Quantcast

How many hours do you train per week...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Are you talking about cycling training or just training in general?

My ass has not been in a saddle of any kind for weeks, not even spinning class. But I have been weight training my usual 4-5 hours a week.

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
Are you talking about cycling training or just training in general?

My ass has not been in a saddle of any kind for weeks, not even spinning class. But I have been weight training my usual 4-5 hours a week.
Yeah havent ridden a bike for probably 2 months.
________
Toyota hd engine specifications

Last edited:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well i go up to about 15 hours a week. But right now i'm doing alot less more like 7-8 hours of cardio type training and than weight training 3x a week so add it together i;m doing like 12.5 hours a week right now.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
It is really variable for me since my training plan changes with each 4 week block of periodization. I think the most is probably 18, the least is probably 9. That's just riding time.

teambender

Chimp
Jan 11, 2004
Casa de Motionboy
Back in season, I was doing about 20 hrs per week -- it was too much -- I felt pissy and overtrained. Now I'm at about 8 w/ weight training...I just always feel like I'm behind in my devotion to my training....:dead:

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
During base training this winter I got up to 27 hours- mostly indoors too- ****ttyyyyy... During the peak of the season I stick to 15 or so hours a week, but it's a lot different riding than the longer hours in the winter.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Not to generalize, but really, 27 and 30 hours a week sound like too much. Recipes for disaster.

teambender

Chimp
Jan 11, 2004
Casa de Motionboy
Originally posted by Jorvik
Around 30 hours a week. I've been feeling weaker in the past couple weeks though, so I'm going to cut it back to something like 15-20 hours.
How do you find time for anything else? I gotta tip my hat to you, if I trained that much -- I'd be a complete mess.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Originally posted by Jorvik
Around 30 hours a week. I've been feeling weaker in the past couple weeks though, so I'm going to cut it back to something like 15-20 hours.
That's impressive. I think I can see now why you were running those times you posted before. Do you have specific goals in your training or is it general purpose? Your in the Marines, right? That's quite a bit of time to be working out, I figure if I spent that much time on school work I'd be in pretty good standing :p ........must keep you in damn good shape.

The Ito

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
Train? For what? I really don't "train", I commute 40 minutes to work each day, so that's 200 minutes per week.
A short Road or MTB ride on a Saturday or Sunday is 3 hours, so on bike that's 180 minutes.
So around 6 1/2 or 7 hours per week.

Weights is just exactly 4 hours per week.

Then again I'm older and not training for anything except to feel good.

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
I'm waiting to leave for Marine Corps Recruit Training, meaning I'm not a Marine yet, but I'm in the process. A knee injury kept me from leaving earlier, so I'm not gone until late April. I usually only work from 9-2, so I'll usually go for a run and/or swim and hit some weights in the morning. Afternoon I'll be in the weight room for about 90min- 2 hours lifting and then hit the bag some. Then I'll do about 30 minutes of body weight excercises before I go to bed. Thursdays I lead a PT session at the recruiting station from 4-8 and will lift after.

Basically, my life is PTing. I focus my life around it. PTing comes first before just about everything else. The money I get from working goes to suppliments. I really need to get my diet back in check though, I've been eating a lot of terrible food recently.

Overtraining? Bah, I'm young and dumb.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Heidi
Not to generalize, but really, 27 and 30 hours a week sound like too much. Recipes for disaster.

how so? most of the guys who race on the road do that much, looks pretty good to me. different strokes for different folks....:p :p

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
the last couple of weeks I've started to get my arse into gear, so about 7-9 hours on the bike for me. Had much more time to ride when I was still a college, much more difficult when youre working.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Originally posted by indieboy
how so? most of the guys who race on the road do that much, looks pretty good to me. different strokes for different folks....:p :p
Yea I think if you know what you are doing then during your weeks of base work up to 30 or so hours can be great for your training and the rest of your season. But only if you are training properly. If not then yes I agree it could be disasterous.

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
there's a little saying I heard from some kids on a high school wrestling team- "it's not the hours you put in, it's what you put in the hours"
It's entirely possible to go and ride a 40-50 hour week, and accomplish very little. It's also possible to ride a 13 hour week and have it accomplish a lot. I guess what I'm saying is that what everyone is doing for hours is going to vary on how they ride, why they ride, and where they are in their training. You could say well, "I'm riding 34 hours + this week, I'm the ultimate badass..." like one of my teammates is, or you could just stick to what works for you and kick some overtrained ass at the races. Don't worry so much about hours, it's quality that really matters.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
There was an article written about this in some mtb mag a few years back (mid to late 90's). At the time I was training like a mad man trying to bump myself up to expert XC(west coast).

The article interviewed many of the top XC Pros and asked them about their training times per week. Out of all the pros in the interview(big names), the most hours trained was something like 20 and the least was 12. They spoke a lot of overtraining.

From this, I cut back and focused on good training and fewer hours and noticed my power and endurance go through the roof. I made the upgrade with no problem.

It was a good article as I remember.

Special K

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
CT by way of Beantown
I have been recovering from ITB syndrome in both knees -- so I have just gotten back on the bike about 6 hours a week, but have been lifting weights in the gym, stretching and do resistance band work for a good 9-10 hours a week... nagging injuries are a real pain... almost back to where I wanna be after four months of rehab...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I train 5-8 hours a week. Hopefully that will pick up after daylight savings time. Most of the people I race against train 10-20 hours a week. I try to make up for time with intensity but then I end up suffering when it comes to endurance.

As a Staff Sergeant in the army, I have the responsibility to train my soldiers every weekday morning I can. We ususally run for 5 miles, and do lots of pushups, sit ups and sprints. NOW, knowing that I'm more of a laid back leader, I try to make it a bit less dull on the guys and try to liven up PT a bit. If your looking to just have fun and work off the beer belly, then I would suggest longer runs at a decent pace. By that I mean 4 miles at an 8:00 minute mile pace. That will do some good. If you want to improve on your speed, then intervals are the way to go. Find a track, and run as fast as you can for a lap and jog a lap and a half. I know what I'm talking about, trust me. As far as the bike aspect, I ride as much as I can. I get some great cardio work done on a bike, and it isnt as harmful as running is on the body. Not to mention, mountain biking actuallly works muscles that running doesnt. SO if you run, then riding a bike is going to help out a good bit.