Quantcast

How Many of you Monkeys still own/listen to LPs (you know records)?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
My ex-wife gave me a box full of my old LPs last weekend.

I forgot I had left them at her parent's house many moons ago.

Man it brought back a lot of old memories and lots of great music, like this which I have on LP - I need to get this on CD now:

Sadly though I no longer own a turntable.

I'm sure there are a few vinyl diehards on the monkey. What do you use for a turntable?

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
i just got some new neil diamond vinyl. oh, and the bee gees too! we have a turntable on top of our stereo, because my step dad is a huge music buff.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004

Funny thing about this record...

Steve Albini of Shellac, (also our recording guy :D ) is an analog recording purist. They put out all of their records on high quality heavyweight vinyl.

They hate CD's. The LP was packaged in a really nice box, like a reel-to-reel tape box, and included a label inside that looked like a tape label. Very nice packaging.

You could buy the CD version, which came in a tiny box, for about $18.00

The LP version was $12. It included a copy of the CD, with no printing on it, rattling around in the box.

:D

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I think I still have some records in storage at my parents.

Live REM, Replacements, and Misfits I think. I don't know, I probably haven't looked in the trunk they are in since 96.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
stevew said:
I think I still have some records in storage at my parents.

Live REM, Replacements, and Misfits I think. I don't know, I probably haven't looked in the trunk they are in since 96.
Feel free to send me The Mats vinyl!

:rolleyes:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i still buy vinyl, though not as much as i used to...just got a Current 93 2lp in the mail the other day via Beta Lactam Ring records. sweet pressing. i also bought the last record from H8R's band...gatefold w/ grey vinyl. sweet looking package. i've got a wall of vinyl in my listening room which doesn't get a lot of play...i need to start digging back through the stuff.

MMcG, for a turntable i've got an old (well not that old but maybe 10 years old by now? old enough so that Rotel doesn't make turntables anymore), totally manual belt-driven Rotel table w/ a Sumiko BluePoint cartridge. it sounds nice.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I have a bunch of vinyl but no turntable. After I have moved to a house I am planning on getting new stereo equipment.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Tenchiro said:
I have a bunch of LP's but no turntable.
I am like a bunch of Ya'll I have a ton of Vinyl (almost 300)
but I have no turntable, I keep meaning to buy one,
I have a ton of early metal (Maiden,scorps ,Ozzy) some pop, some rush,floyd and yes and quite a bit of classical, even some punk, I can't wait to play my ol ' Anti-Nowhere League LP!

Attachments

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
it's pretty surprising what certain titles on vinyl will fetch on ebay these days...sometimes i'm of half a mind to sell off the stuff and finance a nice vacation or something...i've defintely got at least a handful of records which are worth 3 digits, and one which could reach 4.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
The only record I own is the Gun's and Roses Appetite for Destruction. The only reason I bought it was because it had the original art work. I opened it but never played it.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I have quite a few classical albums on LP but I don't currently have a nice turntable. I'd love to eventually burn them onto CD as they are wonderful recordings, but that's pretty low on the Things to do list these days.

I haxe the eagles "greatest hits 1971-1975"
-Lynard Skynard "Helpine"
-Jimmy Buffett "changes in latitudes changes in attitudes"
-The Ozark Mountain Dare devles
-The best of Wilie Nelson
-Willie Nelsons greatest hits (and some that will be)
-The dubie brothers "muinite by muinite"
And a broken belt on my turn table.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I got rid of all my vinyl years ago. There are a few I wish I would have kept, like Zeppelin's In Through The Out Door and Styx's Paradise Theatre, just because they had cool vinyl-only features.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I have tons of big band and 40-60's jazz albums my dad had before he passed away.

Maybe a couple of those albums have some value?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Echo said:
I got rid of all my vinyl years ago. There are a few I wish I would have kept, like Zeppelin's In Through The Out Door and Styx's Paradise Theatre, just because they had cool vinyl-only features.

I'll sell you my Styx Paradise Theater album...

I heard it from a friend... who heard it from a friend... who heard it from a friend... that you might want REO Speedwagon's Hi Infidelity too?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Echo said:
Does it have the laser etched record? How's the condition?

Humm.. not sure about laser etching... were all records of Paradise Theater etched?

The condition is great as best I recall. Think the last time I listened to it was at my high school graduation party in May 1982 (The Best of Times was our senior song).

:p

The record is at my mum's in Alb, but I can have her mail it.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
H8R said:

Funny thing about this record...

Steve Albini of Shellac, (also our recording guy :D ) is an analog recording purist. They put out all of their records on high quality heavyweight vinyl.

