The leather is starting to crack and the soles need replacing, but they're still going strong.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
pixelninja said:
I've got a pair of Fluevog Angel boots that are over 8 years old. The leather is starting to crack and the soles need replacing, but they're still going strong.
And they repel satan!!!

Dang it people, leather should last a lifetime. Oil it, wax it, polish it. Do whatever your particular leather needs, but take care of your leather.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I've got some bad azz Asolo boots that I bought in 98. I run Syncros Mentals on one bike and go through a pair of $20 skate shoes once a month.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
pixelninja said:

Yeah, mine a the Supervog Angels. I am gonna go with a harder sole, the original is too wierd to walk in.

shoes of any kind (not dress cause i dont own any) but flip flops, crocs or skate shoes usually dont last more than 6 months. only shoes that i have had that held up past the sole packing out are globe CT-IVs. and those usually will pack out and my feet and knees start to hurt after about 6 months (i stand all day either wrenching or doing demos) and any other shoes i have had would blow seams before that point. needless to say i am a little hard on shoes. cycling....my carnacs have lasted 3 years...after being sent back once to have a blown out heel replaced and a sole re-glued. but they are ready to be replaced now.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Pair of echos since 2002, still going strong but seeing ware, I wear them for work.
Nike running/ everyday shoes since maybe 2000, but can't really remember. Usually wear them for biking or when it's too cold for sandals, or playing sports.
Merrell sandals, since summer of 2004, still going strong and wear them all the time (Tiva's crapped out after 10 months). Need to figure out a way to make them smell better.
Slippers only last me a year cause I tend to wear them to class.
Climbing shoes since 2003, still going quite strong (which means I don't climb enough).
Football cleats since 2002, still in good shape but could use new cleats. Use them for rugby when I actually practice with the team.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Had my last pair of shoes for 3 years. Just bought a new pair of shoes last weekend. My shoes do everything, including biking.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
the pair of work shoes i have right now, were running shoes 3 years ago. they have been work shoes since then. they have a small hole in the bottom of them but i am waiting until my current running shoes wear out to change them out. i never buy new shoes for work.

my running shoes only last 4-6 months.

some dress shoes i have had since i was in high school.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
pixelninja said:
Heck yeah! That's why I bought them. I need all the help I can get keeping Satan away.

You wrote that they're now mass-produced? Did someone buy them?
By "Mass produced" I mean that they are not made one by one by hand. They are made in a run of sizes and have stock on hand. I should have said that they are not bespoke shoes rather then mass produced. Sorry for the confusion. In no way would I say that Fluevogs are like reeboks. Fluevogs have soul. Reeboks suck. And Reeboks can't repel satan!

Fluevog did an SPD compatible shoe a few years back. I would love to get ahold of a pair of them. :drool:

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
off the top of my head...

The last two pairs of vans I wore, lasted me 5 years. I bought some new adio's about 3 months ago, which I use for riding and a new pair of running shoes that I wear for everyday use.
I also have a nice pair of combat boots from my active duty days in the Marines that have lasted over 3 years and seen dirt in 4 different countries; I only use those when it snows or when I go camping. I also have a pair of timberland's I've had for about 8 years that are still in great shape, really tough soles on those suckers. I sometimes wear my favorite and only pair of doc martins, which I've had for 10 years.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I don't know how you guys get skate shoes or sneakers to last that long. I have a pair of New Balances and Timlberland low tops that I wear for everyday stuff and working out and they are basically both dead (the NB's have parts of the sole coming off and both have no fabric between my heel and the plastic heel cup...that happens on all shoes I have fairly quickly for some reason).

Hiking boots and dress shoes last forever, as I don't wear them enough.

Cycling shoes get a few years, but I've never totally worn a pair out, I guess. My Nike Ligures were doing okay until the cleat punched through the carbon sole. My Nike Yuhas are probably 5+ years old and with some new insoles and a generous helping of Shoe goo and some epoxy, they work great!

My birks have been worn all the way through big toe and comming through the heal, I had them for 4 years now. I wear sneakers till they get hoes on the inside. DH (old XC) shoes going on the 3-4 season (clipless)
Just got new XC shoes this year.
Cowboy boots been re-soled 4 times no wear on the outside.
Golf shoes last a long time.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I don't own any cheap shoes. I fact I think my cheapest shoes cost about NZ$200. My most expensive pair of dress shoes cost over US$550. I replace my shoes when they start to look shoddy, because I'm vain as **** about footware.

I'm currently wearing Flosheims for work, Merrell Chameleon Slams for everyday, (soon to be replaced with Slam IIs) and DVS something or others (dark green and black w. orange highlights) for riding. I have a shelf full of 'worn out' pumps that my wife threatens me with whenever I want a new pair. I'm currently on the lookout for a nice pair of red or brown skate shoes that I like the look of.

Oh, my longest lasting shoes ever were a pair of Airwalk Jims which lasted at least 4 years of nearly daily use and abuse. Seems like a lot of people have had good luck with long life Airwalks.