Quantcast

How long until you'd be fired?

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
If you stopped doing work all together, how long do you think it would be until they fired your a$$?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
If I were to come in and just sit at my desk, probably about 3 weeks. But that would be far worse than actually working.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
One of my coworkers is on her 8th year doing nothing, I see no reason why I couldn't stay here until I retired without lifting a finger.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Doing absolutely nothing would get me canned in a week or so. I could make a career out of doing very little. My normal effort ranges from doing enough to busting my ass.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I know people that do far less than I, but there are very few that put out the quality I do. I couldn't go to long on my current project, because I'm the only one.

But when I was at Intel, I knew people that made careers out of doing nothing. There, as long as you take credit for others work, you don't have to do any actual work yourself. Temps and interns do the best work.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Lessee, I got this job in March 07, sooooooo

doing the math...

almost one year and counting!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I found out last year that the company has a 3 strikes policy when it comes to drinking at work. I could get drunk at work at least 2 times before getting fired but I figure I could get drunk at least 5 times before I was caught.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
'Bout 1 hour before I was questioned, 2 before I was sent home, and the next day I would be fired.

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
I'm in IT and i've always stood by the policy that my team and I can work really hard to get everything up and running, and then it will get to a point where we really only have an hour or so of real easy work to do in a given day. Do it right once and get a system down and it'll just run and run. Hell at one job we had the place running so good we were setting up Counter Strike servers and playing games for 3 months before the next project came up. This of course excludes the mindless end-user issues, I typically don't deal with those.

I'm in consulting now, so I do that at one client, they work great. Then I move on to the next. No rest for the wicked. I like it though, get to work on a lot of really fun projects. Too bad I hate my company....

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Their thinking about making a penalty for use of web forums. Like you have to go home for the day with no pay, or you can't come in the following day.

It worries me.