Quantcast

How much do you spend on gas each month?

$$ for gas each month?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Well.... in all reality "I'm" not the one paying for the gas (I'm a bit spoiled at times, lol), however...

I got an '84 S10 Blazer. Usually fill up every 1-3 weeks, gets probably 13-17mpg and with Premium Octane fuel and a 17ish gal. tank I'd say probably $25-75 depending on how much I drive.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Me: Honda Accord Coupe
MPG: 29
Commute to jobs: 50 mile round trip
Around town: 0 miles (bike commuter)
Weekly Trips to Gas Station: 1
Cost: $30

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
El Jefe said:
I spend about $150-175 per week on gas. I have a Dodge Dakota truck and a Ford Expedition. Yes, $600-700 per month on gas. Ouch.
ok, you are the winner here so far. what has you driving so much?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
A month between $400-$500, 2001 Full size Chevy Z71, Wife-2002 Denali about $200-$250 a month. And I don't complain about the $, It's the pump shutting off at $50 DAMN IT!!!!!!!!! :blah:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
COmtbiker12 said:
Well.... in all reality "I'm" not the one paying for the gas (I'm a bit spoiled at times, lol), however...

I got an '84 S10 Blazer. Usually fill up every 1-3 weeks, gets probably 13-17mpg and with Premium Octane fuel and a 17ish gal. tank I'd say probably $25-75 depending on how much I drive.
just curious why you would need high octane gas for that vehicle?

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
About $40/month for me with a V6 Tacoma and a 6 mile commute. I'd bike but it's a little dangerous. A future job change will have me riding to work a lot more. My wife probably spends another $50/month with a Sentra and little longer commute.

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
Were between 400 - 500 a month with a 96 explorer and a 03 expedition (that things sucks gas). That's in NH were gas is a little less I can't imagine CA.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
narlus said:
just curious why you would need high octane gas for that vehicle?
I dunno. My car was acting really weird a few months ago and so I started using it then, and its been driving a lot better. I'll probably start weining it off of it though. :p

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
COmtbiker12 said:
I dunno. My car was acting really weird a few months ago and so I started using it then, and its been driving a lot better. I'll probably start weining it off of it though. :p
unless "really weird" = knocking then high octane won't do jack, besides cost more and lower your mileage a bit.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Toshi said:
unless "really weird" = knocking then high octane won't do jack, besides cost more and lower your mileage a bit.
It is conceivable, that on a vehicle that old, that the combustion chamber has lots of crap and deposits in it. Thus making it smaller and messing with the compression ratio. So running premium can make a difference.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Between the husbad and I....a lot! He's got a '96 Dodge Ram 4x4 (about 16mpg) and I have an '05 Chevy Equinox (about 22mpg). My commute is long (34 miles each way). Add that to biking trips, snowmobiling and other crap that comes up and we're well over the $300 mark each month (Hell, Sq-Earl fills up once a week for $50+).

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I only fill up about once a month.. sometimes twice depending how busy the weekend is. I ride my bike to work and for most errands, My car sits in front of my house for the most part. Usually i take it out on the weekends.. to get to a Mountain bike spot, or camping/hiking.. whatever. I Have a Jeep Grand cherokee v8.. so it would be very expensive to fillup if I used it everyday

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
$0 ... no excuse to drive in a small town surrounded by trail.

... and maybe something to do with just getting my licence back. :devil:
Was hoping to pick up a beater bike hauling rig, but by the looks of this thread, I'd be better off getting a civic with a rack. :(

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
I have a 45 min. commute each way. I get 320 miles per tank so i fill up twice per week. Thats $35 per fill up so $70 a week. Thats in a 2003 Nissan Frontier 4x4 i get around 19-20 mpg. I do alot if interstate driving but during the commute home i sit in traffic for about 15 min. each day.

Good lord...30,000 miles a year @ 320mi per tank = $3200 a year in gas.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
For about 3000 miles of driving in April, I spent about $158 for diesel to feed my TDI. Some of it for work, so I got back $36. :dancing:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Depends if I take any long trips. Normally just fill up every other week or so. '04 WRX wagon, get 20-30mpg depending on how hard I drive. Tack on an extra $25 if I take a long trip.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
92 nissan 4x4 V6 with 230k = beat old truck. (in 7 years ive put in 184k miles on the truck.... my current commute is the shortest ive had in a few years....)

mpg? not much, im too lazy to check, or not smart enough to check... you pick. :)

i drive about 80 miles a day during the week and figure i put in about 10 bucks of gas a day at this point, used to be 5, then was 8.... I dont always "fillerup" since im either real late, or real broke..... so i trickle fill. maybe put in 20-30 at a time max.

