Quantcast

How many people own 2 or more bikes?

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
you mean own more then one bike?

that would be 70% of the people on here, atleast..

i have,
Brooklyn - TMX - ride everywhere
Brooklyn - Racelink - ride everywhere
Evil - DOC - ride everywhere
Klein - Q pro carbon - road bike

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
SBDownhillRacer said:
If so why did you feel the need to and what do you ride them on? Also what are the 2 bikes?
>2 here as well.

Trail Bike
HT, now relegated to trailer pulling
Cyclocross bike for on road/off road fun
Fixie, because I need to wear capri pants sometimes :rolleyes:
1950's Columbia cruiser for getting coffee & cruising the boardwalk.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
I have 5 bikes.

- Balfa BB7 for downhill
- Balfa 2Step for trail riding
- Specialized FSR Elite (mostly as a backup trailbike for my wife, brother, etc. to ride)
- Specialized Allez road bike
- Volume Destroyer BMX (that I might some day find the time to ride)

I lust over other bikes all of the time, but the ones I have cover any kind of riding I might want to do.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Intense M3 for DH.
Santa Cruz Heckler for trail riding.
Trek Bruiser for short commutes and as my bike when they others are broken.
Kona Jake-the-Snake that is locked in my trainer....but gets little use as of late.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
I personally have 3 but have to maintain 7 with my wife's and son's bikes:

2 Turner DHRs
1 Turner RFX
1 Turner 5-Spot
1 Sinister Ridge
1 Banshee Morphine
1 Specialized Hotrock

Takes a lot of love and late nights to keep all 7 in tip-top shape but I wouldn't have it any other way.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
an r9 by the end of the week for racing
ss hardtail with z1 for trails and djs
and the road bike that collects dust

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I gots 4....... soon to be 5 :love:

Rocky Mountain RMX -- Freeride/DH
Rocky Mountain Flow -- Freeride/DJ/Street
Gary Fisher Cake 2 Deluxe -- Trails
Surly Cross Check -- Road/trails/commuter

EDIT: oh yeah, the one on i think i'll be getting soon is a GT DHi for Downhill :thumb:

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Demo 9 - DH, Whistler (soon again)......
Foes FXR 2:1 - Main ride, do everything bike
KHS DJ100 - ?, round the neighborhood, BMX track, trails, loaner for others.
Skyway freestyle - Not ridden anymore, looks pretty on the garage wall
Bikes to maintain - Wife's Trek 560, Son's Big Hit, oldest daughters Specialized Hardrock and youngest daughters Specialized Hardrock

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Sinister R9- DH

Sinister Splinter MXS- 4x, freeride and DH

Splinter ER- trail riding, super D and really lame DH tracks

Sinister DNA - 4x and DJ

singlespeed DNA- beat stick

Sinister XC race hardtail (the Mustang, coming soon to a shop near you) - XC races and smoother trailriding

Spooky Pitboss- 29/26" Single speed- Getting crusty with the oldsters.

Ritchey Road Logic- The road beast, 10 years old and still going strong.

Pig steel fixie- commuting, cofee and winter training

Giant TCX 'xross bike- 'cross racing

Spooky Supertouch- backup cross bike

Road frames in the closet- IF crown jewel, Smorgasbord road EPX carbon, Van Dessel

Mtb frames in the closet- Spooky Metalhead, Spooky Darkside, Fat Yo Eddy, Nevil Devil.

I have too many bikes, I don't Need so many, If i didn't race I would be happy with just the Mustang, the MX and my Ritchey. As it is right now I am still short a BMX race bike and a track bike, so even though I have too many bikes, I don't have enough to be able to race all the events I would like!

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
You also asked if we felt there was a "need" to have 2 or more. There's never really a "need" unless you're a pro racer that is. I could honestly have fun on trails, DJ, FR and DH all on my SS Sinister Ridge (even did a 20 mile XC ride on it last year, not intentionally BTW) but it's even more fun to take the much more expensive DHR up to the mountains and use the RFX for Freeriding but they aren't a necessity. I have to admit though, I tried using the RFX as my only ride back in 2001 and I found that I simply didn't DH often since I wouldn't take the time to take the 5" SC off and put the DC on and it wasn't too much fun DH'ing on '01 5" 30mm stanchion SC forks but that was about the best SC you could get back then. Nowadays it's easier since a fork like the Fox 36 likely pedals better than any '01 5" fork, is as stiff if not stiffer than old DC forks and has as much travel as those old DH forks with much better damping. If I could only have one I'd keep the one in the middle, the RFX and foot the bill for a new Fox 36 for it.

