Quantcast

How much lift is too much lift?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I didn't say I didn't like it. There's plenty of cool people here, and there's lots of great info about the community and about new products, etc. But count the number of people who chimed in to say "yes" to the question "am I retarded for asking" without saying anything else.

Like I said, some people gave me great input, and they're right, it's probably too big, too silly. I asked because maybe there was the off chance that somebody had BTDT and liked it, or BTDT and hated it. Anyways, check out the ellsworth thread in the DH section for why I got the nick -monkey. This site is great when it's great, but it can get pretty dumb.

Yeah, i'm pretty retarded.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sandwich said:
I can see where you're coming from with the Karpiel BS, but if you put 2.5" tires on it and a super-t, you don't have a terrible bike.
Hahahaaaaa!!! No you wouldn't have a terrible bike, you would just have one that doesn't really make sense for what you will use it for.

Same thing with that truck.

But I kinda like "negativemonkey," that's pretty good.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Sandwich said:
Can I drop the truck by flipping the axles under the leaf springs? I thought it was a common trick to do the opposite with old jeeps, you remove the axle and install them underneath the springs, gaining 2" or so of lift. Could I do the opposite, and drop 2" or more? The body lift could be removed, which would immediately drop it 2-3".
I don't know much about the chevy drivetrain, but on some rigs, you'd have to cut and turn (rotate) the knuckles to keep the geometry correct. You might also have to get a shorter driveshaft, and possibly tweak the steering. Not sure if any of that will apply to you, but if it does, it'll get expensive in a hurry, so it's good to know ahead of time.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
maybe you could sell some stuff off of it, and buy a descent 2 - 3" lift. not sure how economical it would be for you, though.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
jacksonpt said:
I don't know much about the chevy drivetrain, but on some rigs, you'd have to cut and turn (rotate) the knuckles to keep the geometry correct. You might also have to get a shorter driveshaft, and possibly tweak the steering. Not sure if any of that will apply to you, but if it does, it'll get expensive in a hurry, so it's good to know ahead of time.
pretty much. not really the knuckles though. you would need to shim the axle or cut off the spring perches and reweld at a rotated location. as for the drive shafts they generally have to be lengthened not to mention the pitman arm up front will need to be of the "dropped" aftermarket variety. A dropped pitman arm actually moves in a tighter radius compounding strain on the steering box. Other issues encountered would be excessive transmission heat and axle wrap. but hey whatever.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Sandwich said:
He's including a front Dana 44 and rear 60, which I could sell if I didn't use.
you could sell those but your price would be based solely on the spline count of the axle shaft. i think there were two different spline counts for both of those axles over the years. you could certainly ebay the hell out of them though cause 44s and 60s are getting harder to find these days. you could probably get close to a grand for the pair.