Quantcast

how many refugees are going to Arkansas?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
maybe it's 'cause i'm in TX or something, but i'm not hearing anything about refugees going into Arkansas. i just heard on the news that some will be going to El Paso...El Paso? wouldn't Kansas be closer? Missouri? Arkansas?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
we are expecting at least 10k alone here in Memphis. Not too sure it will pan out.

They should send them all to Crawford, if you ask me.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
well i know that some are commin here, northwest arkansas(where i live) they said on the news that there will be about 30 kids goin to school at the high schools up here, and that the U of A(also in NWA) is waving the out of state tuition for this semester for students that went to school in louisiana

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
TN said:
we are expecting at least 10k alone here in Memphis. Not too sure it will pan out.

Why Crawford? Hopefully its because you some irrational belief that Bush is responsible for their plight and not that you don't want them in your backyard.

They are sending them wherever they can. 200, probably more are on the way to Charlotte Colesium at some point next week. I'm going over there with some friends to help set up cots tonight. The numbers are such that they are going to have to go lots of places.

J

JRB

DRB said:
Why Crawford? Hopefully its because you some irrational belief that Bush is responsible for their plight and not that you don't want them in your backyard.
OK - here is my take. Why does the Goddamned federal government have to fix every fvkking thing??? Why can't we blame the state and local governments??? How much do you people think one man can, or should do??? I rarely hear irrational rants from people in management. It is a fvkking country for krissakes. Who here thinks they can run it??? I don't mean come up with good ideas, I mean, run it. Being accountable and all. Until you have to make choices that affect other people, be quiet. If you already do, run for president. :thumb:

*this is not directed at DRB, and really should be in a different thread, but I am not going to look for one to put it in.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
loco said:
OK - here is my take. Why does the Goddamned federal government have to fix every fvkking thing??? Why can't we blame the state and local governments???
Here hear!

In LA, apparently it was the rest of the country's fault that we let the city built in the swamp sink into the swamp.

What has NO done for *itself* lately? I mean, other than Mardi Gras?

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
Loco, I pretty much agree with you on that one.

But still it's pretty disturbing to see that those people are going through. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone. But I was watching CNN last night eating a pizza in the comfort of my own home. I felt guilty kinda. Tonight we are getting our closets cleaned out and droping what ever we can off to this tatto parlor that's loading up some big trucks and heading out on Monday. I thought it was pretty cool that this inked up crazy looking dude is going to drive out there and personally drop this stuff off to who ever needs it.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
DRB said:

They are sending them wherever they can. 200, probably more are on the way to Charlotte Colesium at some point next week. I'm going over there with some friends to help set up cots tonight. The numbers are such that they are going to have to go lots of places.
it was a wise crack, fool. take it at that. :D

I am not playing the blame game, as far as I am concerned all leaders on ALL levels in this situation have failed miserably.

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
**** it!!!!!! I say give em to george. Hes already catering to every unwanted mexican on the planet. Whats a few hundred thousand more people to leach of the system. :confused:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The Amish said:
**** it!!!!!! I say give em to george. Hes already catering to every unwanted mexican on the planet. Whats a few hundred thousand more people to leach of the system. :confused:
Where are these "unwanted" mexicans you speak of. Farmers have been complaining this year because of a lack of migrant farm workers. This lack of workers is caused by increased security on the border, what border you say?

Drumroll please............................

Mexico.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
loco said:
OK - here is my take. Why does the Goddamned federal government have to fix every fvkking thing???
Because that is what they are supposed to do... "Federal Emergency Management Agency".

They knew it was coming, and they knew it was big... but they waited until afterwards to do anything about it?!?!?!

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
Westy said:
Where are these "unwanted" mexicans you speak of. Farmers have been complaining this year because of a lack of migrant farm workers. This lack of workers is caused by increased security on the border, what border you say?

Drumroll please............................

Mexico.
Increased security on the boarder because plain old americans went to the border and took care of it themselves.... i.e Minutemen. Simply put if you dont want to pick the oranges, then you wont have oranges to eat. Personaly i'd rather give up the oranges, then flood my country, and all its social safety nets with people who dont belong here. Dont get me wrong, My grandparents were imigrants, and I 100% support coming to this country legaly, but that means standing in line, adopting the culture, and learning the language. Why bring Illegals here to pick the oranges when there's millions of people on welfare doing nothing for their checks, but smoke crack and spit out babies. Get all those idiots running around new orleans, floating tv's down the streets, and looting liqour stores to do it. There obviously to stupid to do anything else with there lives. Hell they weren't even smart enough to take free rides out of town before Katrina, and still wont do it after. Sounds to me like they'd be perfect orange pickers.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
The Amish said:
Increased security on the boarder because plain old americans went to the border and took care of it themselves.... i.e Minutemen. Simply put if you dont want to pick the oranges, then you wont have oranges to eat. Personaly i'd rather give up the oranges, then flood my country, and all its social safety nets with people who dont belong here. Dont get me wrong, My grandparents were imigrants, and I 100% support coming to this country legaly, but that means standing in line, adopting the culture, and learning the language. Why bring Illegals here to pick the oranges when there's millions of people on welfare doing nothing for their checks, but smoke crack and spit out babies. Get all those idiots running around new orleans, floating tv's down the streets, and looting liqour stores to do it. There obviously to stupid to do anything else with there lives. Hell they weren't even smart enough to take free rides out of town before Katrina, and still wont do it after. Sounds to me like they'd be perfect orange pickers.
You're an idiot.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
loco said:
OK - here is my take. Why does the Goddamned federal government have to fix every fvkking thing??? Why can't we blame the state and local governments??? How much do you people think one man can, or should do??? I rarely hear irrational rants from people in management. It is a fvkking country for krissakes. Who here thinks they can run it??? I don't mean come up with good ideas, I mean, run it. Being accountable and all. Until you have to make choices that affect other people, be quiet. If you already do, run for president. :thumb:

