Quantcast

how much water?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Simple answer - no. How much water you need depends on many factors. How hot is it outside? How humid? How much are you exercising? How much do you sweat? What altitude are you at? Are you always thirsty?

8 cups a day is still the standard for a normal person not working out. I've read other theories such as take your body weight X 50 to 75%. The you add from there if you are in a dry climate, and more if you are doing a strenuous workout. That is the number of ounces you should drink a day. You should check out how much body weight you lose during a typical workout..it's mostly water weight and then you can calculate how much to drink

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Drink as much water as you can. My buddy is a trainer and he drinks a gallon jug full of water daily. He makes himself drink the entire gallon every day.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
LordOpie said:
Very dangerous advice when you don't address electrolytes.
True, but "most" people eat enough sodium (amongst other electros) throughout the day to make hypna... (over hydration) a non-issue.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I usually drink 4 Nalgenes-full of water a day. That's 4 liters (~128 oz). Granted I work out almost every day with either a run or a ride and it's hot as hell here in Arizona... To help out with vitamins, minerals, etc. I usually mix in an Emer'gen-C packet with one of the liters. This isn't gospel, I'm not a freak about making sure I suck down 4 entire bottles by the days' end, but that's about what I average.

Boomer-61

Chimp
Jul 17, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Urine. Yep, watch the color of your urine. If it's darker than clear yellow or you're not making urine, drink more. If it looks like it did on the way in, back off on the fluids. When not training let thirst be your guide. When on the bike stay ahead of anticipated fluid loss. Keep it simple.

House Man

Chimp
Jun 16, 2006
Orange county NY
there was an article in a recent MBA that said something about too much water can cause an irregularly low sodiom level in the muscles etc. wich could actually cause cramping and fatigue......... Just a thought, I am by no meens an expert. I think a good sports drink diluted w/ water 1/2-1/2 is good for ride days etc. And try to be hydrated before and keep hydrated during. Days w/ no exercise , just listen too your thirst and water is the best.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
I'm with Macko. Keep an eye on your piss. Drink enough to make sure it is always clear. If you exercise a ton and sweat buckets, maybe you need to supplement minerals etc, but if you eat a healthy diet you'll be getting more than enough anyway. A good early warning for electrolyte depletion is muscle twitches.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
I think beer is 85% water so have at least a 12 pack everyday..ha..ha..ha....I hear alot of people mentioning the urine thing also..?