Quantcast

How often do you...

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
How often do you go through and rebuild/clean your bike?

I have my bike completely disasembled right now. All the linkages and everything pulled off the bike so I can throughly clean everything and check the pivot bearings. I do this at least twice a year. I was just wondering how often everyone else does a total rebuild/cleaning of their bike?

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Usually after every race or a big weekend riding. for the DH bike at least....the XC. i almost never work on.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
rebuild haven't done one in 3 years, aka never. wanted to do one this year. clean my bike, just a hose down, nearly every ride, a proper clean as much as i can(about every 3 weeks). why you ask?

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
I do a general cleaning after every weekend typically, the usual hose wash, re-lube everything, check cables, tension, wear and tear, brakes.

I usually do a complete rebuild twice a year, sometimes more. It's a mix of sometimes needing it/shear boredom/alcohol consumption/i like to work on bikes.

-Adam

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
usually in the winter i take it all apart and clean them up pretty nice... during the year i wash them usally after 1 or 2 trail rides... I relube the chain once a week.. of course with one ride in mud i am cleaning it really well

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
3-4 times yearly. It's just so nice to have nice, clean, well lubed bikes. Speaking of which, I need to love my dh bike some more. It's been at least a year since I tore it down :(

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
I have torn down my bike three times so far this year and I didn't get it until almost the beginning of May. I can't stand when bike my bike makes any noises that it shouldn't :mumble: .

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
clean and inspect after every session. thourough disassemble and re-grease every bolt once every 4-6 weeks. headset every 2-3 weeks. change fork oil every month. around here we make 8-10+ runs a day almost every sat. and sun. with 6-8 runs one weekday a week during summer months.

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
I'll do a rebuild whenever I feel it is necessary. I just did my sunday a couple weeks ago after a horribly rainy collegiate season and found that every single bearing was frozen... After a bunch of hours with degreaser, chainlubes, etc I was able to get all of them repacked with grease and spinning smooth again. Generally I will do little stuff as needed throughout the year anf then a complete overhaul before putting the bike away for the snowy season. Other bikes generally only see the as-needed work.

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
dhmtbj said:
I just did my sunday a couple weeks ago after a horribly rainy collegiate season and found that every single bearing was frozen... After a bunch of hours with degreaser, chainlubes, etc I was able to get all of them repacked with grease and spinning smooth again.

I'd replace those bearings.

Complete rebuild every winter. Complete tuneup once a week during riding months.(March to November)

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
ViciousDHer said:
I'd replace those bearings.

Complete rebuild every winter. Complete tuneup once a week during riding months.(March to November)
I'll be keeping an eye on them for sure and will replace them if they go to crap but I'm saving every penny I can for paying for school so I'm willing to see how long they will last :thumb:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I rip my DH bike apart around every month, but that's because I'm a mechanic. I will dial it in before every race, too.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
skyst3alth said:
It's a mix of sometimes needing it/shear boredom/alcohol consumption/i like to work on bikes.

-Adam
I must say my rebuilds happen for just those reasons you listed. The majority of the time my rebuilds happen around midnight. I just get bored and something inspires me to tear my bike apart?? It just sucks because everytime you find something little that needs replaced and I never seem to have that piece:mumble: and the shops are not open at midnight.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
3 - 4 times a year unless something is making noise, breaks, or I have been riding in weird conditions. (Muddy, rain, etc)