Quantcast

how many refugees are going to Arkansas?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Hawkeye said:
Doesn't Memphis have its own problem with segregation? I haven't been there in 5 years or so but the last time I was there I remember it being white or black and the black parts were not too nice. Now how are 10,000 displaced people going to make Memphis (a pretty nice place to visit for the most part) any better? Where are they going to put them in the Pyramid?
Yes, Memphis is deeply segregated, for the most part. Downtown & Midtown are pretty diverse...well, as diverse as it gets (read:mostly white & black with a tiny bit of Asians & Mexicans...tiny as in very tiny). As far as if the evacuees are going to make anything better, I dont think it will pan out, because the city is broke, the pyramid will be used as a soundstage for John Singletons next movie, so they cant stay there, supposedly they were going to use the coliseum, but I dont think that will pan out either.

Memphis is like NO's sister city. Our politicians, except for a select few, are unethical thugs, who use the race card to win elections (most of the white people live outside the city limits). Poverty is rampant, as well as violent crime, drug crimes & has been said is one of the most dangerous cities in the nation.

If the big one ever hits (we are on the biggest fault line in the nation & a 8.0+ has been predicited in the near future), I expect a scene like what we have seen in NO in the last week & half. Maybe worse.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Andyman_1970 said:
Everytime I've visited there I have liked it.........now their airport is a different story.

Really.........wow that seems a bit odd to say the least.

They do it here along the Aurora/Naperville border. Aurora is a little town of about 165,000 that is about 40% hispanic. Naperville is a little town of about 145,000 that is 95% white. The Naperville police patrol Rt.59 (which is the border) at the main roads which lead to Aurora's downtown area with reckless abandon. You can't drive down 59 without seeing at least 2 cops and after dark they have the lights going all night.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Hawkeye said:
I personally liked it. But I was staying in a friends million dollar home in Germantown. And he drove us around everywhere so the chance of going into the wrong parts of town where slim.

I do know that on the Memphis/Germantown border they did a pretty good job of stopping cars that were driven by non-whites and telling them to go back to Memphis proper.
ahhhh....the GPD. In all fairness, they dont like poor white people either. But you are so right. Glad to know my fair city portrays such a good image. :rolleyes:

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
TN said:
Yes, Memphis is deeply segregated, for the most part. Downtown & Midtown are pretty diverse...well, as diverse as it gets (read:mostly white & black with a tiny bit of Asians & Mexicans...tiny as in very tiny). As far as if the evacuees are going to make anything better, I dont think it will pan out, because the city is broke, the pyramid will be used as a soundstage for John Singletons next movie, so they cant stay there, supposedly they were going to use the coliseum, but I dont think that will pan out either.

Memphis is like NO's sister city. Our politicians, except for a select few, are unethical thugs, who use the race card to win elections (most of the white people live outside the city limits). Poverty is rampant, as well as violent crime, drug crimes & has been said is one of the most dangerous cities in the nation.

If the big one ever hits (we are on the biggest fault line in the nation & a 8.0+ has been predicited in the near future), I expect a scene like what we have seen in NO in the last week & half. Maybe worse.

That is very sad. NO has such a rich history and most of that is now gone. I don't see what will bring people back there.

Memphis is a great place to visit. The musical history is just amazing and I don't know if Beale St. can be beat as far as live music is concerned.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Hawkeye said:
They do it here along the Aurora/Naperville border. Aurora is a little town of about 165,000 that is about 40% hispanic. Naperville is a little town of about 145,000 that is 95% white. The Naperville police patrol Rt.59 (which is the border) at the main roads which lead to Aurora's downtown area with reckless abandon. You can't drive down 59 without seeing at least 2 cops and after dark they have the lights going all night.
Neither Naperville nor Aurora qualify as Little towns, if you put there populations together they would rank in the top 75 metropolitan areas in the country.

They are both Small Cities, and each of those cities has there own Identity, Aurora for the most part is blue collar and Diverse, and Naperville is White Collar, and mostly white below the collar.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
MunkeeHucker said:
Neither Naperville nor Aurora qualify as Little towns, if you put there populations together they would rank in the top 75 metropolitan areas in the country.

They are both Small Cities, and each of those cities has there own Identity, Aurora for the most part is blue collar and Diverse, and Naperville is White Collar, and mostly white below the collar.

The "little town" comment was in jest.

But Aurora now features some of the largest homes in DuPage county and a mayor who wants to renovate downtown and inforce code and housing violations. I don't know what is going to happen in downtown but it should be interesting.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The Toninator said:
i would like to relocate, anybody wana take me in?
You are welcome to stay with me indefinitely. Just answer these questions:

1. What is the name of Quintron's club?
2. What bar is across the street from Quintron's club?
3. What part of town is located in?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
sanjuro said:
You are welcome to stay with me indefinitely. Just answer these questions:

1. What is the name of Quintron's club?
2. What bar is across the street from Quintron's club?
3. What part of town is located in?
the answer is 42.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The Toninator said:
the answer is 42.
Leave your address with me. I know at least 20 evacuaees who are looking for a place...

1. Spellcaster's Lounge
2. Saturn Bar
3. Ninth Ward (Upper)