Quantcast

how long does it take to absorb energy bars/gels?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Anyone have any idea how long it takes for the body to absorb energy bars/gells? I would guess gells are absobed faster as there is less digestion time because they are not solid food.

I've always wondered if it's worth having an gelpack with only 30-45 minutes left in a ride.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
From what I have read, gels can be absorbed in 10-15 minutes and bars usually 15-25.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Kanter said:
From what I have read, gels can be absorbed in 10-15 minutes and bars usually 15-25.
Yup thats what I've found of course it all varies alot. Bars may take longer to absorb but they give you engery for MUCH longer.
It may not be worth it to take in the last 30-45 min if you need it, however it's very good to take it the second you finsih the ride. It'll get absorb uber fast and you'll recover much faster and not feel as tired. With that said carbs get absorb in general extremely fast within 30 mins of exersize so any time in that time is good to eat something sugary.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I always have a bar as soon as I get done with a ride... just to help my body recover. I was more interested in knowing if it's worth downing a gelpack for that last umph of the ride.