also, on the weekends i generally go somewhere in the 120-200 mile range trip, but the longer trips are done in my wifes minivan.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Between my wife and I, about $400 a month. My commute is about 12 miles round trip and my wife's is closer to 35 miles round trip, but I shuttle DH runs at least 5 times a month and that drinks the fuel. I hate to start asking for shuttle fuel money, but times are a changing. :(

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
MMike said:
It is conceivable, that on a vehicle that old, that the combustion chamber has lots of crap and deposits in it. Thus making it smaller and messing with the compression ratio. So running premium can make a difference.
and wouldn't that be manifested as "knocking" as per my above post? :think:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
^ werd,

"Knocking, or more correctly, pinging is not good for the engine. It will burn holes in the tops of the pistons. I have seen a piston burnt so bad, it looked like someone just cut the whole top of the piston off with a torch. Once in a while will not cause any lasting damage, it's the steady knocking or pinging that causes the damage. You'll know when the piston burns through when you lose that cylinder. You'll also lose power and the engine will start shaking and smoking."

Knocking you will definitely notice however pinging can be much less noticeable especially with the radio on loud. Unless a car is doing either of those things the gas you are running is fine. I have to run premium in my truck, even with premium it will ping lightly on occasion. I just back of the throttle and it stops instantly. I really need to get a fuel upgrade kit from URD for my supercharger but that's like $800.

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
Between the wife and I we spend about $260/mo on gas.

05 Subaru Outback 2.5i ~ 25 mpg
00 Toyota Camry V6 ~ 27 mpg

We ditched the fuel hogging SUV and Chrysler Sebring convertible last summer and saved about $100 a month then. Now, that savings would be $150 or more per month.

We both drive about 30 miles round trip to work and drive all over the place along the Wasatch Front. I think we're doing pretty well actually...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Toshi said:
have any of you considered moving closer to where you work? or living on the train line? or are jobs too transitory these days to even float that idea...

:dead:

i vow to never regularly commute for more than 30 minutes. <-- we'll see how long i last.
This is a little embarassing for me, since I ran my mouth about wasting gas. I live near the train lines for my both of my jobs. However, while I do not mind a long commute in evening, my morning commute by train is more than twice as long as driving (from 30 minutes to a hour fifteen).

I catch a lot of crap at the bike shop when bike commuters find out I drive. I will take the train on the heavy traffic days, like Friday afternoon. But I am not disciplined enough to wake up an extra hour early to make the train every day.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
sanjuro said:
This is a little embarassing for me, since I ran my mouth about wasting gas.
Indeed. :p
I live near the train lines for my both of my jobs. However, while I do not mind a long commute in evening, my morning commute by train is more than twice as long as driving (from 30 minutes to a hour fifteen).
Even worse.

I catch a lot of crap at the bike shop when bike commuters find out I drive. I will take the train on the heavy traffic days, like Friday afternoon. But I am not discipline enough to wake up an extra hour early to make the train every day.
Ah, what the hell. It's only the destruction of the planet. :rolleyes: Hypocrisy, thy name is sanjuro. ;)

BTW - I'm just givin' ya a hard time. I commute with my car when I could ride, I drive a 25mpg vehicle when I could have a 47mpg vehicle.....

-S.S.-

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
sanjuro said:
This is a little embarassing for me, since I ran my mouth about wasting gas. I live near the train lines for my both of my jobs. However, while I do not mind a long commute in evening, my morning commute by train is more than twice as long as driving (from 30 minutes to a hour fifteen).

I catch a lot of crap at the bike shop when bike commuters find out I drive. I will take the train on the heavy traffic days, like Friday afternoon. But I am not disciplined enough to wake up an extra hour early to make the train every day.
but in 30 minutes of driving you can do nothing except zone out. in 1:15 on caltrain you can sleep, read a book, contemplate your knuckles, write poetry, etc.

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
I drive a Mazda 3 hatchback. I think my mpg is 25/31 but i haven't judged it in awhile and the car isn't brand spanking new anymore.

I work about 8 miles from work & it's all back roads... when the weather is nice I like to ride 4 times a week to work. I haven't gotten gas in two weeks now... haha.

The gf makes up for it though. Driving to Boston from NJ every other weekend.

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
mmmmm oil!

i commute over 50 miles each day. sucks but it's what i have to do right now. i ride my bike for everything else...just not getting to school.