Quantcast

How much can a CX bike handle?

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I have been riding this bike around.

It's great for DJ and a bit of trail, and with some skinnies, it's not too bad on the road. But I have found that it is too small, and gets uncomfortable on longer xc/road rides.
I also have a DH bike.

My mom constantly nags me about how inefficient mountain bikes are, and I think she has finally got to me. So I have been thinking about a cyclocross bike. One option I like is the MONK by SOULCYCLES.Monk

Then there is always a xc bike or a singlespeed.ss

Somehow I think that a xc bike is too much for xc, commuting to school and transportation.

My question is... How much can a cx bike handle? Can I ride fast on trails, as long as I am extremely smooth? Can I bunnyhop onto ledges? What can you do on a cx bike short of breaking it?

The hardtail is just too much for the road, ok on trail, and great at SST or whatever, same with the DH bike, but I think I need something just for xc and road.

I know there is another thread on this right now, but I wanted as much attention as I could get :p .

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I guess I don't understand, you want to take a cx bike and ride xc trails with it??? I take my xc hardtail on road rides and its fine as long as I put slicks on it. Just clarify again what exactly you are asking, I didn't glean it out of your post.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Yes, I want to take a cx bike and ride xc trails on it, but I will use it on the road mostly. I just want something that can haul ass on the road because I'm tired of flat pedals and riser bars.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I'd just get an old road bike if you are just gonna use it for commuting, if you hunt around garage sales and police auctions and stuff you can actually find some nice old lugged steel road bikes for dirt cheap.

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
Yes, a cross bike can handle quite of bit of XC as long as you aren't really jumping up or down things. When the going gets rough you'll be limited by tire volume more than anything else (i.e. I always get my narrow tires stuck between rocks and crash...)

An alternative may be some sort of 29-er (like a Karate Monkey). Get a reasonably adaptable set of bars (H-bars? M-bars? dirt drops?) and both fat and skinny tires and you'll do alright.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I think I might just try this GumbaFish idea, old steel road bike + Cyclocross tires= fun. I figure that as long as I pump the tires up to 120psi, I can surf down trails and gravel.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
recidivist said:
An alternative may be some sort of 29-er (like a Karate Monkey). Get a reasonably adaptable set of bars (H-bars? M-bars? dirt drops?) and both fat and skinny tires and you'll do alright.
I agree.

I've been riding with(and beating) roadies for the past year with my Karate Monkey set up as a fixed gear with some scott at-2 bars. Slick tires work wonders and the whole bike cost me maybe $700. I also use it as an XC race bike and have raced sport single speed this year and will be upgrading to expert next year.

It ain't the prettiest road bike, but it does the job and an be made reasonably light.

The Ito

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
indieboy said:
you don't want to be riding a trail on 35cm tires @ 120 psi man
No, you really don't. First the shaking and jostling will knock your dentures out, then the tires will slice into the gravel and you'll be on your face in no time.

Now fat tires at modest pressures ... why, it's be just like a mountainbike.

Boomer-61

Chimp
Jul 17, 2002
Atlanta, GA
If you are using it as a commuter bike I'd go as cheap as possible. When I was in college I had an old stump jumper, fully rigid. It was not much to look at but it got me around. I say this because of what these bikes take, curbs, roads getting tossed around and are put in view of people who want to steal your stuff. If someone pinched the bike I would have been pissed but not out a lot of money. Basically, get something fun to ride but don't spend a lot of money on it. Find something used for a good deal. Ride it, beat it and don't worry about it.
Ride on!

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
How about this?

It's a 2003ish with some mavic rims (doesn't say about hubs) STI shift/brake. 8 speed. Looks like ok componentry. What do you think would be a reasonable price for this used? $400? $500?

ricebowls

Monkey
May 24, 2002
san francisco
CX bikes can handle a hell of a lot. I ride some really techy xc trails on mine when i'm looking for a good challange. I also recall a rider at Whistler a couple seasons ago doing flatland tricks on a beefed up cross rig. And if you throw road tires on they make great road bikes as well, great for fitness trainiing in the winter and commuting. And cyclocross racing is a blast tooas well as improving your skills. As far as tire pressure 30-40psi for trail riding is fine.
For me out of all my bikes I'm usually riding either my cross bike or my v10.