Quantcast

How Much hurt is too much

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Hehe just cause i can i wanted to compare battle wounds.

i have decided that crashing ont eh road bike at 35 mph is by far worse than any crash on teh DH bike ever........ I am road rashed from ankle to neck atm and noone even saw me sliding across the road Oh its all good...........What doesnt kill you makes you stronger right?

Comeone share some crash stories :cool:
________
Claudette

Last edited:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I feel safer on my DH bike than i do out on the road anyday.......guess it depends on the level of traffic in your area.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Yeah, i feel a lot safer riding my local DH trails, than I ever would riding a bike in Los Angeles traffic. Falling on rocks hurts, but getting hit by a car will ruin your day...

sixsixtysix

Monkey
Mar 6, 2005
Hell
The beginning of Sept. I was at Angelfire, coming out of the WC course out onto the slope running under the Chile Express where you pick up speed before diving into the last section of the trail. Doing about 45mph and all I heard was a loud "pop". The pop was my front tire and before I even knew what was going on it was like a trainwreck. Front of the bike went to the left and I went over the bars, first impact was my visor which promptly snapped clean off, bounced off my head and did either 2 or 3 more full on rag doll cartwheels down the slope before sliding another 15-20ft to a stop. Tore all 3 of the straps clean of my left shinpad, totally roadrashed that leg from mid thigh to the ankle, refractured 3 ribs on my left side, even with my assault pressure suit. Roadrashed my right arm from above the elbow to the wrist to the point where I needed a scrub brush to get the little rocks out. To top it off I got up and went to pick up the pieces which looked like a yard sale scattered accross the slope and realized my left thumb was dislocated and was pointing backwards towards my wrist. Thats when I decided that it was time to sit for a few minutes until the adrenaline wore off and the hurt set in. I would have taken a fall actually on the WC course rather than where I did on the slope anyday, at least then there would be something like trees and bushes to stop a tumbling body. And by the way, lets here it for Kenda DH tubes! :thumb:

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
All of this happened in one day and I felt like an idiot:

I brake way more than I should. I was at the end of the run right next to the lift and I was adjusting my seat. So I put my legs over the back tire to hold the bike steady. And I happened to get my leg right on the rotor. It was pretty hot and now I have a nice burn.

I just shook that off and got on the lift. So the next run down I slammed my hand square into a tree and flew over the bars. This Kinda sucked and I ripped the burn open on a ziptie while I fell.

My third run down wasn't too great either. I am not sure what I did (probably something stupid) but I ended up over the bars into a bunch of rocks. I landed on my head flopped and rolled for a few feet and eventually landing on my feet with my back stinging. I rode the rest of the way down and noticed I was bleeding pretty bad from my elbow. So, I went and got bandaged up and had some pebbles pulled out of my arm (which was uncomfortable at best).

Everything was OK for a few more runs. Then my last run I ended up over the bars hugging a tree. That was pretty painful and to make it worse I landed on my bike.

As of now I am going to a chiropractor because of landing on my back. I am glad that it isn't more serious and can be fixed. But, now I have a cool Hayes rotor imprint on my leg!

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
OK, I'll play.

Newbie rider (me) meets slick log on inocuous NJ trail...

I would have sailed nicely over the bars if my baggy shorts hadn't got caught on the handlebars and brought me back. My left inner thigh drove the handlebar into the ground about 4 inches and I ended up with a hematoma the size of my fist.

But I was back on the bike in 4 days. :D

While that wasn't the worst mishap, it was the most colorful.

-sunny

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
popped off a lip and had not enough rebound damping dialed in on my rear shock, sailed up into the air feet came off, i eneded up superman style, slam down with my chest on the seat, compressed ribcage and a few broken ribs, then the bike bounced me again and i ended up popping a hope pro lever out on my head. that was an interesting day, and then some faggot XC riders had the cheek to laugh at me while im lying there bleeding from the head unable to breath, tossers

sn0wboarder

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
NJ
I collapsed my lungs two times this summer. First time I collapsed both of them at Diablo on lower dominion. Then about 2 months later I recollapsed my right lung at the Vermont NCS on the little step down or whatever you want to call it. My season is done.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
sunny said:
OK, I'll play.

Newbie rider (me) meets slick log on inocuous NJ trail...

I would have sailed nicely over the bars if my baggy shorts hadn't got caught on the handlebars and brought me back. My left inner thigh drove the handlebar into the ground about 4 inches and I ended up with a hematoma the size of my fist.

But I was back on the bike in 4 days. :D

While that wasn't the worst mishap, it was the most colorful.

-sunny
HOLY SH!T LAURA!

