Quantcast

How many here are into riding Fatties ,pics or it didn't happen

Screwloose

Chimp
Jan 11, 2013
You must be kidding right, ridding the fatties is like pushing a Harley over the hill without ridding on it.

Trail Ninja

Monkey
Jan 4, 2013
Vancouver Island
I think the only regulars with fat bikes are 4xBoy and GFF.
Really? Where I am in Ontario, fat bikes are the second bike for a lot people. There are hundreds of them & the ski resorts are opening XC trails to fat bikes.

I have a question for fat bike owners. How do they ride on pavement compared to a regular hardtail mountain bike. Is it REALLY hard work or just hard work? What I'm asking is, if you could only have one bike for everything including commuting, would you consider your fat bike as that one bike?

Burnt-Orange

Monkey
Jan 5, 2013
I try to keep my fatbike ride's under 100
with my studed nates I am about 5 minutes slower on my 8 mile commute than with my slicks I used for the centery
I passed up allot of roadies on the down hills
the fastes I was able to hit was 36mph
my big ring is a 33 so I know I can hit 40 I just spin out
I don't own or want a road bike
my fat bike is a safer commuter
we have some kick but potholes here

Attachments

Trail Ninja

Monkey
Jan 4, 2013
Vancouver Island
So compared to a 26er hardtail with knobbies (my one bike now) you'd say a fat bike wouldn't be that bad to ride as a "one bike"?

Good to know. I've got a lot of sand where I'm going.

Image00002.jpg

You can't ride on that stuff with skinny-assed 2.5" tires.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Really? Where I am in Ontario, fat bikes are the second bike for a lot people. There are hundreds of them & the ski resorts are opening XC trails to fat bikes.

I have a question for fat bike owners. How do they ride on pavement compared to a regular hardtail mountain bike. Is it REALLY hard work or just hard work? What I'm asking is, if you could only have one bike for everything including commuting, would you consider your fat bike as that one bike?
It's because you're Canadian. We don't allow Canadian's here - MMkie and DaPeach excluded because they are legacy.

Burnt-Orange

Monkey
Jan 5, 2013
It's because you're Canadian. We don't allow Canadian's here - MMkie and DaPeach excluded because they are legacy.
he is not a real Canadian
he only lives there
he speaks american english
that makes him one of us

Last edited:

Burnt-Orange

Monkey
Jan 5, 2013
Nice bike
someday I will own a black sheep
I probably will be really old and creeky then
but I wll own one
maybe a trike so I dont fall over

Ride Monzie

Monkey
Jan 4, 2013
Killafornia
Whoa, That Black Sheep is masturbatory. So damn sexy. I will probably never be able to afford a fat bike let alone a custom Ti one. I want your bike 4x. If I could afford it, that or the 38 Frameworks carbon. I'd want a rigid SS but I hear SS for fat bikes sucks.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
It is a 135mm centered single speed.

But the rear is removable and I am having a 170mm being built so I can run gears when I need.

It also was built so I can run the new 29+ wheels that are on the Surly Krampus.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i choose to enjoy snow sitting inside by the fire with a book....

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Got my Moonlander in March and been riding it all over the place.
:confused:

What's the goal/logic/idea behind riding a fat bike in Central Mass and/or New England in the warm-weather months? It seems odd to me that a bike with no suspension and more rolling resistance would be more enjoyable to ride than a "normal" mountain bike. Between the climbs and rocks at most of the places I ride, I wouldn't think "fun" would be the word I would use.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
:confused:

What's the goal/logic/idea behind riding a fat bike in Central Mass and/or New England in the warm-weather months? It seems odd to me that a bike with no suspension and more rolling resistance would be more enjoyable to ride than a "normal" mountain bike. Between the climbs and rocks at most of the places I ride, I wouldn't think "fun" would be the word I would use.
people that can't go that fast in the first place?