Quantcast

How many spacers?

ridinobryan

Chimp
Jun 18, 2004
Atlanta
I'm changing frames and the head tube length on new frame is about an inch shorter than old frame. Is there a rule on how many spacers that can be used?

Thanks all.

G

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
The only things limiting you are your friends laughing or you nutting yourself on the extra spacers are set above your stem. Do what's comfortable, it will work with as many spacers as you can fit.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I would say "about an inch";)

I always have spacers in my tool box. You can cut the steerer down but I would jsut get some spacers....some longer/taller ones and some smaller thinner ones.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I've got about an inch and a half of spacers above my stem. One of these days I'll cut it but I've been riding it that way for over a year without problems. Plus I made some spacers that are knurled on the outside so they look cooler than just a plain old ugly spacer, without the extra steerer tube length how would I be able to showcase my handywork?

V

Vermont

why on top of the stem if his old bike had a taller head tube he will feel like his stem is too low...put them under the stem to get the same feel as old frame..jkust my thots

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
From the Mojo mechanic:

30 mm is the limit most manufacturers of headsets recommend if there is more than 5 spacers between the headset and underside of the stem....

multiple spacers are just for adjustment purposes.....once you have it dialed in....and IF there are more than 30 mm of spacers.....try to find the largest spacers possible of the area between the headset and stem.....

why?

steerers in general can flex....this flexing can cause riders to think their headsets are loose or that there is bushing slop in the suspension fork.....OR think that the bearings in their headsets are shot....

the other more serious problem is that the gap between the steerer and the inside of the headset cup is usually less than a few milimeters....enough steerer flex...especially for big riders, can cause the steerer to rub the inside headset cup skirt and get a goove worn into the steerer from this rub....

steerers are the places you don't want iregularities in the surface of the metal caused by metal to metal friction and heat......

ESPECIALLY if you've got a carbon or aluminum steerer....

so....if you have more than 30 mm of spacer between the stem and headset.....try to use as tall a spacer as possible.....some places like Tamer suspension and King can make a custom length spacer once you get the bar height dialed in....

if it's less than thirty...multiple spacers are ok....

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
but you can stack as many spacers as you want above the stem. I usually screw down the top cap, tighten down the crown and stem and then back off the top cap screw a quarter turn or so just because I can. Whatever's above the stem sees no load or impact once the stem is clamped down.