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
fractured my forearm--near the head of the radius bone, just below the elbow. happened 3 weeks ago and i'm thinking of doing a mellow ride this weekend. help talk some sense into me.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
frorider said:
fractured my forearm--near the head of the radius bone, just below the elbow. happened 3 weeks ago and i'm thinking of doing a mellow ride this weekend. help talk some sense into me.
ride on the curbs (practice the skinnies)
practice trackstanding
see how long you can sit on the saddle, one foot on a pedal, other on the front tire, and balance
go to the gym and do squats/lunges/crunches

As for your ride...
Your body will try to compensate for the injured arm, and all of your reactions will be affected... If you take another fall for any of the stupid reasons that people fall, you will be out longer. Possibly much longer. It's not that you couldn't ride, it's that the cost might not make it worth it.

It's only 2 more weeks. Hang in there. We've all (or almost all) been there.

cantaffordit

Chimp
Sep 5, 2005
ahahah ive got the worst by far.... i guess it was just my time to be broken but i was just riding around doing a little freeride at a park (no not a skate park.... a park with a swingset) and im up on a hill and somehow i managed to trip (while im still on the bike) and i fall backwards down this little hill and drum roll......i snap my collar bone and it puts me out for 6 weeks. i mean the hill was so small and i snapped it not like a fracture but a clean snap in half..... i think i win for the wierdest and stuipedest break.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
I did a flying endo off of a dh jump and broke my leg in 2 places, completely tore my ankle and tore the tendon going to the big toe. And that was a good outcome... My head hit first and my body completly bent in half in the direction it isn't supposed to bend. Buddy there thought for sure I had broken my spine. Sure do feel lucky about that one..

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Wow, crash stories on this site are always rather incredible. I've never broken a bone riding (that I know of, anyway) or playing football (did that for 9 years), so I like to think I'm pretty durable.

I had 2 good crashes this season, though. First one was at the Mt Snow NCS. Not really sure what happened, just hit the ground on one of the rock faces at the top. Got a nice sized bruise on my left knee above the pads I had on and my right hand was all bruised up. I was back riding in about 5-6 days.
Next, I went over the bars on deciet at Diablo. Flew pretty far and landed mostly on my head. My right leg didn't come out of the pedal until pretty late in-flight. My whole right leg went numb in the air and stayed like that for some time on the ground- after that it was the worst pain ever. I didn't move at all for about 5 minutes. Didn't slide myself off the trail for a little longer and then (barely) walked to the access road to get picked up. I had a lot of damage to the bursa in my left knee (still don't have full range of motion, almost a month later) and a severely strained right leg and back (back still bothers me). Oh, and I still don't have full motion back in my right hand from Mt Snow.

I was at the local skate park, and had a 3' kicker ramp setup to jump to the top of the roller(a ramp with a rollover top instead of a lip, for sk8 brds to roll-in), for a smooth landing... My bike was off to warranty, so I was using a friends BMX. I shot around the bowl to get the speed, and was going at the jump, when I looked up to see this stupid ass kid standing(w/his bike) rite in the path(at the top)!!! So I think to just ride out around the jump, and up the roller... But by time I think of it, I am half way up the ramp, and I swirve off the side of it!!! My front wheel goes right into the lowwer(curved inward) part of the roller!!! I put my hands out to stop my self, but the impact is too much! My chin strikes the upper(curved outwards)part, and as my one hand slides forward, the right hand catches in a way that twists my arm 'till one bone folds over the other(sorry I don't kno' the names)!!! Next thing, I'm sitting there almost knocked-out, and this kid says "Your chin is dripping like a fauscet", And I'm like "yeah rite", then I get up to see the puddle!!! In the hospital, they said if I went through 1mm more flesh, they would have seen the bone, and gave me 2 internal(muscel)/6 external(skin) stitches!!! Plus a sling(no cast thank god), for six weeks!

I was going down a steep hill(road), coming from a ride at the college, and I went to go turn into this driveway too fast. Front wheel catches on the little 1" curb, while the back just slides on it(wash-out), and next thing I know, the bike is at 90 degrees to the direction I'm going, and it just stops, and throws me right over the bars! I come down, and smack my face on a steel storm grate, and with in thirty seconds I had this huge goose-egg on my forhead, that was scareing the hell out of me! I didn't know what it was, and thought I done something really serious! I was taken in ambulance, and the paremedics Exact words to the hospital-on-call(to give you an idea of the size), were: "The patien, appears to have an anurism, over the right eye, aproxximatly the size of a golf ball burried under the skin"!!! Later, they explain to me that it's not too serious, that it's just a busted blood vessle, filling a pocket in the flesh... Well that sounds pretty serious to me!!! Also, w/this I got a broken nose, and a $1000+ bill for the ride/visit(For which they offered me no assistence except for an ice pack)!!! GAWDAMMMITTTT!!!