Quantcast

How much money did you spend this last year in medical bills?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
My grand total (so far) for my shoulder being dislocated and also having surgery on it was:

$1,521.77

Thats with insurance. Without, it probably would have been 15k or so. That total is also without the cost of 3 months of physical therapy 2 times a week.

What about you guys? What did you do in 2007 and how much have you dropped on it?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
DON'T FVCK WITH ME T.H.!

I put that stuff out of my mind... if I start quantifying it I will be FUCT!

:busted:
(too damn much! as a matter of fact more than almost any other year!)

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I'm stressing about going to the doc to see about surgery on mine that keeps coming out. Ugh.
I would do it! when I had a chronic dislocation the surgery was the best thing that could have ever happened! :thumb: much better now! (if I wouldn't have busted the c-bone all would be good in the world)

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Broke my ankle. Emergency room, ortho x4, cast and 2 dozen xrays: $300

No, I'm not Canadian, I have decent insurance. If I didn't, we would be destitute by now.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I'm stressing about going to the doc to see about surgery on mine that keeps coming out. Ugh.
Seriously do it. It has made an amazing difference for me. After the first dislocation 2 years ago I wasnt able to sit with my arm up, lean on my arm in bed for more than a few min, sleep with my arm up over my head, etc. I just dealt with it.

After the surgery and physical therapy I can use it up to 97% now. SO nice. I was only off of work for a week and everything took about 3 months to heal up. It was done September 18th 2007 and I was riding again by Christmas.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
This pregnancy, birth, etc will cost us well over $7k. With insurance.

Actually that's a low estimate.

(EDIT: THIS YEAR, NOT LAST YEAR)

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Whatever my supplemental covered..$2K I think.

We can use our supplemental from work for anything medical related. I even got new reading glasses.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Damn, my daughter was $3500 7 years ago.

This last year was about $3000, most was due to out-of-plan visits for my son in California. Insurance only covers 75% after $2000 deductible, plus whatever I needed.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
wow, that's insane... what insurance do you have? What kinds of options were you allowed for pre-natal care and delivery?
I work for a hospital system that is self-insured, so it isn't a commercial plan. All of our pre-natal visits, ultra-sounds, etc. were covered in full. The $200 was our inpatient copay.

We didn't look into any alternative birthing centers, so I'm not sure if that would have cost more. We liked the idea if being in a hospital, with OR's and docs, should anything go wrong.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
insurance: $1300/yr?
copays, deductibles, 80/20, other junk: more than $2000.

ugh. echocardiography is expensive.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
rootcanal and 5 cavities from years of negelect.
$1950 with insurance.....

3 doctors visits with copay: $45
perscriptions: $75

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I work for a hospital system that is self-insured, so it isn't a commercial plan. All of our pre-natal visits, ultra-sounds, etc. were covered in full. The $200 was our inpatient copay.

We didn't look into any alternative birthing centers, so I'm not sure if that would have cost more. We liked the idea if being in a hospital, with OR's and docs, should anything go wrong.
While we're not as lucky as you, I feel we are lucky since our plan uses the brand new hospital near us that has full services, but also midwives who love doing it naturally.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Oh right, I forgot to add in my wisdom teeth being removed. That was another $1,700 after insurance.

Total (including dental work): $3,221.77

ugh.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Knocked a hole in my face, got some plastic surgery, prolly took 800 bucks outta my pocket. A couple years ago it would have been a $10 copay. Check the benefit package when you get that job offer from Xerox, kids.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've had a handfull of $15 copay dr visits and $15 prescription refills and I pay $35 a month for the benefit package. I would have probably only been out a few hundred if I paid everything out of pocket.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I wasn't even adding in the cost of having Sophie! :disgust1:

this current contract that we are under really killed us... our copays went up... we now pay a portion of the premiums, and if you go to the emergency room it is instantly $100 or $150 if you are not admitted! 10 bucks for every x-ray!

and I am off right now to get (what I hope is my last set of X-rays and my last Doc's visit for my C-Bone) :monkey:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
How does it suck?

Our co-pays will be $2-3000, I forget, but I'm pretty happy about it.
Our co-pays will most likely be twice that.

Just my kid's check up a few weeks ago was $150.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
While we're not as lucky as you, I feel we are lucky since our plan uses the brand new hospital near us that has full services, but also midwives who love doing it naturally.
My wife did it 100% natural (I could have used some drugs). Our friends had both of their babies at the same hospital using a midwife. The options were there.

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
Anyone have Aflac supplemental accident insurance to cover costs above and beyond what regular insurance doesn't cover?

My husband and I just got a quote for $45 a month for both of us and we're debating about whether it's worth it. (we both downhill/ski/snowboard)

Last year medical expenses - about $800, mostly dental and perscriptions.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I'm not sure what the final bill was for the kiddo's split chin was, but it was too much for twenty minutes of the doc's time and 5 stitches. Last bill I saw was $1500.