Quantcast

How much for exaust work?? Ballpark

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
how much should a new catillitic?? converter cost at a garage installed?
I'm getting my inspection done on my 96 ford ranger 4cylinder they quoted me like 600 for everything. seems steep...

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
how much should a new catillitic?? converter cost at a garage installed?
I'm getting my inspection done on my 96 ford ranger 4cylinder they quoted me like 600 for everything. seems steep...

That is steep. You can buy your own cat off Ebay for about $150 and it takes about 1/2 hour to install. The question is how do you know you really need one? Oh and it's exhaust and catalytic:D

wreckedrex

Monkey
Feb 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
Ouch, I paid ~$160 OTD for a new cat installed in my '93 yota pickup about a month ago. That was an aftermarket cat of course, a new OEM part looked to be about $700 +labor.

Sep 1, 2007
16 powers st BKLN NY
summit racing (.com) and Jegs have aftermarket cats and catback systems pre-mandrel bent that you can install without a welder. It should set you back about 2 bills and a sixpack to bribe your buddy to help.
Plus and the cleaning efficiency of the ceramic catalytic is amazing compared to stock if you have emissions testing in your neck of the woods.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Anywhere from $99 to $800 depending on what you want done. I had an all new 2.25" mandrel bent system from the header to the tip with high flow cat done for $380. Cat was made by Magnaflow, same as the muffler I had them use.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Your 1996 ford ranger is an OBDII certified vehicle. It requires a TWC (Three Way Catalyst) which consists of a Platinum layer, Palladium layer, and a rhodium layer. If you install a 2 way catalyst, passing the smog inspection will become more difficult as the universal 2 way catalyst is not as efficient at reducing NOx emissions as the TWC. Good luck though.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
thanks my room mate had similar thoughts.. yea its rusted to ****. ill look around for a catalytic. gonna check it out tommorrow afternoon.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
damn, i just bought a slightly used 3" exhaust for my car and i paid 150...but then again the guy that sold it to me is another wrx owner, so he installed it for free

spam: btw if anyone on here needs a stock exhaust for a 2003 subaru wrx, i'll probably be selling mine here soon

edit: my suggestion though is find a friend that knows some about cars, or get a repair manual for your car, and do it yourself...when i got mine installed i watch him put it on, and it didn't seem that hard.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
score one for the environment!
Well that's one of the perks of living in the rural south. There are more than enough trees around to suck it all up, and I don't have to pay the lame emissions tax.
Nothing but a moneygrab anyways.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
I'm going to get a look at it today. I guess there is a hole in the cat. But my roomate is gonna explain it all to me. He said we might be able to jb weld it depending on the size of the hole.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
well if you need a new cat make sure you request the old one.... bring it to the scrap yard and you will get about $100 for it. most shops say they will take care of it, or dispose of it for free for you... they are just making that money.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah there's like platinum or some other precious metals in catalytics so trade in the old one for cash. There's been rumors of them being stolen and turned in for a profit. Got to laugh at anybody who actually expends the effort to remove one of those rusted on POS's...

Anyways, you should be able to pick up a cat for $100-$200, perhaps even on that is custom fit for your car. Then it's about $100 to weld it in, maybe a little more. The cat is usually held on by two or three bolts though, so if you can cut/remove those bolts and can get a matching cat, you can install it yourself. I've done it several times.

A final (cheeseball) option is to plug or cover the hole with muffler tape. Muffler tape lasts about 15 miles further than the drive to your inspection, but it may pass since the hole is covered. I did this on my yeti conquest and it passed...the whole tailpipe fell off a week later. This was in NY though.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
actually in northern vt a lot of people cars trucks suv have been hit at park and rides and robbed of the cats for $$. just like man hole covers.

wreckedrex

Monkey
Feb 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
yeah there's like platinum or some other precious metals in catalytics so trade in the old one for cash. There's been rumors of them being stolen and turned in for a profit. Got to laugh at anybody who actually expends the effort to remove one of those rusted on POS's...
The cat that was stolen out from underneath my pickup and the one that was stolen out from underneath my buddies more or less identical pickup are supposedly worth ~$120 ea. for scrap. Not bad for 30 seconds worth of work with a sawzall... A universal carsound/magnaflow cat is going to run ~$90 and it's going to need to be welded in.