Quantcast

how old?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
how old were you when your parents trusted you enough to leave you on your own.

once my older brother hit 17....we were on our own.

shenanigans ensued.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
13 when the 'rents divorced. During the week I fended for myself until my mother returned from work at midnight. Only had one 'fire' incident. I got it quickly under control but there was a palm sized hole burned into the carpet.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have much older sibs, but was home alone by 13. I called the cops on my 14th birthday so I could get the place cleared out before the folks got home. :rofl:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I have much older sibs, but was home alone by 13. I called the cops on my 14th birthday so I could get the place cleared out before the folks got home. :rofl:
i prank called my mom at work saying i was a virginia state trooper...that her son steve was in a serious accident....when she calmed down i told her it was me and i was going to DC instead of school....she was kind of pissed but laughed it off when i got home.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Young. I remember being free reign before I moved to OC, which was when I was 10. I grew up with a single dad though, so we had a lot of flexibility.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I think if your child can't prepare a meal for itself at 6/yo. Then only limited support should be offered to said child anyways. Prison will sort him or her out....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My 10 Y/O nephew isn't even allowed outside the house unless a mom/dad is within 20 feet. Friggin' parents these days.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Hmm I was about age 8 when dad would give me a map, compass one of his good hunting knives tell me he'd meet me at a certain grid reference in 24 hours, find my own food and water on the way.

Left home alone? From a really early age.... Dammed if I can remember how old but not long after I started school.

Was living on my own at age 17.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
For me? Grade school, third or fourth grade. For the most part though I really think it depends on the child and how fast they mature, my buddies kid is eleven, he is left home alone all the time, probably since he was eight... There is a garage full of beer, a safe full of guns, and there is no reason at all to not trust the kid.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
I reckon by about age 10 I was free to roam at will about 5km in any direction from home as long as I was home by dark. By 13 or so as far as my bike would take me and back.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I was 4 when my parents found me a 1/8 mile from the house in a briar patch with our dogs. That was about the worst you could do on a dead end dirt road with a couple of gentile country bumpkin neighbors. They left me at home about the time I could start the wood stove up by myself. Maybe 10...

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
12-13-ish. so lil bro was 10-11.
i think we scared off all the baby sitters in mom & dads cache buy then.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My little brother was 6/7 when we left the projects. He was allowed to do whatever he wanted. He however had to live in some pretty lousy places with my Mom. Jersey City in the 80's was a pretty rough place.....

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
My parents left for a week when I was 15. My older brother was 10 miles down the road but never checked in on me.

Very first day they left, I tried to bunnyhop my bicycle over a curb and down a three foot drop, into another parking lot. I clipped the curb w/ my back tire which sent me directly to my face in the second parking lot.

Full scorpion slide on my face. Lost all the skin on one side, skin from the backs of my hands(!!) and skin from the back of my shoulder.

They didn't find out until they got home...
Good times.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
my family is dead to me they used to pad lock me in the tennis court with chalk and a bicycle

they froze in appalachia the oil ran dry ;)

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Wanted to add that thanks to the advent of meth and everyone having a car, no way could I leave my 10 year old at home by herself since we got hit by meth head's needing gold/silver/jewelry and the percoset out of our medicine cabinet last summer.

Crap like that wouldn't happen when I was a kid. We didn't have anything worth stealing then. Just driving to the pawn shop would break a thief's budget back then.

Last edited: