Quantcast

How safe is Facebook?

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I know I should be a little more savvy than this, but for a 13 yo boy with contacts in Scouts across the country, is Facebook relatively safe?

My son only gets to use the computer to check email and go to Web sites that check out and he uses the computer while me or Mom are in watching/listening distance, but still....

No way he's doing MySpace but since a lot of his other Scout friends use Facebook, was wondering about thoughts from you interweb savvy and clean cut kids on the Monkey.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
He's safer on facebook than he is in scouts anyways...

What kind of grown man wears an outfit like that anyways? I'll tell you who: A kiddy fiddler.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i'd say facebook is pretty safe, just set his profile to private so only his friends can see it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The big thing about facebook is that you choose who you accept as friends and who can see your profile.

One negative I have seen is that I have several groups of friends, including a group of teenagers who I coached in cycling. Facebook makes it easy to become friends within my group of friends, so I have seen a few of the newbs become friends with each other, despite that their social circles do not intersect.

Last edited:

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
If your kids 13 I say let him go on facebook. And stop watching over him, just tell him to set his profile so that only friends can view it and don't friend people he doesn't know.

I know I should be a little more savvy than this, but for a 13 yo boy with contacts in Scouts across the country, is Facebook relatively safe?

My son only gets to use the computer to check email and go to Web sites that check out and he uses the computer while me or Mom are in watching/listening distance, but still....

No way he's doing MySpace but since a lot of his other Scout friends use Facebook, was wondering about thoughts from you interweb savvy and clean cut kids on the Monkey.
-> not <-

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. Her uncle planned the whole thing and then altered her myspace page.

Jacques, 42, the girl's uncle, is accused of orchestrating her kidnapping.
Prosecutors say Jacques planned to initiate her into a sex ring and that he faked and altered postings to her MySpace pages in an effort to throw off investigators, indicating she'd run off with someone she met through the social networking site MySpace.com.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Her uncle in VT and stepfather in TX and possibly others, and the whole nasty mess involved at least two young girls. Other adults were involved to a greater or lesser extent.
For all the parents out there: Your kid is much more likely to be abused or killed by a member of your family or your church than a stranger.

Have a nice day!

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Just encourage him to stay away from the internet in general. How often does he see this group in real life? Is it necessary to be connected electronically too?

That being said, he'll get an account if he wants one, better that you know about it than not.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Just encourage him to stay away from the internet in general.
I don't agree, all kids should learn to use the internet. The internet is an integral part of my job.....how else would I post on ridemonkey from work? :biggrin: