Quantcast

How necessary is a long stem for climbing?

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
I'm building up a trail bike, and am trying to figure out what stem will work. Right now, I have a 120mm Bontrager stem on there, but it's simply too long for me on this new (to me) frame. And long stems make descents feel super sketchy. I know I need a shorter stem, but I'm trying to decide how short I can go. I would like a 50 or 60mm stem, because I like the feel of shorter stems much more. However, I don't know if this will make the bike climb like crap. I can knock the fork down to 85mm, and lock it out if necessary. But will this short of a stem put my weight too far rearward for climbing? I can adjust the seat/etc to make sure I have good arm/leg extension and such...but the seatpost is pretty slack, so the higher I have it the further back my weight goes. So, in short...is a long(ish) stem necessary for decent climbing abilities or not? Thanks, -Chris

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
cjcrashesalot said:
So, in short...is a long(ish) stem necessary for decent climbing abilities or not? Thanks, -Chris
I'd say strong legs are the only necessity for good climbing. Stem length will vary quite a bit based on your torso/arm length and style of riding.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
There's no way for anyone to know stem length will affect the ride of your bike. It depends on your measurements and the frame size, angles, tt length, etc.

Usually, of course, throwing on a 50mm in place of a 120 will harm climbing performance if you have any steep climbs. Also, shorter stems can adversely affect regular handling by putting too much weight on the rear wheel.

If you want a shorter stem, I suggest going to a shop and maybe installing a few lengths to see what feels good or just buy something between 50 and 120. Going down to a 90 mm might be a good start.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
JRogers said:
There's no way for anyone to know stem length will affect the ride of your bike. It depends on your measurements and the frame size, angles, tt length, etc.

Usually, of course, throwing on a 50mm in place of a 120 will harm climbing performance if you have any steep climbs. Also, shorter stems can adversely affect regular handling by putting too much weight on the rear wheel.

If you want a shorter stem, I suggest going to a shop and maybe installing a few lengths to see what feels good or just buy something between 50 and 120. Going down to a 90 mm might be a good start.
As for the handling...the bike is an 04 enduro SX, so a 4x bike designed around a shorter stem. I just put on a 50mm stem stolen from my jump bike and it made the SX handle very well. Of course, that was on flat ground, not on any ascents. I put the seat up and set the bike up for climbing position, and the 50mm felt a little short. Not by much though. I think something in the range of 60-80 would be ideal...maybe I'll just buy a cheap 70mm or so stem and go from there.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
cjcrashesalot said:
I'm building up a trail bike, and am trying to figure out what stem will work. Right now, I have a 120mm Bontrager stem on there, but it's simply too long for me on this new (to me) frame. And long stems make descents feel super sketchy. I know I need a shorter stem, but I'm trying to decide how short I can go. I would like a 50 or 60mm stem, because I like the feel of shorter stems much more. However, I don't know if this will make the bike climb like crap.
Here's an idea - put barends on after you've swapped to a shorter stem. Now you can have the stability you like with the option to get further out over the front on steep/long climbs.

I know, I know......... barends?!? The horror!! :eek: :D

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
Some will say that you must have a longer stem to create "proper" body positioning and avoid lifting the front end off the ground while climbing steep sections… and there is much truth to that.

However, I think it’s best to ride what you’re comfortable with. I’ve been climbing everything in Tahoe with a 50mm stem for the past 5 years, and I love it. We have many steep climbs that are comparable to steep sections world wide, also, it can be very loose in the summer so rear traction is often sub-par. I still prefer a shorter stem over a longer one.

But it’s really only my preference.:)

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
SkaredShtles said:
Here's an idea - put barends on after you've swapped to a shorter stem. Now you can have the stability you like with the option to get further out over the front on steep/long climbs.

I know, I know......... barends?!? The horror!! :eek: :D

That's a pretty good idea...but bar ends?:hot: I may be ridiculed off the mountain, haha. But seriously, I'll have to look into it...what's the 'rule'? Only barends on flat bars? Haha

Yea, I definitely hear ya on preferring a shorter stem. I think I may just suck it up and go with the 50-60mm option, then if climbing isn't working out well....barends!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
It's all about body position and where your weight is. A longer stem simply helps "force" your weight forward. If you're good about getting bent over on climbs, you shouldn't have any problem regardless of stem length. Switch to a shorter stem and be more aware of your weight while you get used to it. It shouldn't be a problem.

BTW - I run a 100mm stem on my trail bike and it works perfectly for me.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
jacksonpt said:
It's all about body position and where your weight is. A longer stem simply helps "force" your weight forward. If you're good about getting bent over on climbs, you shouldn't have any problem regardless of stem length. Switch to a shorter stem and be more aware of your weight while you get used to it. It shouldn't be a problem.
:stupid:

I use a 90mm stem on my trail bike and it doesn't seem to affect my climbing. I just make sure to get a little more weight forward when climbing really steep stuff. I only seem to get in trouble when I forget to dial down my fork.

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
I have an old mid 90's yeti that I have gone from the original 135/0 stem to a 120/5 that I ran for 7 or so years...both with flat bars. I just recently swicthed to a 100/5 and some .75" riser bars and really havent noticed any difference in climbing...maybe had to weight just a HAIR more but that may have been psychological. I think the older longer stems made it so front biased you had to use zero effort to keep the front down. the trade off in the singletrack and dh stuff is incredible. So much more stable feeling and fast

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Well I just ordered a 70mm hope stem...it should work out well. Long enough to stretch me out on the front end (as far as I could estimate), but short enough to shred the descents. It's a bling silver also:cool: :blah:

I don't really have a problem with adjusting my body position for climbs, but it's just sometimes difficult to hold a less than natural position for extended climbs.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
cjcrashesalot said:
<snip>
I don't really have a problem with adjusting my body position for climbs, but it's just sometimes difficult to hold a less than natural position for extended climbs.
This is a good point. I find that bar ends allow me to stay seated when I would otherwise be off the saddle and losing traction on the rear tire. It also helps on the long commute to work. :D

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
If you have a bike that fits you right a 70 is generally a good tweener length. Sometimes you might want to consider the rise in a stem as well (but you can also play with height with different sized riser bars as well). It's mostly about comfort, that brings security and more confidence. In other words it's mostly in your head, but that's half the battle when you're battling a true technical climb.

In a perfect world you're looking to have enough reach to get comfortably behind the saddle, and pushed out enough you can push way forward without your knees smacking the handlebars...

These bar ends are heavy but they are what i use...
http://www.canecreek.com/ergo_control_ii.html