Votes: 4 7.1%
  • $1000 +

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • I'm too cool for TV.

Votes: 11 19.6%

• Total voters
J

JRB

I was thinking from the TV thread. I kind of hate that it seems they are trying to push a new kind of TV. I don't really know about it, but I thought that with HDTV, you would have to ditch your old ones. That hasn't happened yet though. I have not come across anything our '96 RCA wouldn't show.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I buy TV's so rarely I like to do it right and get one that will last. So if I were to buy one today I would drop $1000+ on it. But I wouldn't buy another for at least 10+ years.

J

JRB

Tenchiro said:
I buy TV's so rarely I like to do it right and get one that will last. So if I were to buy one today I would drop $1000+ on it. But I wouldn't buy another for at least 10+ years.
Yeah - but we watch our $140 '96 20" TV every day. That's 10 years by any account.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I paid about $1300 for the Sony Wega 36" that I have now. I would probably never do that again because it's worth less than half that now, about 3 years later. I was also making alot more money back then and I didn't have a mountain bike or snowboard habit either.

J

JRB

I have a friend that has a huge plasma, and it's not a great picture from certain angles, and it pops.

We just got a plasma for work here, like $2000 for an LG, and it didn't come with a mount that is worth a crap. I was amazed that for $2000, you would need to buy anything additional. I know it's stupid what we pay for bikes, but I just don't see the luster in these TVs.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I'll be picking up a new one shortly due to a move where I simply won't have room for the monster tube set.

Was out looking at some nice ones the other day. Not quite as sharp or with as nice contrast as the tube, but only about 100lbs for 60"+. It is worth spending good money on, as I watch tv and really enjoy a good home threatre setup for movies. (3-4 movies a week).

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
loco said:
I have a friend that has a huge plasma, and it's not a great picture from certain angles, and it pops.

We just got a plasma for work here, like $2000 for an LG, and it didn't come with a mount that is worth a crap. I was amazed that for $2000, you would need to buy anything additional. I know it's stupid what we pay for bikes, but I just don't see the luster in these TVs.
Decent wall mounts are $400+ and only go up to 55" tv's (at best buy anyways). LAME>

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
SkaredShtles said:
Yup. I might watch 3-4 movies a month on a good month. And probably a couple hours of broadcast TV...........

Although I've been watching alot of tube over the last 10 days or so. :thumb:
Ya, i can totally see it depending on what you watch.

I watch 3-4 movies a week and probably 10 hours of tv here and there each week (lost, csi 1/2/3, invasion) and some sports?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Transcend said:
I'll be picking up a new one shortly due to a move where I simply won't have room for the monster tube set.

Was out looking at some nice ones the other day. Not quite as sharp or with as nice contrast as the tube, but only about 100lbs for 60"+. It is worth spending good money on, as I watch tv and really enjoy a good home threatre setup for movies. (3-4 movies a week).
I can't beleive your a TV weight weenie:eek:

That being said the new 103" plasma looks pretty damn cool, and would further secure my status as a true Gilligans Island geek

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I paid like $350 for my 27" tube about 10 years ago. It has served me very well, but I am starting to like the wide screen format on some of the flat screens. With Netflix, I get a lot of movies and the old school TV is starting to show it's age.

I also have the surround setup I bought the same year, so you know that's a bit outdated as well. I got a little spoiled at my last job because I was looking, listening, and feeling wicked setups from serious companies in the higher end shops.

At the moment I am torn between a nice flat VS a projector. I think in my current house, a projector might be a bit much, so I think the 37" Panasonic would be nice ($2500 at Fry's). I will also upgrade the sound too, so that is about $3000 total.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
loco said:
Yeah - but we watch our $140 '96 20" TV every day. That's 10 years by any account.
Yeah my current TV cast I think $250, and it still works fine. But if I were to go out today I would want at least a 36" Widescreen HDTV and I know it would be close to $1000 if not more. We watch alot of movies, and play a bit of PS2 and XBox.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I want something to support the full capabilities of my PS3 when it arrives. I hardly watch any broadcast TV, but I watch a lot of movies.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
We have a 13" tv that my granddad gave us. I have it on a cart so if I want a bigger tv, I roll it closer. If I want a smaller tv, I roll if further away. It's all relative man.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Transcend said:
If you aren't watching lost, you are missing out!

Buy the dvds. :wave:
My housemate has season 1 and I am about 1/3 of the way through it. I've been watching Desperate Housewives and Scrubs recently because my wife is into them. I must admit I do like DH.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Probably no more than a couple hundred.

If I really wanted a big tv I'd probably just get a good projector. Also, I'd rather spend the money on good audio.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have to say part of it is watching high-res downloads on my Powerbook. I pulled an episode of Lost that the wife and I missed and it looked so much better on the Mac than on the TV. That got me thinking that I may need a new TV.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
jimmydean said:
I have to say part of it is watching high-res downloads on my Powerbook. I pulled an episode of Lost that the wife and I missed and it looked so much better on the Mac than on the TV. That got me thinking that I may need a new TV.
Yup. Lost looks AMAZING in hi-rez hi-def.