Quantcast

How long d'ya wait?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
For an EBay seller to contact you? I paid for a fork for my kids bike 10 minutes after the auction closed, now 5 days later I have heard nothing from the seller. Short of tracking him down and slaughtering everything and everyone he loves in front of him, what do I do? How long do I wait to track him down?

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
I don't know much about paypal isn't the reason it is there to stop people from getting scammed ..A friend of mine bought a GT bike off e-bay and was telling me how the seller went on vacation and forgot to mail the bike.He ended up getting it a about a week later but what if he didn't get it..???..I thought they would not release the $$$ untill the buyer says yeah I got the stuff..!!!..Back to your question I would not wait long at all....

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
5 days included a weekend. While I always respond within 24 hours of my auctions ending (and usually within a couple hours), not everyone does, so I never count weekends as days that they should have responded.

3 days, then. I assume one of those days was the day the auction ended? Give him until Monday. It wouldn't hurt to send a polite follow up email today, though, and just tell him you're touching base.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Most likely it's already shipped. Some ebay sellers literally ship hundreds of items per day, and while most of them have automated systems that will email you, some don't. Those sellers certainly don't have time to sit down and manually type out an email to every one of the hundreds of people who got stuff shipped that day.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Shipping out an item without the buyer getting some type of confirmation of shipment is idiotic, IMO.

If you're shipping hundreds of items per day, figure out some kind of automated system. UPS and FedEx both have slots for email addresses that will email the buyer automatically with a tracking number.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Update-
After a polite email, which got no response, I sent a request to Ebay for his contact info, which they send to him also (to let him know someone is asking after him).
This morning I got an email from him apologizing, he has been out of town (hmmm...). But he sent it (Got the confirmation #) thereby saving me the hassle of tracking him down and going all Chuck Norris on him.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I would have emailed him 2 days after the auction for details. 5 days is way a long time to have to wait to hear anything.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would not wait 5 days. I expect a response within 3 days like BV said. If I don't hear from someone within 24 hours I get pissy, but I don't do anything until it's been 3. I send an email along with the payment and might send another email within 48 hours.