*this is not directed at DRB, and really should be in a different thread, but I am not going to look for one to put it in.
Good one.

Whose in charge of FEMA?
Whose in charge of the US Corp of Engineers?
Whose in charge of the Military?

Give you a hint, it is not local or state gov't.

I will give you another one. When Bush flew over New Orleans, the Convention Center had finally received water and supplies. Think that is a coincidence?

P.S. Making the comment that who is capable to run for president should speak up is idiotic. Just because only 1 in 100 milllion becomes president does not mean others do not have a voice or a part to play in this country.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The Amish said:
So are you volunteering your home for evacuaees?

J

JRB

sanjuro said:
Good one.

Whose in charge of FEMA?
Whose in charge of the US Corp of Engineers?
Whose in charge of the Military?

Give you a hint, it is not local or state gov't.

I will give you another one. When Bush flew over New Orleans, the Convention Center had finally received water and supplies. Think that is a coincidence?

P.S. Making the comment that who is capable to run for president should speak up is idiotic. Just because only 1 in 100 milllion becomes president does not mean others do not have a voice or a part to play in this country.
I understand that the government is involved, but it's stupid to place all the onus on them. What is so wrong with a local government having a plan??? That was my question. Keep blaming the feds for everything that goes wrong. That'll help us all out. You are right, we do have a voice and we do play a part. It's good to hear that you know that, now think about why you would expect the feds to have done more. It takes time to orchestrate a plan. If you want to blame someone, blame the locals that didn't even have one.

*edit - it sounds like you don't think you could be president, so why would you feel the need to criticize the way things went. My real point is, we don't have any idea what to do. Arguing about it on the Internet is just stupid.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
loco said:
I understand that the government is involved, but it's stupid to place all the onus on them. What is so wrong with a local government having a plan??? That was my question. Keep blaming the feds for everything that goes wrong. That'll help us all out. You are right, we do have a voice and we do play a part. It's good to hear that you know that, now think about why you would expect the feds to have done more. It takes time to orchestrate a plan. If you want to blame someone, blame the locals that didn't even have one.
OK. Here is New Orleans' plan:

1,400 police officers, the Superdome, and the Louisana National Guard. Well, the 1,400 officers got tired, the Superdome roof blew off, and the Louisiana National Guard is defending our freedom in Iraq.

I do think the city and the state made mistakes, but even if they had made perfect plans, the federal government are directly involved, specifically in the maintenance of the levees and management of emergency resources after the disaster. And both jobs were poorly done.

New Orleans is not as well run as, lets say, New York City. To live there, you have accept the bad with the good. I dealt with crime, corruption, miserable public works, and generally a lack of initiative. But I also enjoyed the festive nature of the city, and I miss living there often.

With the exception of a quicker seizure of private assets, namely the buses, I think Ray Nagin did a good job with his limited resources. I have no opinion about Kathleen Blanco (although I bet Bobby Jindal would have done a more effective job), but she has to assist the other Parishs as well.

loco said:
*edit - it sounds like you don't think you could be president, so why would you feel the need to criticize the way things went. My real point is, we don't have any idea what to do. Arguing about it on the Internet is just stupid.
Ok, I was being nice before. Your comment about being president is idiotic. With that logic, only presidental candidates and ex-presidents could speak about any decision made by the federal gov't.

I write about these issues because it hits home for me. I am expressing the pain and anger I feel about Katrina and the aftermath.

I read, I listen, and I talk to my friends who left. I also have a plan of my own to help New Orleans, which is to raise as much money as possible and take in evacuees.

You, me, and everyone else on this board is not going to be president. So what is your plan to help out?

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Back to the OP, AR is getting a load of folks from NO. All the community centers in a several county radius from me in Little Rock are full. Our church has even gotten involved, we have several vacant houses across the street from the church and have opened them up to multiple familes...........which is very cool IMO.

Anyway.............

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I've heard people are refusing to go to Utah.

