Quantcast

How long have you left your bikes unlocked?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Going back into my office, I realized that I left my Seven Ti road bike unlocked on my car rack. I wasn't too paniced, because there is good security around my office, but I did run out there to grab it.

I left my bike unlocked for about 2 hours. What is the longest you left a bike unlocked in a risky area?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I always crammed my bike in the car.

Whether it was my sh!t cannondale crammed my 65 beetle or stuffing my pitboss in the back of my Jetta.

The only time I used the roof rack on my passat was moving out here.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
stevew said:
I always crammed my bike in the car.

Whether it was my sh!t cannondale crammed my 65 beetle or stuffing my pitboss in the back of my Jetta.

The only time I used the roof rack on my passat was moving out here.
that is a great idea if you hate your car...My bike would thrash my car, i use a yakima viper locked most of the time, but if i am going to be away for any amount of time i use an additional lock around the crossbar/frame.

J

JRB

I can leave one cable locked here all day. I have left them on the roof all night at home with nothing locked. Stupid, but it turned out ok. I try to lock it at all times now.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Funny you should mention this topic...

I left my sweet ride unlocked in front of a neighborhood cafe unlocked (semi-accidentally) for 6 hours. (duh, a little distracted...)

Rebuilt a bit of my faith in society...not gonna go tempting fate again any time soon of course...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
manhattanprjkt83 said:
that is a great idea if you hate your car...My bike would thrash my car, i use a yakima viper locked most of the time, but if i am going to be away for any amount of time i use an additional lock around the crossbar/frame.
I used the Jetta to take show dogs to the vet/airport daily. Throwing a bike in the back seat didn't hurt it anymore.....

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
If I'm out with a bike (like the Margarita Ride) it is unlocked but within reach- there would be at least ten others sitting there to choose from as well, if in transit it's always locked in the camper shell of the truck. If I stop anywhere it's always in sight.

I did get up one morning to find that SOMEONE left the garage door open all night. All the bikes were still hanging there and nothing was disturbed. Walking into my garage in the dark would be sort of a death sentence in itself.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
left my bike unlocked outside of the O one night while drunkenly devouring the fries and drinking a yuengling 32oz'er. was inside a good hour. when i came out, saw some dude on the ground with my bike about 15 feet from where i had left it. i just started laughing at him (as did the 3 other people i was with) walked over, saw he had managed to cut himself up pretty badly (both arms and legs). so instead of beating the piss out of him like he deserved (i was too drunk for a real fight anyways), i just gave him a good swift kick to the ribs, picked up my bike and rode away, still laughing. gotta love track bikes :thumb:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
jonKranked said:
left my bike unlocked outside of the O one night while drunkenly devouring the fries and drinking a yuengling 32oz'er. was inside a good hour. when i came out, saw some dude on the ground with my bike about 15 feet from where i had left it. i just started laughing at him (as did the 3 other people i was with) walked over, saw he had managed to cut himself up pretty badly (both arms and legs). so instead of beating the piss out of him like he deserved (i was too drunk for a real fight anyways), i just gave him a good swift kick to the ribs, picked up my bike and rode away, still laughing. gotta love track bikes :thumb:
Nothin' like the 'fixie eject' button....saw a guy jack a messengers bike here in Seattle...started going down a hill right as the messenger came out....The messenger didn't look too worried, right about that time the light turned red and the stealer tried to stop...but there weren't any brakes, and he suddenly realized he needed to keep pedalling a little to late....*boom* instant carnage in the intersection....dude was messed....A severe wipeout.

I don't leave my bikes unlocked anywhere anymore...'specially after my old ones were jacked out of my locked garage...now there's even more security features in there...:redhot:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
haha yea none of the messengers i know really lock up their bikes, although they all carry u-locks...

there's one guy in pgh that messengers on a pursuit track frame.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
On that note, undoing the rear QR is a good way to prevent the ride-off. The back wheel will pop out on the first pedal stroke and almost no thief will check for it.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I will freelock my Romeo at the grocery store or the bank. But for the most part I lock both bikes to something fixed all the time. Good habit to learn for most peeps.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
morethanjake543 said:
You might have your bike, but your derailleur will be horribly disfigured.

FOR FOREVER!
I beg to differ. While I have not caught anyone stealing my bike, I have forgot to retighten the QR, and there was no damage done to me or the bike.

On the other hand, I rather buy a new rd than a replacement bike.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I left my old race trailers unlocked 2 times over the years...nothing happened thankfully...in addition, I have left my bikes in front of markets on a few occasions and was always lucky-but I used to get free ones and thought like a cool guy. I carry lock now ;)

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Who was it that said they crank down their disc brake pads and shift into a high gear when they don't have a lock. Somebody on here said it and I've stolen the idea a couple times.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
If I was just dipping in someplace for a soda or whatever, I used to clamp down my old Hope C2 brakes to make sure the wheels couldn't turn. On my SS commuter, I'd just unhook the canti brakes...