Quantcast

How much RAM do I need?

Aug 31, 2006
I typically run the following programs all at the same time:
Adobe CS2
- Photoshop (file sizes typically less than 50Mb)
- InDesign
- Illustrator
- Distiller
- Acrobat
QuarkXPress
Font Mgt. program
email program
web browser
plus MS Word, Excel, and/or Publisher on occassion

For both my XP and OSX machines. I'd rather avoid using virtual memory if possible.

Thanks!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I wouldn't go less than 2gb with os x and 50mb files. I generally work with Tiff files that size (16b raw conversions from a 1dmk2). 2gb seems like a sweet spot, as well as a zippy scratch disk.

Just remember that CS2 will run under rosetta if you have an intel machine, slowing it down some.

For all of those at once, i wouldn't go less than 4gb.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You run all of those programs concurrently? And you swap back and forth a lot?

I'd just go for the whole hog and do 4gb if I had that many fairly memory intensive programs running at the same time. RAM is fairly cheap - and that's a crap load of programs open at the same time. The Adobe CS2 suite would probably suck down a gb or so by itself.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

I'd just go for the whole hog and do 4gb if I had that many fairly memory intensive programs running at the same time. RAM is fairly cheap - and that's a crap load of programs open at the same time. The Adobe CS2 suite would probably suck down a gb or so by itself.
not when you need FB-Dimms it isn't. ugh

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Well, yeah. But at least you get a tax writeoff :p
I guess, i just cringe having to spend almost $300 for a gb of ram. what is this, 1982? :disgust:

BTW popped the side off of the pro yesterday. WOW. Now I know why it costs $3000. The insinde of the thing looks better structurally engineered than most cars, let alone computers. ridiculous.

Aug 31, 2006
I wonder if a 2nd physical hdd for the virtual for Photoshop and 2GB of memory...? The 2gb will also ready you for Vista... :D
I have two HDs. My startup+programs always has like40Gb space free.

I wouldn't go less than 2gb with os x and 50mb files.
Just remember that CS2 will run under rosetta if you have an intel machine, slowing it down some.
Ok, so 2Gb is the absolute minimum for a production machine. Would you say that for the WinXP machine as well?

Yup and yeah.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Windows XP seems to use about the same amount of ram as apps in OSX would. You will notice more of a bump in speed on the mac the more ram you get however due to the architecture.

Go with 4gb.