Quantcast

How Long Is your Season?

[Tha]Shovla

Monkey
Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow
So this curiosity started when I was poking around the web looking at Bike parks and noticed that a large portion, if not the majority, of American Rockies bike parks, in states like Colorado, Wyoming, ect, have a very short riding season. Most of the parks dont open to riders until mid June and then close by early September. However, i rode at Whistler May 18 last year. granted they were only open to bikes on the lower half but still, thats a full month more.

So here it is, Post up your info of state, then general region and how long your riding season is. Here in Maryland we have local shuttle runs so i put down our lift service and shuttle season. Try to be specific to region in a state. dont just say Colorado try and give a city near you.

You Europeans are welcome to join in too ( we dont want to leave you out :poster_oops:)

Local downhill shuttle run season:Begining of April- end of Spetember Easily. earlier or later if you dont mind cold (40-45F) or Leaf fall.
Downhill Park Season: Whisp Ski resort: April (i think) - Spetember

Cross Country/All Mt Season Almost 12 months a year if there isnt any snow like this year but easily March-November

Riding resorts in colorado is totally different time than dh riding in Colorado. We dh most of the year well beyond when the resorts are open. Just depends upon the snow. All of our mountains are at higher elevations than the LOWER part of Whislter and dont melt as quickly. Our foothills have a decent amount of DH most of the year.

BTW Boulder/Denver

TGR

Monkey
Jan 9, 2006
bromont is opened from may 5th (well there's still some snow on some runs) until october 22nd

Rover Nick

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
In Phoenix, its pretty much all year riding depending on how much heat you can handle duiring the summer.

Our closest Lift Access resort is usually open from memorial day to labor day

I think part of the reason I am partial to Colorado is all of the Pro riders. This year Colorado sent something like 8 gravity riders to Worlds. There are a ton of fast pros and they are increasing. To name a few on the boards, Alex Vidal, Dave Camp, Phil Wheeler, Matty Thomson, Steve Wentz, TJ Sharp and thats just the tip of the iceberg. You wanna get fast and have tons of types of riding available? Boulder

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
back home in malaysia is all year, its a nice average 32 degrees all year round. of course the scene isn't huge and we dont have races every weekend. but its all year round.

[Tha]Shovla

Monkey
Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow
Riding resorts in colorado is totally different time than dh riding in Colorado. We dh most of the year well beyond when the resorts are open. Just depends upon the snow. All of our mountains are at higher elevations than the LOWER part of Whislter and dont melt as quickly. Our foothills have a decent amount of DH most of the year.

BTW Boulder/Denver
So you guys just basically ride the local scene then? thats what i get from what your saying. So whats a season then? April - September on average? Does your local scene revolve around truck shuttling like ours or do you push and ride a lot?

I didnt mean the resorts were the standard, I understand that skiing is the major $$$ for them. I was just suprised to see that there was barely a 3 month resort scene.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Local downhill shuttle run season: Begining of April approximately.
Downhill Park Season: We're pretty lucky, there's probably 10 dh lift service mountains within a 3 hour vicinity, the closest being 45 minutes from here. Plattekill (about 1.5 hr drive) has the longest season - end of April/beg of May to Mid November, usually. Depends on snow.
Cross Country/All Mt Season: Again, depends on snow, but usually it's April to November/December. And rifle/deer season in November/December knocks out a lot of riding options.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
ive been ridin since beginin of april 07 and still goin strong, hopefully right thru till the spring.

but as for lift access may-nov.

Jensen

Monkey
Apr 30, 2007
UC/SLO,ca
i ride 12 months of the year, at the least 5 days a week, unless something catastrophic happens at work. weather it be DH or AM, i NEED to ride. helps that i live in a semi- non rainy/snowy climate

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
In Poland it depends on the resort but usually late march/early april - september/october(sometimes longer depends on the weather)

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
starts in about April and normally ends sometime in early October for the resorts. i normally switch over to other types of riding during the winter but still take the big bike out time to time during the winter as well.

i try to make sure that my riding season is ever lasting