Quantcast

How often do you wash your ride(s)?

How often do you wash your ride(s)?

• Total voters

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I ride with two guys who NEVER wash their bikes, and give me hell for washing, degreasing and regreasing after every long ride.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I usually wash my bikes on Friday night, before the weekend rides. Typically, I wash my bikes 4 times before I ever wash my truck...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I wash my bikes when they are dirty enough to bring dirt into the house. I don't get very detailed when I do clean them.

I do have a friend that washes his bike to showroom condition after each ride, but shows up to each ride with an unlubed chain, two flat tires and a handfull of other problem that everyone else has to wait for him to fix. For years I have tried to convince him to make sure his bike works during the hours he spends polishing it instead of doing it during times in which we should be riding.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
SkaredShtles said:
I almost never wash my bike. But I will admit I've been forced to a couple times by mud. :mad:
I don't see a lot of mud down here, so jeez, I must be a little obsessive-compulsive...

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
If it's dirty... whenever it starts to build up in the tight spots I will usually do a quick rebuild to get the mud out and to grease it.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
If it's dirty and performance suffers (ie: shifting / braking) I'll clean, lube, and make adjustments. I also can't stand any squeeks. I try to fix those right away. I end up doing this a lot as my wife and I both ride almost everyday.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
stinkyboy said:
I don't see a lot of mud down here, so jeez, I must be a little obsessive-compulsive...

Usually the mud which ends up requiring a wash is that stuff that sticks to everything like friggin' glue and then piles up in the chainstays & fork until the wheels don't move.

Although I've found if you let it dry you can often times shake enough off to avoid a wash. :dead:

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
I dont really wash the bike, just flick off the dried chunks of mud with my fingers and take a brush to the chain/cassette once in a while

I usually give it a good clean down at the end of the year when i bring it inside for trainer duty though

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
When I lived in Phoenix,...... Never. It's just dust. White lightning did the trick on the chain.

Now, in Virginia, still almost never except when warranted by mud and poor shifting.

My SS rarely gets any love from a cloth, but sees a lot of trail.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Once in a blue moon, but usually i'll just wait for the mud to dry and brush it off with my gloved hand.

i really should take better care of my chain and cassette, but i ride so much i don't care, since i have to replace both yearly or more anyways.....

Bikey's is tools they are not art. The ride is art.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
In the winter right now, i wash them after every ride with soap and warm water, then lube them after...

In the summer once every 2 or 3 weeks, unless it gets real muddy, then i do it right away...

I hate riding bikes that are dirty and not working...

stinkyboy said:
A brilliantly designed frame with beautiful and very effective components = Art.

A WalMart bike = A Tool's tool.
There's a trap in the art concept. One can wind up more focused on the polishing than the riding.

I wash the bike if it gets ungodly dirty or it's not performing, prior to doing maintenance. If I'm bringing it into a shop for work, I wash it first out of respect for the mechanics.

Tell your buddies to shut up and ride.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
kidwoo said:
You degrease your bike after every ride in arizona?

You talking pivots, bb or what?
I completely disassemble all of my bikes after every ride.

:think:

Nah, after a careful blast of water at the car wash, I degrease/regrease the chain, cassette and rear. My addiction to the smell of Triflow may have something to do with this...

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Skookum said:
You do way more damage to your bike doing that than just leaving it dirty. noob.....:p
Yeah yeah, that's my buddies' arguement.

Also, my bikes occupy the entryway and part of my garageless condo's living room, and bumping into dusty bikes is not fun for guests...

:rolleyes:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
stinkyboy said:
Also, my bikes occupy the entryway and part of my garageless condo's living room, and bumping into dusty bikes is not fun for guests...

Doesn't bother me, if my guests don't like my dirty bikey's well then they can stand out on the patio in the cold for all i care.:p

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Skookum said:
Doesn't bother me, if my guests don't like my dirty bikey's well then they can stand out on the patio in the cold for all i care.:p
It's all about keeping the girlies happy at la casa de Stinky...

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
BigMike said:
Usually for me its about keeping me happy in the girlies casa de stinky...:eek:
:D

Must refrain from posting inappropriate pix...Must refrain from posting inappropriate pix...Must refrain from posting inappropriate pix...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
My street bike is clean enough for surgery, and my 26" is fairly clean - I never allow caked mud to build up. A clean bike is long lasting and well working bike.