Quantcast

How many of you guys race XC as well?

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Back in the Trail 66 days it was fairly common for us to race all 3 events: XC/DS/DH but I don't know anyone that I race DH with these days that races XC anymore. I'm considering starting up XC racing again, haven't raced since Mt. Snow in 2000, but unfortunately will have to do my first one on my 40 lb. RFX as it's the lightest bike I've got right now. I imagine I'll get some odd looks in the starting line but I'll at least put my old clipless back on so I don't look too out of place!:)

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Originally posted by DH Dad
Back in the Trail 66 days it was fairly common for us to race all 3 events: XC/DS/DH but I don't know anyone that I race DH with these days that races XC anymore. I'm considering starting up XC racing again, haven't raced since Mt. Snow in 2000, but unfortunately will have to do my first one on my 40 lb. RFX as it's the lightest bike I've got right now. I imagine I'll get some odd looks in the starting line but I'll at least put my old clipless back on so I don't look too out of place!:)

ME!

I have an xc race this w/e

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
xc/road/'cross/bmx/track/dh, It doesn't make any difference to me.

So far this year I've only raced bmx, but over the course of the next 4 weeks the road, XC, dh and MTX races will begin to pick up. In fact, Douglas, when do the Dalton XC races start?

wujj

Chimp
Apr 8, 2003
Boulder, CO/ Taiwan
Since my DH season doesn't start till June, I've done three Cat 3 road crits and one expert XC training race so far. I'm also thinking of doing the local STXC races here in the summer. I didn't do any XC races last season, so it is kind of fun getting back into it.

I know should be DJ'ing more since that's my biggest weakness...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I race more xc races than I do DH. I was on a team that won the 24 hours of Tahoe in the 5 person open last year though and learned a valuable lesson. Having to make yourself ride really hard at 4 in the morning sucks........even though you just did it at 2am, and then you have to do it again at 6am.........blah. If you're having a bad DH run though, at least it's over quickly.

But yeah, both can be fun and I always consider it a win when the only people that beat me have shaved legs and tatoos of chainrings on their calves.........cuz they're fu.cking serious man!!!!

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
I feel that it is necessary to pay the racing gods. DH is just too much fun and so little work so you have to go out and bust a gut on a few XC races per year to appease them. I prefer something like the Deer Valley race where you climb for 45 min, decend for 5 and do it again - pure hell.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Originally posted by Threepointtwo
I feel that it is necessary to pay the racing gods. DH is just too much fun and so little work so you have to go out and bust a gut on a few XC races per year to appease them. I prefer something like the Deer Valley race where you climb for 45 min, decend for 5 and do it again - pure hell.
Sounds like the Mount Snow Sport/Beginner XC course. The Pros and Experts don't have to ride the really sketchy stuff up top for some reason, they get a shorter loop and have to ride it many more times. Pros used to ride the top of that course back in the day when Johnny Tomac raced Pro XC, man was he fun to watch. His game plan was to pick up tons of time on the DH side of the course at the expense of 2-3 crashes per loop.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
This is my first year racing & I am racing it all. I did a couple cyclo-cross races this winter, I have my 2nd DH race this weekend & I have my first XC race in 3 weeks. I dont dicriminate, I will race ANY kind of bike. :D