Quantcast

How many (real) jobs have you had?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
It just sort of dawned on me that during my ridemonkey tenure, I am on my 5th job. ....there were two more before that. So I'm on my 7th "real" job since entering the workforce in summer 1994.

How bout you?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I think I am on #4 since I moved to Seattle... It sucks too because in the previous 10 years before that I had a total of two jobs.

Ever since I have moved up here I can't seems to ditch the contract work. The one time I did, I got laid off after a year.

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
i've had none. i'm only 14, so i can't really work in resturants. maybe when i turn 15 or 16 they might hire me somewhere.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
I am 17 and have had 4 jobs, different ones in the winter and summer since i was about 15, ski instructor, grocery store, race shop, farm, etc.

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
Throughout high school and college, I’ve worked for my parents’ real estate company and two bikes shops (Cycle Werks & Supergo/Performance). I also interned at two bike companies (Crank Brothers & SDG USA). Out of college, I’ve been working at Oakley for almost 6 months now.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
By real job what do you mean? I've been a file clerk at a doctors office, cashier @ a grocery store, retail @ bike shop, parking guy, and bike mechanic @ snowshoe

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Sad but true, 15 jobs in 13 years. But over half of that have been contracts, I have worked for 2 companies twice, and 5 companies are no longer in business.

I would like to be with this company for more than a year, but they are a start-up like many other companies I've worked for, so you never know.

splat

Nam I am
MMike said:
Then there's my older bro who has never actively changed jobs in 14 years, but has worked for 4 different companies. His dept keeps getting sold.

My first job was like that , I worked for them for 13 years , and in theat time they got sold 3 times .

My older brother worked for IBM for almost 29 years before his dept. was dissolved and he got laid off,

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
0 real jobs.
3 food service jobs in the 9 years that i have been working.
1 assistantship which is more real than my food service jobs because i'm learning valuable skills that will make me more employable when i graduate, but less real because it pays me ****.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
While I have worked pretty steady since I was 16, this is my first real job. Up untill I met my wife I never had much need for a lot of money. I just figured I would wait for my dad to kick of and leave me everything. Unfortunately girls require both time AND money... lot's of money.

By "real job" I mean a job that I can actually make a living at, make a career out of, that includes important things like health insurance, retirement plans and all that.