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
I do feel that you need at least 2 bikes (depending where you live of course). Although there are many do-it-all bikes these days, having a spare bike is for one of those days where your other bike is out of commission. However, I do currently have 2 bikes that I ride on a regular basis.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
bullit_boxxer said:
6 here

SC v10
SC bullit
Sc Chameleon
Turner Six pack
Trek 6700
Kona kikapu(my little brothers)
you bloody liar!!!! :mumble:
you dont even own one...well, maybe the fox 40 on the v10 but thats all!!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: and maybe the innertubes?
you guys should see "his bikes" they are all super bling.

anyways, i got 2 bikes
vp free for dh
dmr swich back for everything else
would have more if i could aford it. who wouldn't?

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
1 Bike as of now.

IH Sunday WC

Possibly getting a Hollowpoint MKIII Expert if I have some money left over from selling my truck.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
All bikes are different and serve different 'needs' based on what and where I want to ride at a given time.

Yeti Road
Bontrager Cyclocross
Univega Fixed Gear
C-Dale 1FG (Singlespeed)
C-Dale Scapel (short travel FS XC)
C-Dale Prophet (long travel FS)
Soul Cyles Loki SS(jumping)
Santa Cruz Bullitt (FR / DH)

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
my husband and i were just discussing yesterday that having 8 bikes in the house was too many bikes. but what can you do?
me
sc bullit (downhill)
khs 904r (xc)
spec. p1 (bmx track)
trek 6000 (permanently on the trainer)

husband
ironhorse sgs (downhill)
giant vt-2 (xc)
spec. p1 (bmx track)
old khs mtn bike (permanently on the trainer)

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Kona Stab for DH
Azonic Steelhead SS for trail riding/making foul attempts at jumping.
RM Pipeline for trail riding
20 + year old Bianchi road bike that never leaves the trainer.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
My two half-bikes equal to one bike!

-Nucleon ST soon to be rebuilt (just waiting for the Boxxer and a rear wheel)...for DH when I get around to it.

-Trek Bruiser 2 soon to be rebuilt (missing a fork, brakes and derailleur)...for trail riding. I want an all mountain frame to replace it though.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
i currently have 1 but i'm realy just starting the colection. i see 2, maybe 3 more bikes in my future.
current bike- C-dale gemni- dh(untill i get serious into racing)/FR/rough trails
bikes i will have by the end of the summer- kona howler- trail bike/light FR/big MTBish dj
.243 sl 24"- street/park/BMXish dj
it's realy impossable to find one bike that does everything well, even if you only ride dirt. there's just to much variety of riding styles. you can find one bike that does one main thing well, and a few other things so-so. (for me that's the gemni, hence why i got it first.)

Morgan

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
all lit up
at times it can be really nice top have a spare bike, stuff does break and it sucks having your single bike down, the stable at present:
05 v10
06 demo 8
turner rail

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
Santa Cruz V10 - DH (duh?)
Norco Manik - hardtail action, anything from urban to XC to DH to my weak attempt at trials, also great backup for friends w/o bikes
Specialized Enduro Elite - Just picked this up...do everything bike
Giant OCR - for the Lance in me

Honestly, the V10 is absolutely worthless except for DH. If I move back to a smaller apartment I may have to part with it. The Enduro can get by.

I have also thought about getting rid of the hardtail, but its not gonna be worth much and it is a straight workhorse.

No matter what I would have to have a road bike and a mountain bike...so having just one bike is not possible. I know people do centuries on MTB's...but I am not one of them.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
me
03 enduro sx
06 cortina triton (done in a few weeks)
01 stumpjumper fsr xc
00 p3 w/o a fork right now

Feb 13, 2006
once you get a 2d bike of any kind (2d road bike, 2d BMX, 2d cross bike, 2d mtb) you will find all sorts of reasons to own many different bikes.

'04 Haro Backtrail X2 bmx - street riding to work on balance, manuals, hops and general smoothness. hack pissant attempts at DJ.

'01 Curtlo steel SS - variable terrain, but generally rides with less steep climbs and smaller technical features. best bike to take on long rolling rides because it's super lightweight compared to my other rigs. best training device for leg strength and leg power stamina.

'02 Curtlo steel gearie - everything, everywhere

'05 Turner 6-Pack - everything, everywhere

'05 Knolly V-Tach - DH, supertech FR, shuttle runs

'97 Crackandfail CAAD3 series roadie - occasional road rides, occasional roller training, mainly a dust magnet

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
05 V10 - DH/Race bike
06 C'dale Rush 1000 - XC/Race bike
05 DOC - DJ, park, overall play bike
06 C'dale R800 - roadie

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I have 3, but 2 others that need work

Cortina Joyride
Intense M1
Specialized P1

and a Schwinn somethin and an OLD Balance bike

Sometimes I wonder why I have so many. Probably because I can :)