They hate CD's. The LP was packaged in a really nice box, like a reel-to-reel tape box, and included a label inside that looked like a tape label. Very nice packaging.

You could buy the CD version, which came in a tiny box, for about $18.00

The LP version was $12. It included a copy of the CD, with no printing on it, rattling around in the box.

A buddy of mine is real big on those cats, as well as Albini's other works. I think he's got most of their vinyl stuff, including the small run, vinyl only relesases (w/ Wingwalker, Rambler.....all that **** on them). A lot of it he rerecorded digital bootleg style so he could listen to it in the car, but the quality isn't there.

They came to Knoxville a few years back for a private show. Word got around and a bunch of us went to see if we could sneak in. Well, nope, busted. Hommie waited around talking to the dudes at the door while I went down the block and had a few beers. I come back an hour or so later and hommie has his head against the window listening to the show, still griping how he couldn't get in.

I used to have that copy of 1000 Hurts, but it was lost in the great CD heist of '03. But it was only $5 at the used record store.
The old man still has a decent vinyl collection, he was quite the hippy. The reel-to-real hasn't worked for ages and the 8-track gave up the ghost rocking out to Iron Butterfly when I wasn in HS.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
N8 said:
Humm.. not sure about laser etching... were all records of Paradise Theater etched?

The condition is great as best I recall. Think the last time I listened to it was at my high school graduation party in May 1982 (The Best of Times was our senior song).

:p

The record is at my mum's in Alb, but I can have her mail it.
Have her take the record out and look at it. If it's laser etched, it will be completely obvious. I'm pretty sure it would be etched if it's one of the ones from '82.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
narlus said:
that's the one w/ the Robert Williams cover, right? sealed it would have been worth more.

I think that is the artist. It has been a long time. At the time curiousity got the best of me and I wanted to see the if there was any art on the LP itself.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I'm still into vinyl and still buy records (current & old). My turntable is some Kenwood piece of crap. I used to have a Dual but sold it several years ago.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
I still have a record cabinet full and then some (the record crate finally disintegrated). In the late 70's early 80's I got into the habit of playing an album once while taping it to cassette and then putting it up so a lot of my collection is in mint condition. It is a fairly eclectic mix of rock, punk/alt., blues and reggae with some good autographed covers, colored vinyl, picture disks thrown in etc. One of my favorites is a box set of the first 10 Stiff Records singles. Need a new stylus on the turntable so haven't fired anything up for a while. Used to go over to a friend's house every Friday night and once in a while we'd have a designated "vinyl night" where that is all that would be played. Ahh.. the good old days!

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
MMcG said:
I'm sure there are a few vinyl diehards on the monkey. What do you use for a turntable?
I'm running an older Technics belt-drive.
I have lots of old school ska & some hardcore 7 inches that never made it to CD.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
here are some pics of my listening room:

recliner, flanked by my 12" records (and 10" too, but they are in the lowest shelf on the right, hidden by that little nightstand which serves as a drink holder):

opposite view, of my In Progress vinyl and the stereo:

closeup of my Billy Childish and related vinyl:

some cd boxsets:

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Yep, totally still rockin' old records from varying time periods. Some albums sound best on vinyl, like the way they were intended to be heard. I'd count AC/DC's "Back in Black" in there.

I just discovered that all of my L7 records, including rare pressings and bootlegs, are missing. :( I can't remember where I last saw them. I think I put them away for safe-keeping somewhere special and now they're gone.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
narlus said:

recliner, flanked by my 12" records (and 10" too, but they are in the lowest shelf on the right, hidden by that little nightstand which serves as a drink holder):

Nice Kozik posters!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:

opposite view, of my In Progress vinyl and the stereo:

closeup of my Billy Childish and related vinyl:

some cd boxsets:

Holy Geez - a listening room! Nice! Any good job openings at Wyeth???

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
i was thinking the same thing. i have a few 12"ers left. i'll keep them but i dont have a turn table.
I also do not have a tape deck in the house, I dont even have a tapedeck in my truck. i got board this past weekend and decided to throw out my entire collection of tapes. 200ish. I might have been able to hock them out on ebay or something but just didnt feel like bothering with it. So i put them in a box on the curb next to the dumpster with a sign that side "Free tapes to a good home."
I think they lasted about 3.79 seconds.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well this was the 'family room' or 'TV room', whatever you want to call it, before we redid our kitchen and did the addition. so why let it go to waste.

i see this as being a sanctuary, but my wife (rightfully so) remarks that there's only one chair situated for optimal listening and sound-staging.

that must be my throne. :D