Quantcast

How much do you spend on gas each month?

$$ for gas each month?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GeoffW

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
For a single guy, my fuel bills suck. I drive 30 miles each way to work every day. On the plus side I now carpool with 2 others. Driving either my 98 Cherokee with the 4" Lift, 31's, and Accurate power 4.6 L stroker, enjoying watching the gauge move while accomplishing 13-15 mpg on good days with no headwind. On the other side of the coin, is my 04 Ram 2500 w/Cummins power (~435 horse at the rear wheels) that gets about 16 mpg. Gas bill permonth is likely in the $500 range. Like i said, alot for a single guy

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Five said:
Good to see another TDI owner. :D
Greetings! :)

I'm looking to turn 50K early next week. Less than two years. It wasn't so bad when I lived with my g/f (40 mile round trip), but now I'm living at my house and it's about 100 miles a day. But we get along better now, so what can you do... :dead:

Done any mods to your car? I upgraded to BBS RX II wheels and have a coolant heater and SpeedTuning 1-pot waiting for installation. I basically killed the front struts during the first week I had the car so I full Shine kit will probably happen eventually. All service has been DIY, and in a year or so I'll buy the tools to replace the timing belt.

Oh yeah... and I added a Mk III "TDI" grill badge. :sneaky:

Forgot to mention... I haven't filled my van since December, but when I do it's about $75 and only lasts about 500 miles... :help:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
SkaredShtles said:
Indeed. :p

Even worse.

Ah, what the hell. It's only the destruction of the planet. :rolleyes: Hypocrisy, thy name is sanjuro. ;)

BTW - I'm just givin' ya a hard time. I commute with my car when I could ride, I drive a 25mpg vehicle when I could have a 47mpg vehicle.....

-S.S.-
I deserve a hard time. My thing is I should ride back from work (25 miles). The problem is that I found a trail system near my new job called Water Dog. I have been going there 4 times a week.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Toshi said:
but in 30 minutes of driving you can do nothing except zone out. in 1:15 on caltrain you can sleep, read a book, contemplate your knuckles, write poetry, etc.
I am doing something when I driving: racing other cars!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The real nuisance is that I live near the 22nd Street station, but because the Caltrain bike car fills up in the morning, I need to ride to 4th Street Station, the start of the line.

I don't mind the distance (about 6 miles), but then my commute on Caltrain goes from 75 minutes to almost two hours.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
sanjuro said:
The real nuisance is that I live near the 22nd Street station, but because the Caltrain bike car fills up in the morning, I need to ride to 4th Street Station, the start of the line.

I don't mind the distance (about 6 miles), but then my commute on Caltrain goes from 75 minutes to almost two hours.
<shrug>

Nobody said that saving the planet was going to be easy........... ;)

-S.S.-

VA2SLOride

Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
No car. Walk to work. Bike eveywhere else. The money that I'd spend on my gas goes to bikes, tuning my liver into swiss cheese, and filling up my GF's tank about twice a month.

I know there's a joke in there somewhere about 'filling up my girlfriend's tank,' and 'twice a month' on top of that, but I'll have to think about the setup and delivery......damn it if that ain't a punchline, though.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
VA2SLOride said:
No car. Walk to work. Bike eveywhere else. The money that I'd spend on my gas goes to bikes, tuning my liver into swiss cheese, and filling up my GF's tank about twice a month.

I know there's a joke in there somewhere about 'filling up my girlfriend's tank,' and 'twice a month' on top of that, but I'll have to think about the setup and delivery......damn it if that ain't a punchline, though.
:D that is quite the punchline...

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
$100-$125/month...I bike to work when I can, fill-up once a week (Honda Civic HX, 9-11gallons per fill-up = $25/weekish at the current prices). Driving either to Canada (220 miles roundtrip approx) every weekend or all over the state adds up, plus a weekly trip to Mom's place (100 miles roundtrip). I'm averaging about 400 miles per tank right now.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Jr_Bullit said:
$100-$125/month...I bike to work when I can, fill-up once a week (Honda Civic HX, 9-11gallons per fill-up = $25/weekish at the current prices). Driving either to Canada (220 miles roundtrip approx) every weekend or all over the state adds up, plus a weekly trip to Mom's place (100 miles roundtrip). I'm averaging about 400 miles per tank right now.
but you're moving to canada without your cat, no? good car choice: wasn't that one of the most efficient cars made at the time? isn't it the one with the cvt?

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Toshi said:
but you're moving to canada without your cat, no? good car choice: wasn't that one of the most efficient cars made at the time? isn't it the one with the cvt?
Yep - it's the one with the CVT - only thing is, some of them came off the line with a few "defects". Honda's been pretty good about fixing those over time...

And...you infer lots my friend from my change of life thread in the PNW forum. ;)

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Toshi said:
and what do you drive? and do you complain about it (a la Brian HCM #1)? :D

me: '96 pathfinder, 4wd, 31"s ==> 16-18 mpg :dead: , but i don't drive much so end up spending $90-125 at least judging from the past few months. i'm guessing that ski season trips will balance out with bike season trips...
Nice. I have a '95. Bulletproof, but it is a guzzler. I've gotten good at pushing 18mpg though. Last summer I drove my mom's '96 Volvo 850 GLT to Snowshoe. 1,500 miles total. Ageraged 25mpg+ for the trip. 30mpg when it was flat. And that was with the cruise set to 80-85. Kinda makes me want a wagon, but I love my truck!

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
Under 50 bucks in my Legacy, casue I drive my work truck pretty much everywhere whenever I can. :D

Work truck, I shudder to thing how much I'd be paying if I owned it. :eek: The thing drinks about 240 litres (60 odd US gallons) a week on the commute and round the mine site.

Luckily, I fill it up at the site bowser and pay zero. :blah:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
My older brother is thinking of buying a 55 gallon drum of C16 fuel for his weekend car. $325.00.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:
Oh. I thought you were going to NYC *to* eat in a fancy joint. :D

-S.S.-

actually we held out for dinner until Nyack, where i had a very tasty black and white sesame-seed encrusted ahi steak, seared. tasty.

had an outrageous dinner tonight, but that's a thread for the food forum.

:dancing: