Quantcast

How might one

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I don't believe any email that travels outside of local Exchange servers and such can be deleted in such a way.. It's like a telephone call, you can't "unsay" it.

If it's within a local exchange server, pull up the Sent mail, click the Actions menu, and click "Recall This Message". Even that isn't foolproof, as a message will go to the recepient that says, "So-and-so wants to recall message: <message subject>" - then the recepient will need to open that message BEFORE opening the real email.

Other than that... hack the recepient's email server, format their drives, and hope the recepient hasn't read the email yet ;)

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. sounds like a good thing to invent then huh? I know there are programs that will self destruct an email once it's been read.... there needs to be this thing. My post office is made of cement and hard to burn.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
spincrazy said:
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. sounds like a good thing to invent then huh? I know there are programs that will self destruct an email once it's been read.... there needs to be this thing. My post office is made of cement and hard to burn.
Any programs that will destroy an email once it's been read, or anything you might invent that would allow you to recall an email, would be completely reliant on the recepient or recepient's server running a program or script that tells it to delete itself or what have you.

Other than that, the servers and email clients talk amongst themselves and the email itself is not consulted on the issue of whether it would like to go, nor is it asked if it would like to make a phone call home to check for any last thoughts you may have on its delivery.

If you save your email in your drafts folder and think about it for an hour first, before hitting the Send button, you might avoid the whole issue ;)

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Actually, I sent no miss emails myself - this time anyway. My boss asked me about it the other day is all and I decided to find out. Didn't find out a whole lot, but I think she's screwed.

I feel like you could target an inbox to destroy specific emails via a web browser or email program such as Outlook. I mean I don't know, but it sounds right. Perhaps you'd have to send email via this program which would contain an identifier in it that the destroyer email could use to then kill it. I know nothing about the subject obviously + I'm high and it's late....

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Toshi said:
heh, that's a funny idea, of having the email text be a remotely linked image. it would work, except that i bet many html-capable email programs cache images, and some people would save them, too...
Yeah, it's really only a useful tool if you're trying to change/delete emails before they are read. Once they're read, the receipient has too much control.

Also, I would view this is a pretty unprofessional way to do business. It doesn't exactly give me a sense of confidence when someone I'm hiring to perform a service is so prone to error that they actually invested in a type of email that they can change after they've sent it. Especially considering that the rest of the world uses normal email and gets along just fine with it - errors and all.