Quantcast

How much are you worth??????????

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
So I'm being promoted in my company. They said once I topped 17k posts on RM I was a shoe in for the new position. :)
But seriously I'm moving up in my company and they are asking me what I think I should get as a raise. I HATE this type of question!!!
So now I'm struck trying to figure out how much to ask for.

Anybody been here before? How did you figure it out?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I assume you'll be taking on more responsibility? Any guestimate as to how much more... just a little? a fair amount? Doubling your work load? Is the new responsibility more "visible"? i.e. are you going to be doing stuff that is more important to the company? Base it on that - if you're only taking on a little more, then you should only be paid a little more.

Also, keep in mind what you are making and where you live. You're closer to the city, so salaries are probably different down there, but up here, $45k is a ton of money...

Regardless... have some reasons why you think you should get the raise you are suggesting. Don't just pull it out of thin air. I had a post a while back - had a URL in it to a website that gave average salaries for certian jobs in a given area. That kind of thing would help you decide as well.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
stosh said:
So I'm being promoted in my company. They said once I topped 17k posts on RM I was a shoe in for the new position. :)
But seriously I'm moving up in my company and they are asking me what I think I should get as a raise. I HATE this type of question!!!
So now I'm struck trying to figure out how much to ask for.

Anybody been here before? How did you figure it out?
Always ask for more than what you expect!

My paycheck is getting a nice little 10% bump this month. :)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
I assume you'll be taking on more responsibility? Any guestimate as to how much more... just a little? a fair amount? Doubling your work load? Is the new responsibility more "visible"? i.e. are you going to be doing stuff that is more important to the company? Base it on that - if you're only taking on a little more, then you should only be paid a little more.

Also, keep in mind what you are making and where you live. You're closer to the city, so salaries are probably different down there, but up here, $45k is a ton of money...

Regardless... have some reasons why you think you should get the raise you are suggesting. Don't just pull it out of thin air. I had a post a while back - had a URL in it to a website that gave average salaries for certian jobs in a given area. That kind of thing would help you decide as well.
Yeah I'll be more visible.

45k down here is low income.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
DRB said:
I thought you were moving to North Carolina.... I mean Turk Cacca.....
Nort Carolina was an option but isn't anymore. I'm turning down the Turks and Caico's thing because the guy running it was the owner of a company I used to work for and still to this day owes me about 4 weeks worth of pay (long story about an a$$ cheating people out of money). Plus I feel like my friend how was trying to railroading me into it which I didn't like.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I would ask them what the pay range for the position is. Make them throw out the first number. If the position already exists they know the salary range. Entering a negotiation where the other side knows more than you (ie. both your salary and what they can budget for the new position) is a recipe for getting your ass handed to you.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'm horrible at making deals, I would rather loose money than look greedy. This follows thru to asking for a pay increase.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
stosh said:
I'm horrible at making deals, I would rather loose money than look greedy. This follows thru to asking for a pay increase.
You're gonna get screwed, buddy. Roughly. Without lubricant.

You need to be a little bit aggressive, otherwise they're gonna give it to you up the poop chute.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
You're gonna get screwed, buddy. Roughly. Without lubricant.

You need to be a little bit aggressive, otherwise they're gonna give it to you up the poop chute.
Yeah I should be.... damn.... ok well it still wont' be for another week or 2 so I have some time to plot my course.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stosh said:
are you on drugs or something?
no, but i had a dream last night that i got really baked. does that count?

answer me this - did you know who the owner of the T&C business venture was before you solicited advice? or was that learned just recently? and is that really the reason for (darth) bailing, or a convenient excuse?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
What am I worth right now? Good question, a respectable amount, but whatever.

However, if I ever get killed by some part of the government of by the fault of an evil corporation, I don't think my family would settle for anything less than $42 million.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
narlus said:
no, but i had a dream last night that i got really baked. does that count?

answer me this - did you know who the owner of the T&C business venture was before you solicited advice? or was that learned just recently? and is that really the reason for (darth) bailing, or a convenient excuse?
nope I knew.

However I never thought about the business end of it, all I saw was the white sand beaches. Then as I started to ask questions about the whole thing it got worse and worse. First off my friend was slowly coaxing me towards it because he wasn't acting as my friend but as a partner to the guy who I used to work for. That really bothered me because I was getting tainted information. Second off I got NO vacation time for 2 years. 3rd working on an island would be way cool but I know how my friend works and I know what they would expect and that is 6days a week kinda stuff and thats not what I'm about. 4th thing is this guy who I would be working for stiffed his entire company worth of about 4 paychecks. He wasn't allowed to start another business for like 2 years or something but he started doing work "off the books" right away. He's just all in all shady.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I've always asked for a % of what I'm currently getting.

10%, 15% ?

also consider what other employees are making & skew accordingly.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
dump said:
I've always asked for a % of what I'm currently getting.

10%, 15% ?

also consider what other employees are making & skew accordingly.
But it's not just a raise but also an increase in job duties.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
stosh said:
Investigate the links I gave you, and see if you can find a couple more. Then print out all the information you find that is in your favor and bring it with you when you go in to talk money. This will show them that a) you've done your homework and b) you take this very seriously. Just going in and throwing out a number you like, with nothing to back up your claim will do you no good. They'll just counter with their lowball number and tell you that's the best they can do and probably try to give you some b.s. about how its more than fair.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
pixelninja said:
Investigate the links I gave you, and see if you can find a couple more. Then print out all the information you find that is in your favor and bring it with you when you go in to talk money. This will show them that a) you've done your homework and b) you take this very seriously. Just going in and throwing out a number you like, with nothing to back up your claim will do you no good. They'll just counter with their lowball number and tell you that's the best they can do and probably try to give you some b.s. about how its more than fair.
ok will do!
I'm thinking a $6/hr raise should be a good starting point. Thing is thats a 20% increase. Based on what I looked up in the links you sent me that should put me about right even a tad less and I still qualify as low income to get a NYS low intrest mortgage.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
stosh said:
Yeah I'll be more visible.

45k down here is low income.
Come on, I live 15 minutes from you and 45K is not low income. Sure some make more some make less but by no means is that "low" income.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Lexx D said:
Come on, I live 15 minutes from you and 45K is not low income. Sure some make more some make less but by no means is that "low" income.
45k is still considered low enough to qualify for low income loans in Orange County. Also the difference between Orange and Ulster county qualifying wage is over $13k difference with Orange being 53,109 and Ulster being $39,550.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
stosh said:
45k is still considered low enough to qualify for low income loans in Orange County. Also the difference between Orange and Ulster county qualifying wage is over $13k difference with Orange being 53,109 and Ulster being $39,550.
So what your telling me is to work in orange and live in ulster :think: . I'm above that anyway but I'm looking into it.