Quantcast

How much did you pay WIM to race?

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
I did a pre reg online. it was $43 bucks plus the $2.75 online reg/sucker fee.

Then i was checking times and I noticed the XC cost HERE.

That looks to me like the XC dudes get it a little (and by a little i mean a lot) easier. Is that the way it always is?

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Thats not correct - Pro/Semi/Open for XC is $41 . Its only a $2 difference and we require a shuttle?
As for the $2.75 online fee, that seems sort of bogus to me. Whats the point of pre-reg if they still hit you for $3?

66 said:
I did a pre reg online. it was $43 bucks plus the $2.75 online reg/sucker fee.

Then i was checking times and I noticed the XC cost HERE.

That looks to me like the XC dudes get it a little (and by a little i mean a lot) easier. Is that the way it always is?

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
trailhacker said:
Thats not correct - Pro/Semi/Open for XC is $41 . Its only a $2 difference and we require a shuttle?
As for the $2.75 online fee, that seems sort of bogus to me. Whats the point of pre-reg if they still hit you for $3?
ah. i forgot the semi thing. is beginner through expert less then 43?

the $2.75 sucks but it's a little better then 10 and if there is ever a line for sign in you can cut.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
I just got a mailer for the Norba National in Utah. They list a $5 spread between DH and XC with XC being cheaper at $45 for most of the events. The thing that really sucks I think you have to have a NORBA license to run expert-no day license.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
trailhacker said:
Unfortunately it costs money to let users register online. It's not free, yet everyone seems to think it is. It is a service they offer to the racer to make it easier to register. In todays age everyone wants to do it online, thats fine but realize that a website requires: hosting, domain, developers time to setup the registration, payment gateways, security measures to make sure your transaction is safe. Plus keep in mind if you were to give your CC to someone at a store there is a processing fee for almost all of them no matter where you go. Big retail stores just eat the costs, however Kevin, you should know how much it costs to run a race, race entry for DH covers shuttle costs, porta-potties, permits, rental fees, insurance, emergency crews and first aid, equipment for timing and holding the race, it all adds up.

To be blunt, everyone should quit whining about a $3 fee, if you don't like it register via snail-mail and pay your postage.

Racing isn't cheap, no one ever said it was, and with all the road blocks that promoters have to face now, the costs keep climbing. Everyone demands the fastest result posting, smooth events, lots of ammenties, no wait to take a crap at a porta-poty, parking galore so everyone can put up their tents, the list goes on. Every part of hosting a race costs money, now yes they could put together a race that had everyone shuttle their own butt to the top, use a stopwatch, no course markings, post results weeks after the event, tell you to use a tree to take a leak and leave it at that, but just think of the whining then!

Be thankful you have races still, relax and enjoy it.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
mplutodh1 said:
Unfortunately it costs money to let users register online. ....blah.... It is a service they offer to the racer ...blah.... but realize that a website requires: hosting, domain, developers time to setup the registration, payment gateways, security measures to make sure your transaction is safe.
Wow?
Seems like the cost of doing business to me?
But whatever, to each their own.
I do have an idea of what it takes and even after that I still feel that late fees are lame? Considering that the majority of racers do register on site, it seems like they are taxing you for racing?
As for the $2.75, its not the money, but the principle.
From your response I gather you are starting to enjoy all the fun aspects of promoting an event?

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Yeah it could be considered a cost of doing business. But again, its not like Round & Round are the only ones doing this. Just theirs is shown as a processing fee and not built into the cost. They very well could have just raised prices for the season and included that in the price. Races that use Active.com have a fee built into it, some choose to include it, others choose to leave it as a processing fee.

All I am trying to say is the cost is going to be there, hosting a race really isn't a very lucrative business. Especially at the standards the racers set in todays age. Although entry fees have gone up over the year, they haven't really increased with the expenses to hosting races. Why pass on a $3 increase over the whole board when not everyone uses the service? Makes no sense but its really the only way to make the online registration worth it, cost/time wise online registration isn't much of a benefit to the company. They could just have you all register on site or mail it in, cheaper for them and if done properly it might even be easier.

Enough rambling, just trying to say that I really don't think its worth more complaining in a sport that has had a lot of the fun taken out of it for a lot of people because of complaining and whining.

Haha, sounds funny but I guess whenever I get into discussions like this my goal is to try and show people that it's not worth it anymore to bitch and moan about stuff, take a step back and look at why you started to ride in the first place, what made you want to race, the feeling you got when you cleaned a section on the course that you had trouble with all weekend. It's a hell of a lot more fun to think about that stuff than it is to think about a $3 increase to participate in a sport you love.

As for enjoying all the fun aspects of promoting an event: To be honest, I am really enjoying it, there are obviously headaches and hurdles to overcome but as corny as it sounds I am treating it like I would a race course, each obstacle we just keep hitting and hitting until we clean it and move onto the next. I am working with an amazing group of people to make our dream a reality. I am not going to let a permit problem or logistical glitch get me all upset or stressed out, its not worth it. We will pull it off and are having a great time doing it!

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
I hope you guys have a great race. Its really tough to do outside of the series races. I have been to two independent races the "Over the Top" in Olympia and the Beezley Burn. Nice races but not enough racers. You guys will have DH which should bring in a crowd.

The Indie Series eliminated the $10 late fee which WIMS always has and that was kind of nice. Schweitzer is another deal thats $105 or $110 to race expert-no day license.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
sbstianfreeride said:
hey guys i have a question.

For who and what? Normally one posts a question when they have it rather than stating they have one.................................................................. :thumb:

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Borregokid said:
I hope you guys have a great race. Its really tough to do outside of the series races. I have been to two independent races the "Over the Top" in Olympia and the Beezley Burn. Nice races but not enough racers. You guys will have DH which should bring in a crowd.

The Indie Series eliminated the $10 late fee which WIMS always has and that was kind of nice. Schweitzer is another deal thats $105 or $110 to race expert-no day license.

Well, its sad but why not this year? What series really? I mean unfortunately the WIM series isn't much of a series, Indie is XC only and BC Cup is well... one race short now and still who knows how it will go. Why not add a race to the area? I don't think we will have much of a problem drawing racers, and who knows what is in store for next year ;) :evil: :D

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
The last three years I payed for a day license to run Expert. This year they asked me for $60 for a yearly to race expert. When I asked why they told me that's the way it's always been. So I guess they are just now starting to pay attention? No wonder they have to cut back on the DH series. I suppose I should consider myselft lucky for racing at a discount the last few seasons?