Quantcast

How short is too short

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Skirts and work. How much can I get away with? While I know there are few women around here any more, I'd like input from them.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This place is very conservative. Very few women wear skirts, most are over 50 so thank god to that. A few years ago we hired a marketing manager who was about your age. She wore a few businesslike just above the knee skirts and she got a lot of comments behind her back from the fat 50 year old crowd that runs this joint. She had to change the way she dressed. Might be different where you are if the place isn't overrun with pathetic fat old men.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
This place is very conservative. Very few women wear skirts, most are over 50 so thank god to that. A few years ago we hired a marketing manager who was about your age. She wore a few businesslike just above the knee skirts and she got a lot of comments behind her back from the fat 50 year old crowd that runs this joint. She had to change the way she dressed. Might be different where you are if the place isn't overrun with pathetic fat old men.
And this is the information I was looking for. I don't think I have a feel for the place I work for well enough to decide this yet, so I am just going to play it safe.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I work at a law firm in downtown Richmond. ALL skirts I have seen from the young girls to the more mature ladies all have the skirts below the knee.

A short skirt can tend to piss of most of the other girls because they will figure you would be promoted on your legs and not your merits. AND, most guys will attempt to get inside said skirt.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS err on the side of conservative professionalism.

That is unless of course your an exotic dancer..... :D

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Mini skirts are not allowed at my company. Women rarely wear any type of skirt here. For the women who do dress nice, pant suits seem to be the style of choice. They wouldn't have to worry about comments behind their backs though like Westy mentioned because the women to men ratio here is probably about 10 to 1.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
You should just make sure it is just above your stockings, so people can start threads on their forum of preference talking about it.

If you play your cards right, someone will hit on you and you can throw a brick through their car window.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
A short skirt can tend to piss of most of the other girls because they will figure you would be promoted on your legs and not your merits. AND, most guys will attempt to get inside said skirt.
I was kind of worried about this too. I am one of the few women that wears skirts in the first place, and most of the women I work with are older, teacher types. Not that I would get any promotion that would affect them in anyway because of the organization of the company, but still.

As for guys, there aren't too many in the building, but the ones who are, are my bosses. Collin said the skirt wasn't too short but I changed anyway.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Mini skirts are not allowed at my company. Women rarely wear any type of skirt here. For the women who do dress nice, pant suits seem to be the style of choice. They wouldn't have to worry about comments behind their backs though like Westy mentioned because the women to men ratio here is probably about 10 to 1.
I wouldn't dream of a mini skirt, that is asking for trouble. BUt I have one that I was going to wear on "casual friday" that stops about an inch above my knee. I'll save that for "outside of work" laura.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
The shorter the skirt, the more likely you'll get sexually harassed...which is obviously your best bet on earning immense wealth through a lawsuit.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Most of the women around here wear plenty of clothes and that's a good thing.

There are a few hotties that know how to dress nice, but they are the exception, and they can't walk past the manufacturing areas without creating a major disruption.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
speak softly, and carry a big club.

translation:

wear whatever the f*ck you want. if the old biddies don't like it, remind them that their tits only make powdered milk.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I know its strange having this policy where I work, But we do have Office personell<sp> and every once and awhile we have women working out in the shop. But the Rule for us is simple, If the skirt is above the knee, its too short. Its Ok to wear skirts, Business Pants are prefered but skirt are allowed and must be kept professional to the apperance. Oh and just to add, Shorts for the guys, must be in between the kneecap and 1in above the kneecap, same reason, has to be kept a professional apperance at all times, so long baggy shorts are not allowed, if its below your knees, you need to change.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
My prior boss said I could wear one. Still haven't pursued that though.

Whats funny is we had a guy applying to work with us asking the same thing, Dude was hardcore about his heritage, Wore a Kilt to the interveiw and everything......He was told as Long as Nothing "falls" out it was fine....... He ended up failing the pre'emp drug screening anyways.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Whats funny is we had a guy applying to work with us asking the same thing, Dude was hardcore about his heritage, Wore a Kilt to the interveiw and everything......He was told as Long as Nothing "falls" out it was fine....... He ended up failing the pre'emp drug screening anyways.
Gee, ya think? :lighten:

:D

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
That sounds right to me.

We all love women, but work is work, be professional.

Except Laura, she has permission to rock on.
3 inches above the knee seems too short for me for work. i am agreeing with anyone who said anything above the knee is too short.

I am quickly figuring out that my school dress clothes aren't going to work and I need to go shopping fast.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
IMHO, professional corporate skirts should be at or 1"-2"below the knee pit.

Professional stripper/walker/hoodrat/club attire skirts should be 6"-8" above the knee pit.