Quantcast

how much is to much?

GPERKINS

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Timberlake
I got to thinking. How much is to much for us east coast racers! How much bike does a person really need for east coast downhill racing. I mean, even for snowshoe, a v10 just seems like major over kill. The v10 to me is a bike you go to colorado and shred, or overseas and what not.

So what bike would you guys say is the right amount of bike. Not super low, not super heavy, and not a massive amount of travel. Or if you disagree, state your reasoning. Lets turn this into a big discussion!

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Some of the race courses they were planning for Snowshoe got me thinking about racing my XC bike. Then they came up with the Lower Hareball course. My M1 was at home again. Big rocks and big drops. Stuff that would break a 5" travel bike.

Massanutten is deceptively tough on equipment as well. I like my 8" of travel and a heavy, stable bike under me.

S

seespotendo

Isn't it correct to say more rocks + more travel = most fun?

pumpkinator

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
maybe if you all rode road bicyles you would be able to understand the need for the second 'o' in toO.

nice bikes! i could use one of them in about fifteen years ago. :)

pumpkinator

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
maybe if you all rode road bicyles you would be able to understand the need for the second 'o' in toO.

nice bikes! i could use one of them in about fifteen years ago. :)
it'd prolly help that i spell 'bicycle' correctly when checking other's spelling, huh? crap.

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
THE BURG but missing BOSTON
6 to 7 is all you need around here. There is nothing on the east coast that a SMOOTH rider with a 6 or 7 inch bike can't clean. Too much travel and too many rocks = wheel in a hole and you over the bars.;) I've been riding a Remedy9 for the last year and love it. Pedals great and at 31 lbs. there is NO weight penalty.

Last edited:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I figure this is a good east coast bike, right?

Fo' rillo' though, MOST stuff around here can be ridden on a good 6" travel AM bike, and an 8" bike is usually not TOO much bike. Anything over that, too much.

mtwhore

Chimp
Jun 20, 2006
Harrisonburg
Wheel in a hole and your over the bars. Ive been sitting on the couch for a year and love it. and @ 197 lbs there is a weight penalty. (When ever I do decide to ride again). Yes. I do love my SNUGGIE!
Sheessh. some peaple

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
I always thought a maxlized ( meaning having a rear maxle) reign X that was DC capable would be pretty rocking. Uber fun for Snowshow trails.............and the shed

Picture reign X with maxle with a pair of WC boxers, full shadow XT and slx cranks.........