Quantcast

How many people actually replace their...

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
helmets after just one impact per the advisory label?

i realize its difficult, if not impossible, to compare falls, and sometimes it is blantantly obvious that you need to do so, but in general does ANYONE replace their helmet after just one fall?

thoughts, comments, etc...

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
My skate helmet has been through a few head hits, but its fine. My f/f helmet is okay. I have done some rolls on rocks with it, but they were low speed/not a lot of force.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
I agree, it's hard to tell when to replace a helmet. Same thing with climbing ropes. Mine's rated to 6 falls, but what does a fall mean? I'm not going to replace a $150 rope after 6 tiny little 3' falls while doing something too technical, but if they are big 20'+ falls, maybe so. If it's a direct hit to the helmet (say, hard enough so that the helmet saved you from some serious injury) then I would definitely consider replacing it.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
i picked up a giro remedy from phil at germantown cycles, totally cool shop/guy btw, and this is only the 2nd time ive worn it. damn glad i did though as i came up short on a big double, nose cased it, and went ass over t kettle (go figure i smoked it the first time i tried it, but decided to try to experiment with the speed) i pulled the liner out to look at it from the inside with no apparent damage, and there is only a scuff on the outside, but it was a pretty hard fall. i think i will be parking the bike for a few weeks...this was the 2nd hard fall in 6 days. i can say i had a blast right up until the fall and DAMN i can't wait to get my session dialed in as its a blast already and only going to get better.

thanks for the replies :thumb:, keep the comments coming

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
My Giro Pneumo has a crack in the foam, right down the center along the forehead. It has been there since last year's Sea Otter.

I should probably replace it. *knocks on wood*

Crashing on that helmet probably wouldn't be a good idea.

The Ito

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
ito said:
My Giro Pneumo has a crack in the foam, right down the center along the forehead. It has been there since last year's Sea Otter.

I should probably replace it. *knocks on wood*

Crashing on that helmet probably wouldn't be a good idea.

The Ito
I used to replace my XC helmet after very crack not every fall. I run a pneumo. I have a ‘minor’ crack in the foam (not even all they way through) right now but I’ll probably keep it for a while.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I replace them if I either injure myself in them (concussion), or they crack from a wreck. I have a blue Animas I got a concussion in a race in that has a nice crack right down the middle...I still have it because it's so much prettier than my Limar... :(

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Does this look like it needs to be replaced?

It went through the fiber glass or whatever but not really through the foam. My head really hurt afterwards and i was abit dizzy and tired. The crack is right along the ridge up above where my temple sits it the helmet.

J

JRB

If I hit hard, I replace it. It means the foam had compressed once and will have lost it's effectiveness. It's expensive, but dying, or being crippled would suck really bad.

FREERDR4LF

Monkey
Feb 11, 2006
FOLSOM, CA.
i have smacked my helmet a couple times but nothing serious. nothing to replace it over.
those were fun crashes too, wish i had them on film

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Luckily(knock on wood), I have only had one really hard hit to the head/helmet, and I did replace my helmet. I've had several "minor" hits to my helmet, and haven't replaced it. However, since TLD helmets aren't cheap, I try to get my money's worth...

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
That's wayyyy too much money, and that warning label is there primarily for legal reasons. My old fullface went through many hard hits as did my skate helmets of years past. I'll replace a helmet if I can see deformities and cracks in the foam. Otherwise no.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
blt2ride said:
However, since TLD helmets aren't cheap, I try to get my money's worth...
Easily the funniest thing all day.

"I'm not going to replace my TLD, even though it has a massive crack directly down the center, because I paid nearly $300 for it."

American consumerism at it's best. At least TLD knows how to work the crowd they cater to.

Why don't you spend hundreds less on what should be considered disposable equipment?

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
blue said:
Easily the funniest thing all day.

"I'm not going to replace my TLD, even though it has a massive crack directly down the center, because I paid nearly $300 for it."

American consumerism at it's best. At least TLD knows how to work the crowd they cater to.

Why don't you spend hundreds less on what should be considered disposable equipment?
What can I say...I try! However, I would replace any helmet, no matter how much it costs, if it was cracked. If I had to explain why so many people buy TLD helmets, you wouldn't understand...

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
Its been so long since I bought a helmet, dont some manufacturers give free replacements if you send the damagaed one back. I thought Specialized or Giro did this for research a few years back the may have stopped since then. That being said I did go over the bars a couple of times riding NorthRim still have the helmet.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
beestiboy said:
Its been so long since I bought a helmet, dont some manufacturers give free replacements if you send the damagaed one back. I thought Specialized or Giro did this for research a few years back the may have stopped since then. That being said I did go over the bars a couple of times riding NorthRim still have the helmet.
Giro (and I'm also assuming Bell, since they're the same company) gives you a 30% discount for a crash replacement. Kinda lame, considering if you have shop hookups/mail order you can get a better deal anyway.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
It would all depend on the severity of the crash. even the smallest of crashes could affect the integrity of the helmet, to me the security is worth more than a new helmet, so if I have an doubts I replace it

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
I slammed pretty hard on my face wearing my fullface a few years ago. I woke up got on my bike to go and realized my front wheel was taco'd. I couldn't have been out too long but it took forever to get back to my shuttle car. My wife thought I was dead(she was probably wishing.)

All I have to say is I'm glad I was wearing the fullface. I contemplated going out with my xc lid but I had just gotten braces a month before. The helmet was actually in good shape. No cracks or deformities. Just chips/scratches from a few rocks that were lying in the soft dirt.

I wore it the rest of the season and bought a new one. I still wear it everynow and then.