Quantcast

How many downhillerz do you know that moto....

gonefirefightin

free wieners
So I was having drinks with a bro after some DH runs and decided to hit the moto's for a bit.

He proceeded to tell me that DH was the poor mans moto and most racers only do it because they can afford or choose to ride dirtbikes.

I proceeded to inform him that ALL of the downhillers (pro and amatuer alike that I hang with) all have a dirtbike of some sort and ride it often, and informed him on the skill sets that are similair and the advantage it yeilds over those who dont ride moto in the off seasons.

comments?

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Yes and no.

It's a poor mans moto because you don't need as much equipment and maintenance and traveling (much of the time) to ride it.

I also think you need a bit more skill and a better handle of bike dynamics to ride a moto successfully. Anyone can get on a mountain bike and ride it around and screw around on dirt. Learning judicious throttle application and clutch control and very proper weighting techniques so you don't hurt yourself on a dirt bike take a bit more effort. Doesn't really have to do with being poor though.

However 7K for a top of the line DH bike is pretty close to the price of a new YZF 450.

I should add that every time I take a break from DH and ride the dirt bike on lots of singletrack for a couple months, I always come back faster and stronger. It brings a new way of perceiving speed and growing comfortable with it if nothing else.

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I've been riding moto for the last month.
Rode DH today.
There was a difference.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Different, but complimentary animals. I think a minority of the DH riders I know also ride moto; maybe 20-25%.

As for 'poor mans moto'; thats just one upmanship, or 'mines better'.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
I started riding moto and I think it's severely compromised my DHing - I'm having so much fun on the pipe, I haven't touched my DH rig since last November! :cheers:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I started riding moto and I think it's severely compromised my DHing - I'm having so much fun on the pipe, I haven't touched my DH rig since last November! :cheers:
I told you that would happen. Same thing happened to Doug. He did ride 4 days on DH last weekend though.

Anyway, I am much faster on my DH bike since I got the moto. Mostly I think because that it conditions you to higher speeds and builds upper body strength.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I rode moto back in the day, never was all that good at it though, got into Supermoto for awhile then woods then trials.

Still like to ride woods, dream of riding trials, all of it has made me a better rider.

I wouldn't call DH a poor mans moto neither are cheap.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I have buddies that ride motos. They were trying to get me to buy one too. I just didn't want to buy one, then buy a trailer, drive for two hours to ride it, and fuel it. Besides, they only ride them about once a month.

The guys that do ride them a lot come back to DH and do ride faster. But they also ride a little more skittish because they say the DH bikes aren't nearly as stable because they're so light. I have some friends that'll jump DH bikes huge because the jumps are much smaller than what you'd hit on a moto. But i also have a few friends that don't like to jump the Dh bikes as much because it's harder to control in the air due to weight and not having a throttle.

I know they come back from MOTO pretty strong and they don't get as tired as those of us that don't moto.

To each his own I guess. I won't ever ride one just because when i get money for something like that, i'd rather spend it on something else. LIke a new trailbike. :0)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't moto, but that's only because of money. Can't afford a moto along with keeping all 7 bikes in my stable running. I have been considering one, and it may be the first purchase after my next DH bike.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The costs of weekend lift access is what prompted me to buy a dirt bike in the first place.

Consider Mammoth or Northstar from Southern California. Drive 6-8 hours each way and pay for gas, pay $40/day for lift tickets, and ride for maybe a good 3-4 hours of actual saddle time over two lift days. OR, drive for 2 hours to the desert or the woods, and ride singletracks for 6 hours, and spend $15 for 5 gallons of gas that will carry you through the day.

12-16 hours of driving for 3-4 hours of saddle time, or 4-6 hours of driving for 6 hours of saddle time (12 if you camp and do 2 days) and pay less for it. Which makes more sense?

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I agree with you hack. I ended up getting the yz125 cause it was a pain to drive to a resort or set up a shuttle when I can just step out the back door and ride the moto. I've really only been doing it for the last month but when I took some runs on the dh bike the other day I definitely felt more comfortable letting the string out on the dh bike too. Only problem is through rocks the bike feels real squirrely and unstable to me now. Might need to play with shock settings too.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Same here. Nearest DH for me is three hours away and the only other dude near me that rode just moved away, whereas there are a gzaillion moto guys and half gazillion moto places within an hour of me.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Well, actually for me they're both as expensive.
Since I race as much DH as possible they're about the same cost. Traveling to all the races is not cheap.

But ya, I do both and actually probably ride motocross locally more then the local DH. Way better on a DH bike but love riding moto to take my mind off of racing.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
the main benefits I have found is cornering speed has doubled and sliding is second nature, and speed is now relative, 75 on a moto seems fast but 35 on a DH course seems slow nowadays.

I think trusting the tires has been a bi-product as well
Yeah, the relative speed thing is key. As much as I tried not to, I know I would touch the brakes for no other reason than it felt like I was going "too fast." If you can condition your brain to believe that 35 is a perfectly reasonable speed to be traveling on two wheels, you can effortlessly pick up all those wasted seconds you would otherwise leave on the course. I'll definitely take free speed over speed I have to pedal for.