Quantcast

how short is to short (steerer tube)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Ok so I grabbed a used fox Float 80mm fork for my TOP...What I didnt realize is that it was going to be a tad bit short. Right now the way stack height is on the king h/s there is about 1/2" of space between the top of the steerer and the top of the stem (thompson)...What are your thoughts does this pose a risk?

I would like to keep the fork around in anticipation of getting a howie in the coming months which the headtube is about .3 "s shorter (along with a zero stack hs...

Just asking, thanks for the help.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
How much of the stem is actually on the steerer? I'd say if you've got at least 75% of the stem on the steerer, you shoud be good.

You could get a stem with a shorter stack height. I've got the Sic Classic and is has a super low stack height. There are also a lot of bmx stems with low stack heights.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
If you want to keep the stem you need a different steerer/fork.. you could probably resell it and of contact fox for a replacement whichever you think will cost less.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
If it goes up to the top of the 2nd stem bolt i would just ride it..

I would make sure the steerer goes a little over 1/2 way through the stem at least .

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Are the steerer tubes on the Fox forks steel? I lengthened a Rock Shox Pike by an inch by having a piece butt-welded on. I would only feel safe w/ steel and only adding an inch or less onto it.

I think the SIC or BMX stem is the cheapest/easiest/safest way to go. Use it until the new frame gets to you and then just sell it.

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
yup, about 3/4 of the way thru the stem is pretty safe. As long as the upper clamp bolt is clamping on some of the tube, you should be good.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Are the steerer tubes on the Fox forks steel? I lengthened a Rock Shox Pike by an inch by having a piece butt-welded on. I would only feel safe w/ steel and only adding an inch or less onto it.

I think the SIC or BMX stem is the cheapest/easiest/safest way to go. Use it until the new frame gets to you and then just sell it.
The new frame will actually resolve this problem so it is more temporary...:monkeydance:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I feel dumb even asking this being that i worked in a shop for almost 6 years...But what can happen i mean i guess the step could tear off the top of the steerer on a hard impact but i just cant see that happening with the bottom bolt totally clamped and the star nut fastened...

Just something to think about, what is the weight of the nemisis stems compared to the thompson? I really like the clean racey design of the thompson stuff...

_Bill

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
just get a new stem for it...that fork will be awesome on that bike.
Yeah that is what im thinking as long as i dont go agro on it i am a bit skeptical after riding big forks for year but i downsized the dh bike to a 36 and now the dj to a 32...all about riding light now hopefully i wont regret it and end up with an x - ray thread (knock on wood)...

PS landon seems to think ill blow up the 32 but i have pretty good luck with fox.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
here are the weights:
thomson x4----- 156
thomson reg----- 160
nemesis pro------ 220 w/ bolts, lighter with ti or hollow bolts, also i think its one of, if not the lightest bmx stems out there

the nice thing about the nem pro is you can run 25.4 bars or the new line of bmx sized mtn bars designed for street, park and dirt riding

and ps you will probably be fine on the 32 float, a bunch of dudes i used to ride with back in co had them on their street bikes and punished the **** out of them with out any problems

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
here are the weights:
thomson x4----- 156
thomson reg----- 160
nemesis pro------ 220 w/ bolts, lighter with ti or hollow bolts, also i think its one of, if not the lightest bmx stems out there

the nice thing about the nem pro is you can run 25.4 bars or the new line of bmx sized mtn bars designed for street, park and dirt riding

and ps you will probably be fine on the 32 float, a bunch of dudes i used to ride with back in co had them on their street bikes and punished the **** out of them with out any problems
Thanks man yeah im running the thompson regular 50mm and i am just a huge fan of thier styling and what not, i love the nemisis stuff but just cant see a reason to change it up...I think ill be ok when i move to the tonic fab...

Good to know about the float, I am not a big move rider i would rather do work on the techy type stuff so i should be alright...Cant wait to get all the kinks worked out and get my new frame. Now if i could just score a decent rear hub. :bonk: