Quantcast

How Many Monkeys run specific front and rear tires???

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Just curious as to how many monkeys run a different wheel up front than in the back of their MTBs. For example some brands market their tires as front and rear specific, or recommend the tread pattern rotate in a specific direction for front or rear.

Right now on the Ted Wojcik I have a Weirwolf 2.3 up front and a Continental Survival pro 2.3 (skinny 2.3) in the back. Worked pretty decent last night. I feel the Weirwolf is definitely better as a front tire than a rear.

So what are your different set ups and why did you choose em?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
On the Kona: 2.35 Blue Groove front / 2.35 Nevegal rear

Neither of these tires are marketed as ff/rr specific, but most people run them in this configuration. The BG's tread pattern makes it more condusive to straight tracking/steering.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I have a whole variety of tires that I run. I have some fat Maxxis Minions (slow reezay) that are front/rear specific and they perform REALLY well on a lot of the rocks and roots our trails have to offer. When I am riding more hardpacked trails, I tend to run skinnier hard drives that I believe are front/rear for either. Sq-Earl has been running his Kenda Kinetics (front and rear specific) in Super Tackey and has been pleased with their performance as well.

I wasn't all that pleased with my Michelin Hot S tires but that was because the side walls were quite thin and I shredded them in just a couple of rides at Spier Falls. Sq-Earl has also had an issue with tears in the sidewalls of his Michelin tubless tires too.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
I switched to Michelin Hot S on the rec of a shop friend who tries lots of tires and they've been great for out here (i wish they weren't bright red, tho). I've been beating them pretty hard and they're lasting fine.

The tread's the same on both but they're supposed to be mounted in opposite directions according to the arrows on the sidewall. Does that count as front/rear specific?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
All summer I was running Hutchinson Python Airlight(F) and Hutchinson Python Gold(R)

but I just switched rear, so now:

Hutchinson Python Airlight(F) and Panaracer TrailBlaster(R)

edit/why:
pythons are pretty light, roll real fast
trailblaster is light and was on sale

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I can't tell the subtle differences between different tires when I ride. They all feel pretty much the same to me. I use whatever is light, durable, and on sale.

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
McGRP01 said:
On the Kona: 2.35 Blue Groove front / 2.35 Nevegal rear

Neither of these tires are marketed as ff/rr specific, but most people run them in this configuration. The BG's tread pattern makes it more condusive to straight tracking/steering.
I was running those because they came stock on my haro, but when I got new tires at the kenda tent this year, the kenda dude (jim), told me that he didn't really recommend the combination. I don't know if there is any validity to that but I'm just running 2.1 kenda stick-E nevegals now.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I like to run either a 2.0 Mosquito, 2.3 Mosquito or a 2.3 Conti Vert up front. I am less picky about what I run in the back.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Westy said:
I like to run either a 2.0 Mosquito, 2.3 Mosquito or a 2.3 Conti Vert up front. I am less picky about what I run in the back.
Westy - why those tires in the front? What is it about them that you like so much?

Andy_B

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
whereabouts unknown
For DH I will run...

Lots of rocks, roots and mud Minion DHF/DHR (snowshoe/mount snow)
SAB no Mud- Minion DHF/HighRoller (Mtn Creek/bromont ect)
Dusty hard pack rocks... DHF/DHF

SS
Was Igntior up front and tt in the rear.
Now both are 2.35 igntiors ust.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
For my local trails I run

WTB Weirwolf 2.5 up front
Maxxis Larsen tt 2.0 rear

When I went to Mammoth I ran
WTB Weirwolf 2.5 up front
WTB Weirwolf 2.35 rear

I have a SC Heckler

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've thought about it... getting tire specific for what I'm riding front and rear, but conditions in this part of the country are too iffy, and I'm not a racer. I don't want to have to get up in the morning and think about if it rained yesterday and what tires I have mounted before a ride... I just want to pedal and have fun... less thinking, more riding.

I'm always trying new stuff, but I always go back to a good all-purpose tire that's durable. Right now, Conti Verticals are my old standby, but I'm going to be breaking in a new set Panaracer Cinders tonight... we'll see how they do. I've also got a set of Nevegals on the way.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
On my xc rig in the summer:

Intense system 4 2.3 tire f (it is more like a 2.1)
Maxxis Larson 2.3 rear (also small)

DJ bike
Maxis Hollyroller f/r

DH bike
Tioga 2.5 front
WTB timberwolf rear

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I ride Michelin Comp 32 2.8" tires. They are big and grip well enough that it does not really matter if they are front or rear specific. On my hardtail it is a 2.5" Timberwolf up front and a 2.5" High Roller in the rear.