And I believe the city of NO response was to tell the poor in NO was that they were on their own in a snazzy DVD production. Here is to hoping you had a DVD player to get the message.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
stevew said:
I've heard people are refusing to go to Utah.

And I believe the city of NO response was to tell the poor in NO was that they were on their own in a snazzy DVD production. Here is to hoping you had a DVD player to get the message.

after the storm, everyone and their dog has a DVD player, and a plasma screen tv to watch it on :mumble:

electricity to power it on the other hand, well.............

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Andyman_1970 said:
Back to the OP, AR is getting a load of folks from NO. All the community centers in a several county radius from me in Little Rock are full. Our church has even gotten involved, we have several vacant houses across the street from the church and have opened them up to multiple familes...........which is very cool IMO.

Anyway.............

I wonder how many are being "relocated" to Mountain Home or Harrison... :devil:

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
XtCamZ said:
20,000 are coming to Arkansas. They are even opening up Fort Chaffee for them.
The actual # will be at least double, 20,000 not to mention the score that came here(Arkansas) on there own accord before the storm hit,
Local churches , organizations and even local goverments are banding together to help our brothers from LA & MS in their time of need. Gov. Hucklebee has released 10 million in aid from the state coffers to help get places like Fort Chaffe up and running, we also are excepting displaced children in our schools, no waiting just show up and start learning, and for college students, they can attend the State Universities , the will have to pay the instate tuition which is much lower.
I live just outside of Little Rock and I have seen a bunch of effort in raising funds, finding homes and showing some love the evacuees.
There are even orginazations already finding work for those that need it.
I feel in the long run we will find that a large percentage will have stayed on and will become productive Arkansans. :thumb:

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
stinkyboy said:
They're not "refugees"
I agree, I find the term "refugees" pretty offensive. The media has done a pretty good job reporting on looting, rapes, fires, murders, etc. However, there are a lot of honest, hard working, Americans who have been displaced by Hurricane Katrina. They are Americans who had their lives turned upside down--not refugees. Just my $.02...

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
N8 said:
I wonder how many are being "relocated" to Mountain Home or Harrison... :devil:
LOL.............I doubt any of the brotha's from NO are being relocated there.......for their own safety I'm sure........

Those folks up there are just plain creepy...............

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
TN said:

Doesn't Memphis have its own problem with segregation? I haven't been there in 5 years or so but the last time I was there I remember it being white or black and the black parts were not too nice. Now how are 10,000 displaced people going to make Memphis (a pretty nice place to visit for the most part) any better? Where are they going to put them in the Pyramid?

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Andyman_1970 said:
I've heard the same thing, many Little Rock'ers I've talked to would not relocate to Memphis for just that reason..........

I personally liked it. But I was staying in a friends million dollar home in Germantown. And he drove us around everywhere so the chance of going into the wrong parts of town where slim.

I do know that on the Memphis/Germantown border they did a pretty good job of stopping cars that were driven by non-whites and telling them to go back to Memphis proper.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
blt2ride said:
I agree, I find the term "refugees" pretty ofensive. The media has done a pretty good job reporting on looting, rapes, fires, murders, etc. However, there are a lot of honest, hard working, Americans who have been displaced by Hurrican Katrina. They are Americans who had their lives turned upside down--not refugees. Just my $.02...
I agree. Not to argue semantics, but "refugees" they are not:

ref·u·gee
n.
One who flees in search of refuge, as in times of war, political oppression, or religious persecution.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
I Are Baboon said:
I agree. Not to argue semantics, but "refugees" they are not:

ref·u·gee
n.
One who flees in search of refuge, as in times of war, political oppression, or religious persecution.

So what are they called?

Displaced Person?
Huricanuge?

I think Foxnews needs to come up with a new word.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Astrodome will soon be empty

Wednesday, 8:15 a.m.

Harris County Judge Robert Eckles, coordinating the relief effort at the Astrodome, said Wednesday morning he expects the facility to be emptied in a couple of weeks.

"This is a shelter, not a home," he said. He said officials have been moving about 1,500 a day to permanent housing.

Eckles and other Houston officials said the city can handle the estimated 150,000 to 200,000 residents from Louisiana who evacuated from Katrina.

"We're a big city - about 5 million - and that's about the size of the entire state of Louisiana," he said. "We'll deal with it if they stay."

Eckles said officials continue the work of finding family members who have been separated from their loved ones, saying hundreds have already been reunited so far.

He also said the business community in Houston and throughout Texas has embraced the effort to help out in the aftermath of Katrina, working to provide job placement opportunities.

"They come here broken," he said of the flow of displaced residents, which includes 15,000 at the Astrodome. "Our community has embraced these folks."

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Hawkeye said:
I personally liked it. But I was staying in a friends million dollar home in Germantown.
Everytime I've visited there I have liked it.........now their airport is a different story.

Hawkeye said:
I do know that on the Memphis/Germantown border they did a pretty good job of stopping cars that were driven by non-whites and telling them to go back to Memphis proper.
Really.........wow that seems a bit odd to say the least.