Quantcast

How much should I weigh?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I lost a pound today.

But I'm confused, I drank a gallon of water (five bigger water bottles) and ate a little food on my 3.5 hour ride.

Should I really weigh less after drinking that much?

How much loss is reasonable/expected?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You certainly could of lost that much in fluids if it was hot, but 1 lb of water is quite a bit less than one water bottle. Most scales are not repeatable within 1 lb anyway. Drinking a glass or two of water should get you back to where you were. Also consider that 1lb of fat = about 4000 Kcal. In theory you could have burnt off a half a pound or so of fat during that ride.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
In theory you could have burnt off a half a pound or so of fat during that ride.
I forgot about that. I think I consumed about 800 kcals and I probably used about 2500?

Now that I'm starting to pay attention to such stuff, should my goal be to replace water ounce for ounce? Should I have had another bottle of fluids?

I also put about 3/8 tblspoon morton lite salt in with my drink mix, so I'm sure I did at least a minimal job of replacing my electrolytes.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I lost a pound today.

But I'm confused, I drank a gallon of water (five bigger water bottles) and ate a little food on my 3.5 hour ride.

Should I really weigh less after drinking that much?

How much loss is reasonable/expected?

I usually lose around 4 or so pounds on a 4 hour summer ride, and that is after drinking eight or more big water bottles(24 oz x 8 = 1.5 gal).* I've lost up to eight pounds which is around 4% body weight and that is bad(cramps), and the reason I got the aqua rack.

*I plan my routes around gas stations.

edit -- yes, you should try to replace the water after your ride.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
On a hot day it can be impossible to replenish fluids as fast as you lose them. Most folks can only absorbed around 36oz per hour yet you can lose much more. The key is to continue to hydrate after the fact. If you are planning a really long ride on a hot day it would be smart to stop in a cool area and try to catch up on the hydration before getting back to it.

As far as electrolytes go table salt will take care of the sodium but you also sweat out potasium, magnesium and calcium. Eating a banana or two and taking a Tums is an easy way of taking care of some of the other salts.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
As far as electrolytes go table salt will take care of the sodium but you also sweat out potasium, magnesium and calcium. Eating a banana or two and taking a Tums is an easy way of taking care of some of the other salts.

The morton lite has both NaCl and KCl. I've been trying sea salt/lemon juice this year on my mountain bike rides. I can't handle sugary stuff at all.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Excretion of Sodium, Potassium, Magnesium and Iron in Human Sweat and the Relation of Each to Balance and Requirements
C. Frank Consolazio, LeRoy O. Matoush, Richard A. Nelson, Richard S. Harding and John E. Canham

U. S. Army Medical Research and Nutrition Laboratory, Fitzsimons General Hospital, Denver, Colorado

The results of this study show that a considerable quantity of sodium, potassium, magnesium and iron are lost in sweat of men during 16 consecutive days' exposure to environmental temperatures of 100°F. During a 7.5-hour collection period, the sweat excretions averaged 0.601 gm/hour for sodium, 0.125 gm/hour for potassium, 2.3 mg/hour for magnesium and 0.13 mg/hour for iron. Very small quantities of phosphorus are excreted in sweat, averaging between 0.45 to 0.81 mg/hour.

In the past, with the exception of sodium, very few investigators have recognized the fact that the mineral losses in sweat could be appreciable and as a result these losses have, all too frequently, been neglected in computing mineral balance. This could result in misinterpretation of the data, especially under conditions of profuse sweating. The total mineral loss should include the mineral loss in sweat. This in turn would help in estimating more realistically the minimal daily allowances of minerals.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
A simple test to find if you have become dehydrated, drink a 16 oz bottle of water, and you should pass it within about 20 minutes, if not you are underhydrated.

For those who cant take the sugary stuff, i use some drink mix that is sugar free, Its called Replenish sprots mix. Can get it at walmart and it comes in those wonderfull single serve packets.

On a side note dont overhydrate either, its just as bad to your system.
If it helps we rode to Newport on Monday 71 miles round trip, was about 105 the whole way, and we drank about 8 botles of water/Sports mix each. Afterwords we were still a bit dehydrated.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Obsessing over 1 LB of fluid loss? What do you weigh? 210?

When I used to run 50Ks I would not be concerned until I lost in excess of 5 LBS. I remember the SOB in the Ashland Oregon with temps in to 90s - I drank over 3 gallons of fluid in 7 hours and still came in 7 LBS lighter than when I started at 155 LBS. That might have been a problem but I lucked out and was back to normal in less than a week.

As I see it... as a percent of body weight, your 1 LB of fluid loss is statistically irrelevant.

Good roadie points for obsessing though - :)

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
This is the best I've found:
http://eletewater.com/

Sea salt concentrate with trace minerals.

Add it to a Camelbak or a water bottle; no sugars, no stuff in it that's going to contaminate your bottle if you leave it in the sun...

On long road rides, when you're really hot and your heart rate is up, you can squirt your waterbottle with eletewater through your helmet, cool your head, and effectively lower your heart rate. Try this with Accelerade... nevermind.

As an added bonus, for any women that could benefit from the information, I've found that eletewater combined with Sportlegs the day before, day of onset and second day completely relieves monthly cramps. Found this out at a race one time. I was shocked, because I often suffer debilitating cramps, although I have a rather high pain threshold. I was relieved of any and all muscle pain. It was glorious.

Available from almost ANY bike shop, as they both vend through QBP.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
On long road rides, when you're really hot and your heart rate is up, you can squirt your waterbottle with eletewater through your helmet, cool your head, and effectively lower your heart rate. Try this with Accelerade... nevermind.

Not a very effective use of water unless you have an unlimited supply readily available.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Yeah, most of us Roadies only carry a couple water bottles on teh long rides. really really hate the backpack on the road. Back gets to sweaty, body gets overheated ETC. I prefer to plan out a few stops for refills myself