Quantcast

how much to cater a 120 person wedding?

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Our wedding coming up in Oct. is 80 people. The food line-up is taaaaaasty and we are looking at about 3,000. Definitely one of the biggest expenses by far.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
N8 said:
Lower-Mid grade fair will cost you roughy $5-$8/plate...

Do you live in some kind of alternate universe where everything is dirt cheap? What is that, Happy Meals for everyone?

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
BeerDemon said:
Do you live in some kind of alternate universe where everything is dirt cheap? What is that, Happy Meals for everyone?
I would figure more like $12 - $20, dependent on the offering. That wouldn't include a beverage besides, perhaps iced tea.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
BeerDemon said:
no sh!t!

mud'n'sweat said:
Our wedding coming up in Oct. is 80 people. The food line-up is taaaaaasty and we are looking at about 3,000. Definitely one of the biggest expenses by far.
congrats!

So, ~$37.50/person

we just got a bid for $79/person, not including alcohol.

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
LordOpie said:
no sh!t!

congrats!

So, ~$37.50/person

What in the Lord's name do you plan to feed them?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Includes:
2 service captains and 15 service staff
non-alcoholic beverages and they'll be serving the alcohol we provide.
passed hors d'oervres
first course
breads
seated dinner (surf and turf -- salmon in port wine and beef medallion OR vegetarian diner)
and desert (Wedding Cake that they're making)

EDIT: I'm gonna tell them to get it to $50/person.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Our wedding was about $75/ person w/out the wedding cake (friend made ours).

This included the tables/chairs and all the settings (outside event), booze, including an 1 hour cocktail reception with hors d'oervres, about a dozen servers, and a TON of really good food. I forget what we had - but everyone else LOVED it. We were too busy socializing to eat.

kizzi77

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
nashvegas
LordOpie said:
Just curious if any of you are in the business or recently have purchased catering services?
Just go to vegas!

Seriously, unless someone else is paying for it....just use the money and fly to europe, or the beach or the mountians and have fun rather than waste the money. It doesn't payoff with gifts, either!

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
LordOpie said:
congrats!

So, ~$37.50/person

Yeah, keep in mind this also included all furnishings such as linens, plates, glases, etc. Did not include alcohol either.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I have no idea as her parents paid. But I do know that aside form the honeymoon it was the biggest expense of our wedding. We had some awsome food though.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
N8 said:
For a guy who buys ridiculously overpriced TVs, you have no grasp on what good food costs.

Figured $25-45 a plate for something decent (including hors doeuvres, soup, salad, main course, desert). This is something simple, and not a fancy insane dinner. One of my best friends was married 2 years ago, he spent well over $120/plate for a fancy spanish dinner, imported stuffed pineapple sorbet desserts etc.

This is accurate to within about 12-18 months (helping friends do wedding stuff).

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Transcend said:
For a guy who buys ridiculously overpriced TVs, you have no grasp on what good food costs.
Why pay all that money on a wedding when you can use it to buy bikes... [looks over shoulder to make sure wife is not around]

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I don't know why more people don't take all that money they spend on weddings and just do a lavish honeymoon instead.

Like say, go to Fiji and get married on the beach with a couple of friends to witness.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
N8 said:
I think he was just talking about $5-$8 to have someone put a plate in front of the guests. Putting food on the plate however is extra.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Hmmm...I work for a VERY high end catering outfit here in Jackson Hole, we just did a wedding that hovered around $200-$220 a person, for 200 people. The customers happen to own Jackson Hole Ski resort, so that was a bonus. You can't even imagine the quality and variety of the food. We had thirty or so employees, just doing the cooking and serving. Five open bars, all with top shelf (grey goose, bookers, Chivas, etc). The booze was extra. Crazy $$$$$.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Tenchiro said:
I don't know why more people don't take all that money they spend on weddings and just do a lavish honeymoon instead.

Like say, go to Fiji and get married on the beach with a couple of friends to witness.
That's what we did. We had a small wedding party, invited less people, and spent 17 days on honeymoon, eating, drinking and buying without reservation or worry.

When anyone asked what we wanted as a gift I asked them to donate to the honeymoon fund.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
BeerDemon said:
Echo said:
I think he was just talking about $5-$8 to have someone put a plate in front of the guests. Putting food on the plate however is extra.
DRB said:
6 kegs of beer and 20 packs of hotdogs and 20 packs of hotdog buns.

That should do it.
Rep times three.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
So in five years how many of those 120 people are going to mean anything to you? Sharpen the pencil L'oopie - Vegas is less expensive and way more fun. Its not like you need the approval of society to validate your existance...

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
DRB said:
6 kegs of beer and 20 packs of hotdogs and 20 packs of hotdog buns.

That should do it.
Sounds like a Texas thing. :think:

The Wedding Song by Charlie Robison (With Natalie Maines)

Well, you are still here
And I am still here
Whether I ever loved you is
Not perfectly clear
You went a semester to West Texas State
But the freshmen fifteen you gained
Killed all your dates
I guess I still love you if I ever did
And I can see myself having a couple of kids
And we will get by
For the rest of our lives

So play the Cotton-Eyed Joe
For the folks don't you know
Keep the dogs in the truck
Til you leave
We got some wieners and buns
When the brisket's all gone
For our wedding in suburban Seguin

Well, I am still here
And you are still here
Whether I ever loved you is
Not perfectly clear
Though weight's not an issue you have gained more
And when I said I do well I slammed all the doors
To a future where I could see Paris in spring
And I wasn't prepared for the weight of this ring
But we will get by
For the rest of our lives

So play the Cotton-Eyed Joe
For the folks don't you know
Keep the dogs in the truck
Til you leave
We got some wieners and buns
When the brisket's all gone
For our wedding in suburban Seguin

So play some old BTO
For my friends don't you know
Keep your dogs in the truck
Til you leave

Get out the wieners and buns
Cause the briskets all gone
At our wedding in suburban Seguin

I said I love you in suburban Seguin
Now lets make love

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Full Trucker said:
Ahem... don't you mean 121? :mumble:
Dude, every time I hang with you, I have fun, but I can't invite you. Literally. The place has a 120 capacity and we're upsetting some family already who isn't invited or not allowed to invite their friends.

As for honeymoon, no worries, two weeks in Italy.

What some of y'all aren't getting is that it's not about other people, it's for and about my future wife. This will be her one and only wedding day, which is why we've hired an amazing photographer and a videographer too.

How much is $15-20k going to mean to us when were old? Not nearly as much as the memories. Ya know, assuming we can remember :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
LordOpie said:
Dude, every time I hang with you, I have fun, but I can't invite you. Literally. The place has a 120 capacity and we're upsetting some family already who isn't invited or not allowed to invite their friends.

As for honeymoon, no worries, two weeks in Italy.

What some of y'all aren't getting is that it's not about other people, it's for and about my future wife. This will be her one and only wedding day, which is why we've hired an amazing photographer and a videographer too.

How much is $15-20k going to mean to us when were old? Not nearly as much as the memories. Ya know, assuming we can remember :D

The thing is no one remembers the food.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
her mom will :)

EDIT: my wife will too. She went to Culinary school in NY and is very skilled, so the food has to very much not suck.