Quantcast

how much do pros make?

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
I believe Shaun Palmer has had the biggest single contract in MTB history, something like 300k a year from Specialized in the late 90s.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
At a normal job $300k a year you will clear after taxes, and insurance, about $20k per month.
That is WAY more than enough to live in a phat house even in So. Cal.
A million dollar mortgage is about $10k per month. You telling me the other $10k isn't enough to live off of?

Considering with comp winnings you take whole amount, and pay taxes later the situation could be even better as deductions could leave these guys with even more money..
The average white collar worker making $300k a year will probably make at least $300k a year for the rest of his career. With that kind of fiancial security, you could take loans for million dollar homes to all kinds of cool toys.

If any rider is lucky enough to make $300k in one year, he better put that into the bank because there is no guarantee he will make $300k the next year.

May 30, 2005
A$$pen
The average white collar worker making $300k a year will probably make at least $300k a year for the rest of his career. With that kind of fianancial security, you could take loans for million dollar homes to all kinds of cool toys.

If any rider is lucky enough to make $300k in one year, he better put that into the bank because there is no guarantee he will make $300k the next year.
Earning 300k means taking home 150k. Invest 50 k a year and you'e pulling in way more than that 150k/year in the long run.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
In america, the stunt/freestlye side of sports will usually make more.

Who do you think makes more? Someone like Travis Pistrana(sp?) who will pull double backflips or the guy who just won the national championships?

I am not sure your correct on this one. I am pretty sure Ricky Carmichal and James Stewart make more than Pastrana. If Pastrana makes close, it is because he owns a portion of the film studio that does the Nitro Circus videos.

Ricky makes enough though since he is planning on skipping the 3rd round of the Monster Energy Triple crown even if he wins Red Bud this weekend. If you win all three races, it's a $100,000 bonus check. He said he didn't need the money so he is fully retired after this weekend's race at Redbud. He might race the Motocross de Nations in September. But otherwise, off to stock cars.

As far as DH racers, most don't make squat. Except after they retire and become trainers for big name Pro MX racers.

Frorider1

Monkey
Apr 28, 2006
I am not sure your correct on this one. I am pretty sure Ricky Carmichal and James Stewart make more than Pastrana. If Pastrana makes close, it is because he owns a portion of the film studio that does the Nitro Circus videos.

Ricky makes enough though since he is planning on skipping the 3rd round of the Monster Energy Triple crown even if he wins Red Bud this weekend. If you win all three races, it's a $100,000 bonus check. He said he didn't need the money so he is fully retired after this weekend's race at Redbud. He might race the Motocross de Nations in September. But otherwise, off to stock cars.

As far as DH racers, most don't make squat. Except after they retire and become trainers for big name Pro MX racers.

Nitro circus makes no money, and pastrana only gets 10% of whatever they scrap together. He ruined a 1 million dollar contract f'ing around with nitro circus, and now hes pulling in cash from comps and sponsorships.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Hey, I'm more in favor of bringing back DJs, but the X-Games marketing gurus (and probably event attendance/TV ratings) says otherwise... :(
True. My bad, I thought you were including yourself in the "no one wants to see dudes on little bikes" comment.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
Both Ricky and Bubba pull in a bit more then Travis. Travis spends most of his time these days racing rally cars, hoping to make to make it in the big league of the WRC.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Nitro circus makes no money, and pastrana only gets 10% of whatever they scrap together. He ruined a 1 million dollar contract f'ing around with nitro circus, and now hes pulling in cash from comps and sponsorships.

That's what I thought, thank you for clarifing. As I said above, I am pretty sure RC and Bubba make more. RC is rummored to be in the 20-30M range.

Your not Jim, are you?

IVCrider

Chimp
Jun 24, 2006
In Traffic
rc makes 10-12 million per year tops, and that is because he is the best there is. I would expect James Stewart to make just under him. But any guy that isn't on a factory ride, or on top of the podiums makes almost nothing.

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
With all the other Tards!!
Look if you want to make $$$$ don't be a pro DH'er.

I'm pretty sure Carlin Dunne made close to around $150,000. in one year. The year he did that huge 40foot drop and stuff. But that was one year. He's off Kona and I really don't know what he's doing now.

So it's there and gone in a flash!!

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
The average white collar worker making $300k a year will probably make at least $300k a year for the rest of his career. With that kind of fiancial security, you could take loans for million dollar homes to all kinds of cool toys.

Theres not alot of Job Security out there these days.

Frorider1

Monkey
Apr 28, 2006
That's what I thought, thank you for clarifing. As I said above, I am pretty sure RC and Bubba make more. RC is rummored to be in the 20-30M range.

Your not Jim, are you?

Nope, but i spend some time with special greg riding in the the foam pit, so i get some inside scoop on whats happening.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I believe Shaun Palmer has had the biggest single contract in MTB history, something like 300k a year from Specialized in the late 90s.
Palmer got $200K for 1 season only! You know what he bought with it???
Stocks,
Property
Gold,
No a MOTORHOME, or converted bus :poster_oops: !
Having a house with a $187,000 mortgage would be a dream. $1100 a month is my rent. But racing DH will not bring good pay that is for sure.

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
holy crap...is robbie bourdon a midget or what!!..i always thought his bikes looked way too big for him in the disorder videos